Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
Just now, khodds said:

Only managed a measly -1.3c here and that was at 6.30 this morning. I’m wondering if I should reposition my temperature sensor 

Yeah I would, try moving it to Benson...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Why are there no snow warnings out for West Country ? Only east?  Surely with these charts wind flows and cold depths there must be some snow that would make its way to the west or even bumping from the south-west and turn to snow 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
4 minutes ago, knocker said:

Agh but where?

You’ll probably have a better idea on that front than me Knocker,  but I would say just about anywhere would have a chance of snow next week looking at the ecm output this morning surely?

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, offerman said:

Why are there no snow warnings out for West Country ? Only east?  Surely with these charts wind flows and cold depths there must be some snow that would make its way to the west or even bumping from the south-west and turn to snow 

Because the southeast is likely to get significant snow on Monday in places, probably a bit early to be putting blanket warnings out.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

I couldn’t see Devon and Cornwall on the chart on the BBC weather for the week ahead overnight.

It was a complete whiteout :D:D 

Posted
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

You’ll probably have a better idea on that front than me Knocker,  but I would say just about anywhere would have a chance of snow next week looking at the ecm output this morning surely?

It's a bit tricky Karlos and certainly not sorted but the det run has it across northern France just brushing Kent at 1200 Thursday with the south west in very cold, fry air but the EPS means has the low further north so a watching brief required. Can't post the relevant charts I'm afraid.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !
3 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

What do I do about this front door to keep the cold out?

Buy some of that self-adhesive foam draught excluder strip and stick it around the inside of the frame so that the door squashes it up when it closes and seals the gaps :)

• Like 2

Posted

Not posted for a while.. We actually had a slight dusting of snow on Monday the 12th.

0.1C right now due to a breeze (fell to -1.8C before midnight).

Anyway very interesting next week, although snow isn't guaranteed everywhere, for instance last night's ECM looked dry for me https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Exeter/long.html (This will update to this morning's run soon but hasn't yet)
Yesteray morning's in contrast showed about 20cm of snow on Friday.

With the dry air, it's likely there won't be that much visible frost at night even though it's well below freezing with a breeze blowing (penetrating frost).. but then the ground could turn white via another mechanism :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
13 minutes ago, khodds said:

Only managed a measly -1.3c here and that was at 6.30 this morning. I’m wondering if I should reposition my temperature sensor 

As long as it's not near your house or in direct sunlight, any other position should be just fine.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

My own opinion is that West Country will see snow flurries earliest from Sunday night onwards.  Gradually through the week this will become heavier and into snow showers not flurries with troughs possible .so  looking at those tonight so really do believe we will see some snow despite what BBC APPSanf metoffice say.

Alex Deacon on his forecast showed only sunshine for the week , Ian Ferguson on one of his forecasts that I saw recently just had sun symbols for the whole week for the west country . 

• Like 2

Posted

@ *stormforce~beka

Try some sticky foam that you can buy from most hardware stores like B&Q or homebase,  I think it's called stormshield or something like that.

On my door from the garage, I have also stuck the foil sheets that you put behind radiators.

You could also try fitting a very thick curtain with thermal liner.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !
1 minute ago, offerman said:

My own opinion is that West Country will see snow flurries earliest from Sunday night onwards.  Gradually through the week this will become heavier and into snow showers not flurries with troughs possible .so  looking at those tonight so really do believe we will see some snow despite what BBC APPSanf metoffice say.

Alex Deacon on his forecast showed only sunshine for the week , Ian Ferguson on one of his forecasts that I saw recently just had sun symbols for the whole week for the west country . 

I'm finding it difficult to believe we will see much, if any snow from this setup unless that low-pressure system pushes up from the south at the end of next week.

It will undoubtedly be bitterly cold, but mostly dry I think for me (central Southern England).

Depending on the wind direction, certain parts of the West Country might see snow showers coming off the sea if they're lucky.

Of course, with such cold and down here, more unstable air, things can and will crop up at short notice!

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, offerman said:

That's the safe bet, snow could turn up anywhere at short notice.

Unfortunately we are not in the best position to get snow from Easterlies, but that's not to say we won't get any.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

Right! 

Empty house - check

All animals fed- check

Cup of tea- check

Winter olympics on- check

Comfy chair- check

Netweather loaded- check

Morning everyone, temp here this morning is at -3.8c definitely feels it too. Just watched weather for cast bbc sure the bloke said if your looking for any warmth you can go whistle!! Made me laugh 

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, nettie said:

Right! 

Empty house - check

All animals fed- check

Cup of tea- check

Winter olympics on- check

Comfy chair- check

Netweather loaded- check

Morning everyone, temp here this morning is at -3.8c definitely feels it too. Just watched weather for cast bbc sure the bloke said if your looking for any warmth you can go whistle!! Made me laugh 

Sounds like the perfect day.

I'm stuck at work, but do have the afternoon off :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and dry. Snow would be good though.
31 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Mine too!! Brought the toys out and made em play with em! You have that wooden pull along dog with the spring wagging tail that bobbed up and down?

Hell yes and the original fisher price telephone..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

Yep its my day off going to enjoy it  lol working this weekend.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Bottomed out at -2.3c early last night temp rose thorugh the night as i left it was a tad above freezing at 0.3.

As the air is so dry i wonder if the cars will need scraping as much?

Posted
7 hours ago, Daniel* said:

I dont think we will get any warnings till we move into the reliable timeframe, which Should be over the weekend / early next week. Looks like lots of positive signs of being the right set up for good convection for us guys though.

Fingers crossed eh! :cold:

Edited by Bazray
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy
34 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Can anyone beat  -5.3c?

So it begins...

Yep - -5.9 c at 6.30 this morning... Coldest for a while (this winter definitely). Suggested to the wife that next week could rival the -15 of Dec 2010 if we get snow cover and clear skies...

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Bottomed out at -2.3c early last night temp rose thorugh the night as i left it was a tad above freezing at 0.3.

As the air is so dry i wonder if the cars will need scraping as much?

OH went out at 7.15 and didn't have to scrape!

• Like 1