Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer

I think anyone on the far south coast of Cornwall and Devon should start seeing snowfall from as early as Monday next week. I remember on a couple of occasions on the Roseland & Lizard peninsula where the shower bands have just hugged the coastline and maybe 3 Miles I Land’s it’s been bone dry. 

Still loads to play for especially for next Friday, fingers crossed we see a better correction to that low coming up from our south west. 

Wayno 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
2 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

This weather might have a few tricks up its sleeve. We might get more than we bargained for. Lets see if we have any upgrade for Wednesday next week. I've a feeling ....

I hope it happens.. otherwise I’ll have spent the last week being shattered for no reason and will look like a complete fool amongst my work colleagues and family!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
4 minutes ago, khodds said:

I hope it happens.. otherwise I’ll have spent the last week being shattered for no reason and will look like a complete fool amongst my work colleagues and family!!

Nah you won’t, when they walk out the door on Monday morning, they’ll go “bloody hell its cold, that Kate knows what she’s talking about”. I always caveat snow when talking to family and friends. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

If the predicted low moves north from Iberia and doesn't fill, then as has been predicted by a European Met agency, for the South West, snow late on Thursday, through the night to Friday a.m. and then rain from early Friday morning and through the weekend. The milder air just swats the "beast from the east" back to Europe.

All this depends on what the low is going to do of course and none of us will get a grip on it until Tuesday night next week for a definitive take on the snow forecast.

The expected very cold temperatures are still in Latvia at the moment and haven't really moved westwards for several days now.

Edited by OldBloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Another cold frosty morning, dipping down to -2.9c which is not bad for Weston.

It's a shame we have the will it won't snow later next, as it takes our eye off what's coming the start of next week.

very cold and possibly some snow

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Sleet gone from Bournemouth outlook on Friday:D got a felling this will keep changing. I would be happy with continuous light snow with no risk. Wouldn't make the north happy, I'll be back in a bit after checking whether I'm  bovvered:D:D

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, OldBloke said:

If the predicted low moves north from Iberia and doesn't fill, then as has been predicted by a European Met agency, for the South West, snow late on Thursday, through the night to Friday a.m. and then rain from early Friday morning and through the weekend. The milder air just swats the "beast from the east" back to Europe.

All this depends on what the low is going to do of course and none of us will get a grip on it until Wednesday next week for a definitive take on the snow forecast.

Well I would say history would tell us that it’s unlikely we will have a round dartboard type low pushing north. 

Im more confident of snow Tuesday/Wednesday in the form of showers/toughs than I am this system even reaching southern England. 

Which european Met agency out of interest OB? Latvian, German, French?

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, OldBloke said:

The expected very cold temperatures are still in Latvia at the moment and haven't really moved westwards for several days now.

I’m sorry but that is a very misleading paragraph and confirms to me you either aren’t looking at the models or you are on a wind up. The cold weather which you have been saying isn’t going to arrive for the past few days WILL Arrive on Sunday evening. You ain’t going to stop it! 

Block firmly in control, it would be like trying to stop a cross channel ferry with a cardboard cutout of a brick wall. Which I’m about to go and bang my head against! ?

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted

So many people are not listening .... MetO need to slightly ramp I think. You won't get Londoners to stop their commutes Monday. Even if the Capital comes off lightly, the suburbs might very well be the complete opposite. Can see the potential chaos ..

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

So many people are not listening .... MetO need to slightly ramp I think. You won't get Londoners to stop their commutes Monday. Even if the Capital comes off lightly, the suburbs might very well be the complete opposite. Can see the potential chaos ..

Latvia will be cold though ?‍♂️

Posted

ECM great for cold out to day 10 then a reload from NE.   For us down here at present its all eyes fixed on the development of the low Thurs.night into Friday. Further north could mean a few hours of snow turning to rain.  More to the south then epic blizzards. Still time for changes from all models and more runs needed.

I don't know about you lot but I need a prescription for something to calm my nerves and something a bit stronger than gin lol.  Its agonising just waiting for the next set of runs. I need to take the mutt out for a good long walk.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

I do think a channel low will remove the cold but I think it will be the 3rd one not the first one by which time I'll runout of carrots for the snowmen:D cold air is a bit like the mother in law, it won't go at the first attempt:D

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 2

Posted

It’s been a long couple of weeks @kent for sure.

what has amazed me is the accuracy of this cold spell! We were eyeing this up over a week ago! Incredible. But exhausting 

• Like 3

Posted
39 minutes ago, danm said:

Let’s get in the mood with a reminder of Jan ‘87:

Hello from Kent :)

Often pop in here to have a read and thought you might like to see these that someone shared over there. Lots of snow that time for both our regions...wonder if we might get something similar this time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, kent said:

ECM great for cold out to day 10 then a reload from NE.   For us down here at present its all eyes fixed on the development of the low Thurs.night into Friday. Further north could mean a few hours of snow turning to rain.  More to the south then epic blizzards. Still time for changes from all models and more runs needed.

I don't know about you lot but I need a prescription for something to calm my nerves and something a bit stronger than gin lol.  Its agonising just waiting for the next set of runs. I need to take the mutt out for a good long walk.

I'll be radar watching. Especially Tues/Weds when I'll also be fixed to satellite too. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

If Nick Sussex says there's a lot of uncertainty I get worried - can't believe we still don't know what's gonna happen lol! Was windchill of -3 when I woke up this morning, definitely feeling a lot colder!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

So @karlos1983 do you take a win tomorrow or a blizzard on Friday? Both not an option.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Eye candy on met office for friday?

Posted
5 minutes ago, festivalking said:

So @karlos1983 do you take a win tomorrow or a blizzard on Friday? Both not an option.

Easy!!! Blizzard! I couldn’t do it to you all, team player me!

Heres the ECM view on snow accumulations for end of the weeks fun..

I’m not greedy, I’d take that!

71EB4F62-E71D-48E7-BDFA-CA2FB4FFE543.thumb.png.1b12f191f19590cdac0f50c70765a6b9.png65042139-23AC-42B1-97DE-C5BC160A966E.thumb.png.16df0d7aa1ba807e1e11921f8e3f49ae.pngBAD5F1DA-EC96-48A8-8C71-0C2EFDD91F28.thumb.png.ba3866b6cb6f4d5a89a5d60f5b3984f2.png

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Purplepixii said:

If Nick Sussex says there's a lot of uncertainty I get worried - can't believe we still don't know what's gonna happen lol! Was windchill of -3 when I woke up this morning, definitely feeling a lot colder!

I think its not really uncertainty of the broad picture of what weather type we will be experiencing. To my mind its more the questions of, how cold, how snowy and how long for, being the 'floating' details of the coming week or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
20 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Easy!!! Blizzard! I couldn’t do it to you all, team player me!

Heres the ECM view on snow accumulations for end of the weeks fun..

I’m not greedy, I’d take that!

71EB4F62-E71D-48E7-BDFA-CA2FB4FFE543.thumb.png.1b12f191f19590cdac0f50c70765a6b9.png65042139-23AC-42B1-97DE-C5BC160A966E.thumb.png.16df0d7aa1ba807e1e11921f8e3f49ae.pngBAD5F1DA-EC96-48A8-8C71-0C2EFDD91F28.thumb.png.ba3866b6cb6f4d5a89a5d60f5b3984f2.png

I'd be a little disappointed if I see just 3cm from this cold spell.. :D

• Like 1