Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
6 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Yeah, then across the Channel to Calais, then to Belgium, and back on Saturday morning! What's the chances my plans are disrupted? The roads are gonna be awful.

Just hope you are young, fit, very prepared and have reasonable delay times built in.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Well after the failure of my - 5 screenwash once I managed to thaw it out in sun today I flushed it through and put something abit tougher in...

Mr Jack frost won't beat me this time..  :laugh:

IMG_20180225_170241.thumb.jpg.40c68d3a86d451b513f69f5a9df18bc4.jpg

Edited by Nights King

Posted
Just now, Nights King said:

Well after the failure of my - 5 screenwash once I managed to thaw it out in sun today I flushed it through and put something abit tougher in...

Mr Jack frost won't beat me this time.. 

IMG_20180225_170241.thumb.jpg.40c68d3a86d451b513f69f5a9df18bc4.jpg

Where on Earth (Obviously not the Arctic) did you find that?! :D

Posted
Just now, EllyTech said:

Where on Earth (Obviously not the Arctic) did you find that?! :D

Just a local garage here on mendip 8)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Its going to be interesting to see what they say on the Countryfile forecast for the week ahead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

If anyone could help me decipher the latest 12z EC Det, and what it means for our region later in the week & into the weekend, it would be much appreciated?

I "think" we could be looking at mainly snow all around, with little rain, including into Saturday, but with very limited charts to view to ascertain this, I can't be all that confident.

Edited by AWD
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, AWD said:

If anyone could help me decipher the latest EC Det, and what it means for our region later in the week & into the weekend, it would be much appreciated?

I "think" we could be looking at mainly snow all around with little rain, including into Saturday, but with very limited charts to view to ascertain this, I can't be all that confident.

Do not fear AWD my met app says snow and cold saturday too so mild clearly doesnt break through after the front.. :santa-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, A Frayed Knot said:

:wallbash:

RAIN.jpg

Ive reported this off topic nonsense :rofl:

Mild outlier :nonono:

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, AWD said:

If anyone could help me decipher the latest EC Det, and what it means for our region later in the week & into the weekend, it would be much appreciated?

I "think" we could be looking at mainly snow all around with little rain, including into Saturday, but with very limited charts to view to ascertain this, I can't be all that confident.

My very amateur interpretation is that uppers are more favourable for an all snow event. I’m talking about southern and southwestern coastal areas now as it’s always looked an all snow for Chipping Sodbury area. My ‘concern’ is if the westerly track continues, the associated fronts will go with it. Way too far off to be sure. At the moment, and taking ALL output into consideration, the potential is there for a serious snow event. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Nights King said:

Do not fear AWD my met app says snow and cold saturday too so mild clearly doesnt break through after the front.. :santa-emoji:

My Met App shows light snow & a max temp of 3c for Saturday, has done all day, hence why I am dubious about a quick breakdown for those of us further inland.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Schaffer nacker bum bum says next weekend will be more snow. So if he says it is, then that’s what it’ll be.

Going to the pub for a quiz fundraiser. Back after 10 for the 18z....

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Matty-H said:

My very amateur interpretation is that uppers are more favourable for an all snow event. I’m talking about southern and southwestern coastal areas now as it’s always looked an all snow for Chipping Sodbury area. My ‘concern’ is if the westerly track continues, the associated fronts will go with it. Way too far off to be sure. At the moment, and taking ALL output into consideration, the potential is there for a serious snow event. 

It's not just about the 850hpa values though.  I would like to see accompanied surface temps and DP's to have a decent call at the resultant weather on the ground on Friday/Saturday.

The UKMO & EC are so vastly different though, that neither can be taken with great confidence currently.

Posted
Just now, AWD said:

It's not just about the 850hpa values though.  I would like to see accompanied surface temps and DP's to have a decent call at the resultant weather on the ground on Friday/Saturday.

The UKMO & EC are so vastly different though, that neither can be taken with great confidence currently.

True, and they are both favourable for an all snow event right down to the south coast

But it’s one operational run. In the grand scheme of things it tells us very little. The bigger picture is all the info available to us from all models, and there’s is undoubtedly, currently, a marked chance of something quite noteworthy. All subject to all manner of changes at four days out though. Light years 

Posted
12 minutes ago, AWD said:

If anyone could help me decipher the latest 12z EC Det, and what it means for our region later in the week & into the weekend, it would be much appreciated?

I "think" we could be looking at mainly snow all around, with little rain, including into Saturday, but with very limited charts to view to ascertain this, I can't be all that confident.

It has the front in the Channel and cold air still in residence along the south coast at T96

By Friday 00 the front is further north with warmer air creeping in 5-C in Cornwall but still only 1-2C further east with much of the precipitation west of Cornwall but a line of snow moving north east to the east

By 1200 Friday still warmer in the far south west but the front and a belt of snow is orientated Wales to Kent as it tracks north east

Edited by knocker
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

Jethro, one word....brilliant. I am possibly just a bit older but certainly of the same persuasion as you. I try very hard to enthuse my grandkids with my childish love of snow, much to the amazement of their parents...long may it continue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Funny thing is about all this if we all get this blizzard it will not even go down as winter snow cover so many could say they didn't see a flake in winter of 17/18 :laugh:

thats if Tuesday/Wednesday doesn't deliver the goods of course.

Posted

To summarise where we stand after the 12z runs anyway regarding Thursday/Friday,

- nothing much as changed.  Lots of uncertainty but a very possible threat of a spell or two of significant snowfall across many parts of the region, temporary or not.

Posted
1 minute ago, knocker said:

It has the front in the Channel and cold air still in residence along the south coast at T96

By Friday 00 the front is further north with warmer air creeping in 5-C in Cornwall but still only 1-2C further east with much of the precipitation west of Cornwall

By 1200 Friday still warmer in the far south west but the front and a belt of snow is orientated Wales to Kent as it tracks north east

Thank you for that.  All in all, for those of a wintry persuasion that do not live in Cornwall, a decent Det run then.

As ever though, low confidence at how all this plays out and affects the region on a localised scale.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

As i was saying earlier, it's going to take a lot of energy to shift this block, this is a displaced polar vortex driven by a SSW , there has been a second warming with a lag time as well which needs to be considered . This isn't a standard easterly which is easy blown away, quite the opposite, the models will continue to throw up solutions to a break down, what is happening is against the norm so they will default at times.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Funny thing is about all this if we all get this blizzard it will not even go down as winter snow cover so many could say they didn't see a flake in winter of 17/18 :laugh:

thats if Tuesday/Wednesday doesn't deliver the goods of course.

That's a great point! It won't figure into any winter records either - if records happen to be broken that is.