Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

The snow here has frozen over! Want another shower or two before tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

A real old blizzard going on down on the Lizard peninsula. Quite a rare sight.

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/lizard_atlantic_house.html

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
4 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Wtf heavier snow now - where has this come from! 

IMG_20180228_081233942.jpg

The snow shower over you on the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
1 minute ago, Gibby said:

How good is that. Love it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
1 minute ago, Gibby said:

Nice to see you posting again.

I would very much be interested in your unbiased views regarding the potential snowfall on Thurs/Fri for our area?

• Like 2

Posted

really hoping for some showers for Bomo today. Fingers crossed for tomorrow - I really need some good news and hope we'll get a covering. I've got a raging tooth infection and I really need cheering up.

Working at home tomorrow in bomo but this is the view from my office window in Fleet this morning..

snow.jpg

Edited by Certain kind of fool
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Morning all, hope you are not too exhausted from all this weather watching ?. Sandwiches between the Cardiff snow and the streamer off the south coast right now, no mans land!

cant wait until tomorrow!!

• Like 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Watching the streamer in the channel, from Bournemouth, it's a fine sight to behold first thing in the morning, convective trail as far as the eye can see.

Can you get a pic?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Pleased to say the atmospheric pressure is dropping here and for the first time that I can remember my weather station has 'snow symbols' flashing!

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, khodds said:

Morning all, hope you are not too exhausted from all this weather watching ?. Sandwiches between the Cardiff snow and the streamer off the south coast right now, no mans land!

cant wait until tomorrow!!

Cheese and pickle please - thanks for offering :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Looks like that blob over the IOW might clip here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Bright sunshine and blue skies here but with temp of -4.3. Have topped up bird feeders and replaced completely frozen water with fresh. Just spotted a very thirsty pigeon on it so please make sure wildlife has food and water if you can :friends:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

Temp got down to -9.2c here last night, dont think we'll be breaking that for a while!

Keeping fingers crossed for all you guys along the south coast today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning, take another look at the webcam Gibby posted, the Lizard is getting absolutely hammered. http://www.camsecure.co.uk/lizard_atlantic_house.html

• Like 1

Good morning everyone, this will probably be my last focus on any snow potential for today. From later this afternoon, I will join the rest of you in assessing the potential for tomorrow's snow event with several analyses. 

Live Radar Charts:                                                                                                                                                                                        NetWeather at 0620                                     NetWeather at 0835                                                                                                                                                      

lastsnowradar_uk.gif  lastsnowradar_no.gif  lastsnowradar.gif   5a964f869fa4d_0630radar.thumb.png.22fe48fd4f502d51859d4203b3248e37.png     rad2.thumb.png.25e1fc000d8b99ee1ed46ebfd9c9a68b.png

Let's look at the current conditions and see what has happened overnight. Our Channel streamer has been edging northwards towards our southern shores but progress has been a little slower than I had expected. I put the NetWeather chart at the end as it is a screen shot and the white run through arrows may not work for it. It shows the position at 0620. As this post will take a while to prepare, I'll pop up the latest one alongside it at the end so that we can better judge the progress. EDIT: at 0835 its getting ever closer and Portsmouth and IOW as well as extreme south of Devon and Cornwall are already getting some snow from it. There is still a line of heavy snow showers in the streamer and they are now tantalisingly close to the extreme south. How far north will they go? Well at least a few of us in the far south and south west close to the coast  should see some action - perhaps the IOW westwards. It now seems likely that more inland areas will miss out today. I can only apologise for raising some of your hopes and I will be delighted if today does turn out closer to my earlier predictions. I'll look at why things have changed slightly in a minute. The snow showers in the south-east have recently cleared. The fractionally south of east veer in the wind meaning that they are now exposed to the shortest sea crossing. Meanwhile, East Anglia northwards will all do well today. As there is now a more direct east to west flow, none of those snow showers will be filtering down towards us. I included the "all France view" chart for the first time. This is so that we can all monitor the progress of the rain and snow from the LP slowly pushing northwards. Right now it is more on an east to east-north-easterly trajectory with all inland parts of north Spain and south west France seeing snow. Much more on this later today.

Standard Satellite                                       Infra Red Sateliitte                  Aroma 0z:    T+1 0100 GMT                                    T+6 0600 GMT                                       T+10 0100 GMT

anim_ir.gif  Technical fault please refer to last post   aromehd-1-1-0.png?28-04  aromehd-1-6-0.png?28-04   aromehd-1-10-0.png?28-04

The satellite images show what I described above. At the time of writing the infra red has a technical fault, so please look at my live chart on page 120 which is still updating. Even more shower activity for the east today. The Aroma "forecast" charts from their 0z output are a little too progressive in moving the streamer away north-westwards. I adjusted the times to GMT. The middle chart shows a narrow streamer than was actually showing on the NetWeather radar for a similar time. This may be a slightly more encouraging sign with the streamer holding on for longer and maintaining intensity for longer while it continues to drift slowly northwards.

Live Pressure                              GIF 24 hours to 0750 Feb 28th                            Live isobars                                     Met O Fax for 0600 Feb 28th             Met O Fax for 0000 Mar 1st                                    

pression2_eur2.png   tempresult_iwr0.gif   pression.png  20180228.0720.PPVA89.png  20180228.0507.PPVE89.png

Well the flow has veered slightly to the east-south-east with winds due east at 0800. It will veer more to the south-east during today as we come more into the huge circulation from the LP to our south-west. I was expecting (hoping) that we would have seen a fraction more veering by now. This tiny difference is what it's all about today. It is why the streamer is not that little bit further north.already. As we come under the LP's influence, that will slowly cut off the convective activity in the Channel. It's really on a knife as to how quickly this will happen. The Met O fax for 0600 shows the trough (the centre of the streamer) hugging our shores. Then by midnight it has maintained the trough and it has crossed into Cornwall. By then (close your eyes Knocker) western Cornwall and the Scilly Isles "may" get a rare dumping. I live on a small hill in the far north-east of Exmouth about 2 miles from the sea. I can just see the sea and horizon from here and I can see the streamer. The northern edge is about 10 miles out to sea and it is a line of low level cumulonimbus clouds. So close for me and others along the south coast from Dorset westwards!.

Fronts & Troughs 0700                                      Live UK temps                               Live UK Dewpoint temps                       Live UK Windchill temps 

analyse-2018-02-28-06.png   temp_uk.png   pointrosee_uk.png   windchill_uk.png

GFS 0z 850s at 1900 Feb 28th                            Live Euro temps                                    Live Euro Dewpoints                              Live Euro Windchill                       

gfs-1-18.png?0?0   temp_eur2.png   pointrosee_eur2.png   windchill_eur2.png   

I'm almost out of time. The lowest surface temps and dewpoints for those closer to the coast were earlier in the night as the slightly onshore wind brings in the moderating effects of the sea. This is NOT (yet) any less cold air moving in due to the LP purely due to the wind direction (more on that later today). In several spots the windchill has already gone below the sub -15 I suggested as possible yesterday - we may even see a sub -20c further north later on. The lowest 850s will be over us by early evening with sub -14s generally and a few sub -16c temps showing in the east. 

So, not so good from me for today but what about tomorrow? 

David

Edited by Guest
Correct typos and check charts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Streamer looks like it’ll miss me by a bit :(

B3A42753-0CBC-4FC8-BFE2-681F93A72035.png