Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
2 minutes ago, fromey said:

Weather warning cancelled for us down here on Wednesday they have put it further north!!!:wallbash:

think the met office website just gone again... must be all of us on the forums, in and out of the site and the warnings ha ha... must be us crashing it... don't think Meto systems are coping.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, fromey said:

Weather warning cancelled for us down here on Wednesday they have put it further north!!!:wallbash:

But the "slight" one for Thursday is still there :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Worth noting that due to the dry nature of the snow, you could see several cm and it would not be disruptive enough to merit an official warning.

I guess most on here are seeking more than that though. Shows how little I've become used to down this way these past five years!

Posted

I put washing out at 9am, it's stayed out through several hours of flurries and is now dry. Quirky or what!

Snowflake spotting with my 19 month old boy is sooo great!

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, MidnightSnow said:

Tuesday warning for here gone as well.

Yes i posted earlier about tomorrow. Snow goes thru N Midlands into mid-Wales. Track on yday's forecasts was for it to head thru Cotswolds and into Bristol area to N Somerset. The nature of the 'snow beast'. In 24 hours forecast changes. Worth noting that kind of forecast change timescale in respect of Thurs/Fri.

Snow is a bu##er to forecast, even a few hours out.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Hmm yes. Watching for signs of the HIRLAM solution and that elongated heavier shower crossing London is one of the best so far!

So far today it's been a nice one to look at here, with some bright sunshine broken up by very dark clouds and flurries of snow, sometimes coming down quite fast and near-horizontal with slight accumulations dotted about by the end of each shower. I would call the peak of the conditions a  'faint blizzard' :laugh:. The dry, sunnier interludes have been getting rid of most of those deposits so on a scale of 1 to 10 this event is currently a 2, which still makes it the best since that one freak morning of lying snow from around Oxford to not far north of Bournemouth in Jan 2015. 

Everything so far has been a little beyond the high-res models in terms of shower coverage but not intensity. Among those models, there is a consensus for the best chances of the day for something more noteworthy across CS England to occur between 5 and 9 pm. So an intense period of radar watching coming up and then hopefully some window/lamppost watching. Handy to have the longer daylight hours to see things with now.

We've had flurries on and off all day. Some were half decent and actually pepped up a bit over here on the Radar, before heading out west.
I can only conclude that this is the Hampshire Avon lake effect and once I come up with a suitable name for it, I shall publish my findings. :laugh:

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, jtay said:

We've had flurries on and off all day. Some were half decent and actually pepped up a bit over here on the Radar, before heading out west.
I can only conclude that this is the Hampshire Avon lake effect and once I come up with a suitable name for it, I shall publish my findings. :laugh:

The Dean Hill radar is being a twit though with that blind triangle to the east allowing showers to sneak up on us. It's been that way all winter and nobody has been sent out to fix it! :fool:

• Thanks 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, eddy88888 said:

Hi rapodo what do you think of this says we will get 1-3 inches thursday? https://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/bournemouth/bh1-1/daily-weather-forecast/326983?day=4

Nice to see your keeping the faith but I don't put to much faith in accuweather. From what I'm seeing in output I've lost hope for my location here's hoping others have more luck though! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Looks like today will be my coldest maximum of the winter so far at this rate. Unusual for that to happen so late in the winter.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Singularity said:

The Dean Hill radar is being a twit though with that blind triangle to the east allowing showers to sneak up on us. It's been that way all winter and nobody has been sent out to fix it! :fool:

Screws up thesis... The Avon Accumulator is no more. :mellow:

Posted
Just now, jtay said:

Screws up thesis... The Avon Accumulator is no more. :mellow:

Just pretend the radar is fine like the management seem to be doing :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
3 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Looks like today will be my coldest maximum of the winter so far at this rate. Unusual for that to happen so late in the winter.

Indeed, temperatures here peaked at 0.5°C about half hour ago and are now back on their way down. There hasn't been much sunshine today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Do they n ow something we don’t? 

904230EA-5E9F-4995-B9E9-A4366AE0C855.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, jtay said:

What's it say Westbound @matt111?

Bet it's not that.

It does. 

B9E52F8A-015B-4970-A9BA-44E3CA8439CB.png

That’s just heading into this region. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
1 minute ago, Rapodo said:

Nice to seen the ICON making changes. Fat lady might be singing but still a bit out of tune.

Northern extent of it seems to be in line with Met Office's warning for Thurs.

5a942b2376c8e_icon2.png.23b937ab9d634a6357b8c3888b8fade7.png

Posted

What a cracking day working its been,love the cold,love the sun,saw icicles on the sluice gates with my riverwork,didnt really want to leave the pub I was working at,got home just above freezing,flurries all day,some settled for a while,anything that falls now I guess will stick,however quick read suggests nothing much is going to fall lol

Posted

Do I see things becoming more positive again in the MAD thread? Not many posting in there but still. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Just got a notification on my phone that a yellow warning of snow has been issued, time to check..

Edit: Ahh Friday..

Edited by CheesepuffScott

Posted
Just now, CheesepuffScott said:

Just got a notification on my phone that a yellow warning of snow has been issued, time to check..

Yes and I’m outside of it by probably about 5 miles. :wallbash:

Still likely to change of course. 

• Like 1