Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Should break my min temp record tonight, set in December 2016 at - 4.6c.

Already - 3.3c

• Like 3

Posted

10-15cm of powder snow with a strong breeze will cause chaos on the roads with very large drifts forming quite quickly, it's gonna be fun and i'm looking forward to seeing a proper snow drift something i haven't seen for many years.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Heaviest snow shower of the day so far just passed over and left a dusting :).

Well, it's a start haha

Tried to upload a pic but it isn't working :(

Posted
24 minutes ago, AWD said:

Too be honest, I think he was rushed a bit so just gave some quick broadbrush values to cover the whole region.

Still uncertainty on how far north and west the first system will track.

Going to be a nervy 48hrs I think.

Yes Ian was rushed tonight. The producers of Points West obviously felt a story about knitted knockers (see Points West FB page) deserved more airtime than the forecast for the potential of quite severe weather in our region over the next few days.

As always, Ian was a true professional and did his best to fit as much in as he could in such a short space of time rushing through tomorrow’s forecast to get to Thursday.

Sadly this happens all too often on Points West with Ian given little time to deliver his forecast; even at times of severe weather. I like Points West but sometimes the program can be a waste of half an hour apart from the weather forecast.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, bathweatherwatcher said:

Yes Ian was rushed tonight. The producers of Points West obviously felt a story about knitted knockers (see Points West FB page) deserved more airtime than the forecast for the potential of quite severe weather in our region over the next few days.

Our knocker?

If so, I think that's understandable. That short-term thread is great.

• Like 1

Posted

First post of the winter, dare I say it after watching yet another snowless winter pass we down here in the far west are going to see some proper snow for the first time in nearly 10 years? Getting the camera ready just in case.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

-4.1 temp and -6.4 dew point. It' a cold one. 

No more snow flurries here. I just need to get through till Thursday and keep the Faith! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
1 hour ago, karlos1983 said:

Here’s my rough guess  :D:rofl:

01D32B47-DC9B-4756-9DC0-EA540A8D6B8D.thumb.jpeg.123b3c0c5e1c45f7120039b0eca033f4.jpeg

Just kidding :p

This is my take on events..

Untitled.thumb.png.0849f3d9e3744b07f1e31bc6a512eb4d.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Evening all, had a couple of beefy showers at work today which left a dusting, got home to a more complete covering and it's currently snowing now :-) Don't know if you've all seen it or not but Fergie tweeted earlier today about the amounts of snow over the next few days, standard conversion rates for rain to snow in mm is 10:1 so for every mm of rain, you get 1cm of snow, however because we're talking continental air, very cold and dry he reckons conversion rate will be more like 15:1, a little rain goes a long way with these synoptics :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Lucked out with a heavy snow shower in south Oxfordshire. Approached with really dark menacing skies like an April shower thunderstorm. Great seeing the snow flakes falling about 20 metres in front of you and advancing towards you. Using car thermo, temp dropped from +1 before the shower at 4:30pm to -6 at 6:15pm. Barely a 50% dusting when I got back home though and a balmy -3. Hopefully see some much bigger and more widespread inland convective showers tomorrow with the super cold uppers at their coldest.

The shower approaching and the resulting snow:

Approaching.thumb.jpg.85b01bcdbf8be69a87e8f351abedd3ae.jpgAftermath.thumb.jpg.f7aa1727be5aaaab9011678705410d04.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
9 minutes ago, jtay said:

Our knocker?

If so, I think that's understandable. That short-term thread is great.

A different kind of knocker ?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, MrNooo said:

-3.2C here, what do you reckon you'll get to??? -10C?? What is your record, sure it will be pretty extreme tonight!!

Our record is -17.7 in Dec 2010. Now -6c. It's very very clear so maybe we will hit -10c. That'd be the record this winter I think. We've had several sub -5 nights with -8.2 being the lowest.  I actually like cold crisp weather, but this winter has gone on long enough for me!

• Like 1

Posted

Had some flakes drifting in the wind a couple times today, but just had a slightly heavier one leaving some snow dotted around, layers on cars etc, however with temps and DPs below freezing I would have thought it would have settled everywhere but that’s not the case, odd... Maybe just didn’t have the intensity?

Posted
6 minutes ago, audiotech said:

Lucked out with a heavy snow shower in south Oxfordshire. Approached with really dark menacing skies like an April shower thunderstorm. Great seeing the snow flakes falling about 20 metres in front of you and advancing towards you. Using car thermo, temp dropped from +1 before the shower at 4:30pm to -6 at 6:15pm. Barely a 50% dusting when I got back home though and a balmy -3. Hopefully see some much bigger and more widespread inland convective showers tomorrow with the super cold uppers at their coldest.

Approaching.thumb.jpg.85b01bcdbf8be69a87e8f351abedd3ae.jpgAftermath.thumb.jpg.f7aa1727be5aaaab9011678705410d04.jpg

Ooh a local. Not many of us on here!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A nice 1-2cm here in Yatton that must have fallen from that big shower a few hours ago while I was in Bristol.

-2.6C already so looks odds on for the coldest night of the winter, on the last day of it too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Looks quiet.

f1cf4b166083c1140be5868e919b9ca4.png

Posted

Temps now in freefall. -8c already. DP -9c. Beautiful ice crystals forming on the pavement even as I'm watching! Never seen that before. Really should be a warning for ice here.  The untreated roads are lethal

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, audiotech said:

Great pictures. 

Posted
28 minutes ago, bathweatherwatcher said:

As always, Ian was a true professional and did his best to fit as much in as he could in such a short space of time rushing through tomorrow’s forecast to get to Thursday.

Sadly this happens all too often on Points West with Ian given little time to deliver his forecast; even at times of severe weather. I like Points West but sometimes the program can be a waste of half an hour apart from the weather forecast.

Yea we have amber warnings over our region, and they are chatting about knitted boobs (apparently they use them to teach expectant mothers how to breast feed, I mean it cant be that difficult right?)and KFC running out of chicken! could not make it up ?

Edited by Bazray
  • Like 1