Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
Just now, Leon1 said:

Still at least 6 hours of heavy snow in Bath according to the MetO app

Well when you think how long it took to get at dusting... not long at all. Three hours would be immense. 

It snowed for 10 hours on boxing day here but the ground being so warm meant we ended up with only 2 inches/4-5cm. We've a completely different level of cold now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

So the 18z has delayed the less cold air even more. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

That precipitation looks like it’s headinng west throughout the night.. hope it hits me before it all goes into the Channel

CED2790F-0E25-45A8-8351-A3BAAD3D865A.png

8B22FE5B-1F88-4FFA-AEF2-B7269946F20B.png

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, SizzlingHeat said:

Overall pattern is sending the precip west. Warnings to be downgraded or pushed west if this continues.

Latest

ICON - Yes to West push

GFS - No to West push

Still in the balance. No surprise as some of us been banging on for last couple of days.

Give it another 24 hours and track forecast will prob be 90% correct come 'the day'

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Well trend to keep cold air in south is growing.. snow on sunday now.. :air_kiss:

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

That precipitation looks like it’s headinng west throughout the night.. hope it hits me before it all goes into the Channel

CED2790F-0E25-45A8-8351-A3BAAD3D865A.png

8B22FE5B-1F88-4FFA-AEF2-B7269946F20B.png

Same with a little streamer further North - got my name on it. :D

Posted

Not concerned about the models showing patchier snowfall at the moment because the Met are still going for 12 hours of heavy snow!!! When their app starts downgrading snowfall intensity/length then I’ll take notice 

FD933DC5-3816-4EA0-936A-389EA2DDC24F.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Met Office has snow from Thursday morning into Friday night/Saturday morning

505a1f2aca6ce090e81105ab59fb77b4.png

4727d45216ba4239210cd5dcc6266050.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
Just now, Paul T said:

The 18z GFS is Fantastic. Unreal upgeades for cold and snow into Sunday....

Who knows maybe they can extend our amber warnings into sunday tmoro :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

What breakdown? :unknw:

• Like 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

Though dark, its difficult to tell but look out for diamond dust in the next snow shower. It was one of the most beautiful sights I'd seen during the 2009/10 winter, rare for us here and is the result of bitter cold uppers.

I can only describe the crystals as being like a giant snowflake  (though still tiny they are visible to the naked eye) because they have that weird symmetry. I'm prepared to forego snow and freeze my bits off to see them. They were literally forming under my feet. I wish I'd been able to set up some time lapse photos because it would've been insane

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .
1 hour ago, dec10snow said:

What I find very impressive is the max of -2 for Thursday predicted for me!! -4 the night before means the ground is going to be niceeee and chilled ready for our snow blanket :D

It's already -4 C in my back garden and that's the not the coldest point ! Will interesting to see what happens tomorrow/ Thursday . 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Frosty hollows said:

We have hardly got any snow. Just a dusting that's been frozen over. It's very crystalline and beautifully reflective . I've been out with my torch just watching these crystals (saddo!!). It's actually a stunning night,just make sure you're togged up. Up graded my hat and gloves from Uk winter to Siberian nomad :rofl:

Awesome, and lovely bright moonlight for crystal gazing tonght too :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, Paul T said:

The 18z GFS is Fantastic. Unreal upgeades for cold and snow into Sunday....

Especially for those NE in this thread.

Hirlam looks great for Thursday sends the first band North and less focus on moving it NW at that point..

hitrl.thumb.png.592ac4e5660bf5a106273977059530a4.png 5a95d921a8132_hirlam2.thumb.png.81bae72a759bdc6a1c9082371dd81df8.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted
23 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

-5.6 here in Reading, which demonstrates the difference between here and the Benson frost hollow. Expecting tonight to be the coldest here since February 2012 (-9.6).

I might go shopping in Reading tomorrow just to get warm :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

The only website I’ve seen possible snow accumulations mentioned was one of the Met Office graphics on Twitter was that 20cm was possible Thursday, and 0-15cm on Friday. Personally not worried about precipitation intensity, I think it’ll produce the goods we are looking for.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain
14 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

Still at least 6 hours of heavy snow in Bath according to the MetO app

That would produce large accumulations seeing as it will settle instantly! No rain to snow event :)  

Posted
1 minute ago, Frosty hollows said:

I can only describe the crystals as being like a giant snowflake  (though still tiny they are visible to the naked eye) because they have that weird symmetry. I'm prepared to forego snow and freeze my bits off to see them. They were literally forming under my feet. I wish I'd been able to set up some time lapse photos because it would've been insane

From your description it sounds like a rime frost. But if underfoot, ice that is disturbed with pressure sometimes changes its crystalline state. Too scientific for me to describe in words but pressure raises the surface temp slightly and where you have very cold, clear ice, it become frosted - a bit like (but its not a good analogy) shattering windscreen glass.

• Like 1