Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
39 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Yes tell me about it lol, got my 1st annual brain scan tomorrow so that’s playing on my mind a bit, but nowhere near as much as snow lol a word from Ian now would be timely ?

Wishing you well for tomorrow Karlos. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Snow depth from Hirlam 18z. Out too 18z Thurs. 

snowdepth_048.thumb.jpg.8f573c9e4ac08aa3615e58abd414d190.jpg

Edited by Mark N
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Mark N said:

HIRLAM really has nailed it ;) 

01SWKblIyq.gif

How is the accuracy of this model generally viewed? I’ve never really used it. 

EURO4 often leaves me a little sceptical.  Take the 9pm to midnight chart for tonight. A blanket of pink from the top of our area north. There’s barely been more than the odd shower or flurry across this area

Posted
1 minute ago, Mark N said:

Snow depth from Hirlam 18z. 

snowdepth_048.thumb.jpg.8f573c9e4ac08aa3615e58abd414d190.jpg

Couldn’t be more different from the ARPEGE hi res output if it tried. 

Basically no one and no model has a bloody clue still do they?

Posted
20 minutes ago, Bring Back1962-63 said:

A brief update (to keep Knocker happy):

All are live charts

pression2_eur2.png  lastsnowradar_uk.gif  lastsnowradar_no.gif  anim_ir_color.gif anim_ir.gif 

pression.png  temp_uk.png  temp_eur2.png  pointrosee_eur2.png  windchill_eur2.png

Scandi HP still it situ and now up to 1057 mb. Flow is now just south of east coming out of France and will be across the whole of the Channel within 2 to 3 hours. Channel streamer slowly moving northwards and northern edge is just touching far south of Devon. it has maintained its intensity in the central and western Channel.  Even more snow showers with some heavier ones crossing North Sea. Low temps across UK with sub -6c in our region but also right down to south France. Overall, good signs for the streamer to change orientation and push into south and south-west coast. "Should" be some heavier snow showers by dawn moving inland from south Dorset coast westwards. . 

Further update; Wednesday am.   David 

EDIT: Thursday's detail is still uncertain, I will review it fully tomorrow afternoon.

I love live charts! Really enjoyed reading this. Thank you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, Matty-H said:

EURO4 often leaves me a little sceptical.  Take the 9pm to midnight chart for tonight. A blanket of pink from the top of our area north. There’s barely been more than the odd shower or flurry across this area

In terms of yesterdays shower alignment from the Easterly it was the closest model. I believe it is held in regard as a short term tool, so it will be tested next few days.. Incidentally, Gem showed similar but was quashed by myself included as progressive and precip signal in a low resolution for our part of the world. Be interested to know more senior views on Hirlam?

Euro 4 precip signal is very poor, even Fergieweather said it is too progressive with showers/etc sometimes. Even showed an area of precip across central london at 6hrs notice when nothing in that area so pinch of salt with the Euro 4 from my own experience, its a shame as we look to that one as not much else for the UK at such a short range, UKV is under lock and key from Met office and paid weather companies... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Now it's passed midnight another of my records has gone. Lowest max temp, 1.9°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, jessandjon said:

Currently -2c dp -6

Balmy. :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

Not sure they'll reach this far west but the showers to the east are starting to move further west.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave
21 minutes ago, Matty-H said:

The rain/snowfall tab can be quite confusing to be fair yes. Shows the blanket of pink like you say. But if you use the precipitation tab instead you will see the precipitation in more detail. Use both together is best tool.

6D92FEAC-1C90-4414-B5EA-E53A4FB61478.gif

• Like 1

Posted

Now this is real cold when it's nearly -5°C on the south coast. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

I'm sure all will be fine, just get a good night's rest and tomorrow we'll see the red warning issued and the army called in :rofl:

Be careful what you wish for... :bomb:

• Like 1

Posted

I’m actually getting a bit concerned for Thursday, as I’m working until 6pm, so getting home may be.... interesting...

But overriding that concern is excitement and a longing for it to happen, bring it :clap:

Posted
4 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

That channel streamer tho. Wow!

if only we could be under something like that for the 3 days it's been there so far. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, dec10snow said:

I’m actually getting a bit concerned for Thursday, as I’m working until 6pm, so getting home may be.... interesting...

But overriding that concern is excitement and a longing for it to happen, bring it :clap:

I'm working til 9.30 in the middle of the countryside !,

Posted

Lots of people still on then? Tried to sleep.. Got a cup of tea. Wondering how long it would take our arsenal of snow ploughs to free the country .. they will have to keep going for days on the same patches - possibly. Or, not. Who knows.