Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
2 minutes ago, kumquat said:

The stuff of 2010. Now for the high res sat pic of the whole country iced over. :rofl:

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
2 hours ago, lilac_moon said:

Was just going ask if any snow for Swindon 

don't take notice of weather apps, they're an utter waste of time!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I’m Going to be to far south for this to hit I think ?. 

3C2E8431-ABAB-4FC5-9A01-F7D20D437F15.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and stormy, cold and icy!

Here’s what it’s like in Fareham, Hampshire looking south eastward towards Portsmouth Harbour. Mostly clear and a temperature of 0 degrees at 1.45pm but a much colder windchill! 

2603E2B8-330A-40FF-8EBE-0C65FB7F58A7.jpeg

Edited by Mr Bartlettazores
  • Like 1

Posted

Just waiting for the met office notification to pop up on my phone moving the warning away from Southampton for thurs and fri. Its only a matter of time, this week has been just horrendous have barely seen a flake all week. Fair play to the SW though my auntie lives in lizard village looks amazing....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

On the subject of weather Apps. Too much is being made of them - don’t take them literally!! Tomorrow it’ll be a case of radar watching and looking out the window! 

Talking of which.. what time is the snow due to start tomorrow?

• Like 4

Posted
48 minutes ago, Rapodo said:

That is a massive downgrade tomorrow for Dorset east on latest BBC weather!! Looks crap with hardly anything hitting Dorset tomorrow. Guess it's gone west.

My BBC forecast looks actually better this afternoon so don't think it's gone too far (Salisbury), maybe they're just playing tentative with the graphics now? 

Posted
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

Not surprised you're so use to snow, why bother telling you it's coming....:sorry:

We honestly don't get much but we had a great snow day in December :D

Today's showers are passing to the north and that's the norm here really.  The Chilterns tend to suck all the snow out and dump it North of the river. The cold,on the other hand, is no stranger.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Heavy again. Biggest flakes for about 30 secs like 50p pieces. Back to moderate again now. Can see Cumulonimbus to the North. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
32 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Yep got the idea, your not impressed. Might want to have another look tho. Snow tomorrow with more to the sw, then a few hours of snow on Friday with no rain on the graphics bar the far sw. Crap is sw breeze and rain. any forecast with snow is good unless you prefer mild. 

To be fair, there is some discrepancie with the modelling of tomorrow/friday.....in house NMM hi-res seriously tones down the snow signal tomorrow/friday to such of a degree, that east of a line bristol/exeter sees a dusting if anything at all during said time period.....I'm not trying to dampen things down but talk of 'historic blizzards' is a tad premature, a few people are seemingly getting carried away and may up feeling deflated in 48-72 hours time..........soon enough though modelling will be out of the windows as it will become a nowcast/radar watch/sky watch scenario :)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign
49 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

Hi Beka! The moisture is being sucked out of the snow rather than it melting. 

Google "Sublimation".......

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

I don't know where the downgrade rumour has come from, but my met office app has finally updated and its a small upgrade for central Bournemouth. Heavy snow symbols for 10pm tomorrow. And more snow on Friday showing.

• Like 4

Posted
52 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Snow mostly melted here. Despite it being under 0c. The mad thread lied about it not melting!!

Last night's snow melted in the sun this morning even though the temperature hasn't gone above -2c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and dry. Snow would be good though.
4 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

To be fair, there is some discrepancie with the modelling of tomorrow/friday.....in house NMM hi-res seriously tones down the snow signal tomorrow/friday to such of a degree, that east of a line bristol/exeter sees a dusting if anything at all during said time period.....I'm not trying to dampen things down but talk of 'historic blizzards' is a tad premature, a few people are seemingly getting carried away and may up feeling deflated in 48-72 hours time..........soon enough though modelling will be out of the windows as it will become a nowcast/radar watch/sky watch scenario :)

What about the West side of that line?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign
1 hour ago, awoodrow said:

I'll be doing Ringwood to Whitely at 7am tomorrow, will try not to slide into you

I tend to leave Bournemouth at 6am, will try not to spin and block the A31 for you!

Posted
38 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

Lapse rates will start to get crazy from tonight onwards in the South. Correct me if I'm wrong.

lapse rates?....are you referring to 850-500hpa lapse rates?....if so then yes, you've misunderstood what they are.....the lapse rates are the difference in temperature between two pressure boundaries and are often used as one of the parameters used to gauge atmospheric instability.....In the case of frontal zones, lapse rates drop as the atmospheric profiles become saturated with moisture lowering instability....You'll find that lapse rates increase in the passing of a cold front as there are larger temperature differentials through the lower and mid profiles

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 4