Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and ice. The usual.

@jethro your MOD thread poem has me in awe, how long did it take you to do? I can't write poetry for toffee, but really, it's great! :friends:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, SN0W SN0W SN0W said:

Blizzards devastated the South West 40 years ago 

2nd March 2058

It is the 40th anniversary of the start of what was one of the worst blizzards to have affected the United Kingdom in the last 100 years. It affected South West England and south Wales for five days from 1st to 5th March 2018 before milder weather edged in bringing a general thaw.

The cold air initially moved into the UK from the east around the 25th, and was further enhanced by a cold pool of air moving in from central Europe between the 27th and 1st of March .

The weather set up, with a huge contrast in air-masses either side of a weather front, led to considerable snowfall for the South West on the 1st and 2nd and this was followed on the 3rd and 4th by an unusually severe blizzard which extended to south Wales.

Snow accumulated to depths of about 60cm in places on Dartmoor and Exmoor and to 85cm at Shepton Mallet in Somerset, but drifts of at least 6m were reported over a wide area which included Dorset and Wiltshire.

The exceptional weather cut communications and caused severe hardship, and although milder weather soon reached the south-west, several towns and villages were isolated by snowdrifts for some days and it was reported that there was still snow on the ground in early July.

In Benson, Oxfordshire a bizarre prolonged heat burst event prevent the temperature dropping below 3c. 

Snow depths at 9am on 5th March:

85cm Shepton Mallet 

60cm Princetown Prison

55cm Swindon

47cm Bath

45cm Bristol

2cm Poole

Are you saying I'm full of hot air? :rofl::rofl:

Seriously,brilliant post :D

Posted
3 minutes ago, Climate_Eyes said:

@jethro your MOD thread poem has me in awe, how long did it take you to do? I can't write poetry for toffee, but really, it's great! :friends:

I'm imagining a Pam Ayres accent ..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
2 minutes ago, Climate_Eyes said:

Thank you. Not long, ten minutes or so. It's just the way my brain works, I'm a word person, always have been, always will be, that's how I ended up working in publishing for years. Only quit to do the gardening thing as the publishing career wasn't really possible with a family too, occasionally combine the two and write about gardening.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, jethro said:

Thank you. Not long, ten minutes or so. It's just the way my brain works, I'm a word person, always have been, always will be, that's how I ended up working in publishing for years. Only quit to do the gardening thing as the publishing career wasn't really possible with a family too, occasionally combine the two and write about gardening.

10 minutes? It would take me all day to come up with that. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, kumquat said:

I'm imagining a Pam Ayres accent ..

Lol. I confess, the local accent to where I grew up was very Pam Ayres (she was from Witney) my mum was from Devon, I live surrounded by the Somerset burr and spent 10 years in North Yorkshire but have ended up with a very non descript, middle England accent.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Trust me, when you spend all day trollying barrows full of compost around a garden all day, your brain comes up with all sorts of rubbish in rapid succession.

Edited by jethro

Posted
1 minute ago, jethro said:

Lol. I confess, the local accent to where I grew up was very Pam Ayres (she was from Witney) my mum was from Devon, I live surrounded by the Somerset burr and spent 10 years in North Yorkshire but have ended up with a very non descript, middle England accent.

I'm disappointed now :sorry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

That was a brilliant poem Jethro :yahoo:

• Thanks 1

Posted

Testing

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

right then, as we've got the FB thing up and running (thanks Khodds!) we need to get the formalities out of the way.....i.e who's house are we trashing with the pre-blizzard drinkathon? :drunk:

Posted
6 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Trust me, when you spend all day trollying barrows of compost around a garden, your brains comes out with all sorts of rubbish in quick succession.

Posted
4 minutes ago, nettie said:

That was a brilliant poem Jethro :yahoo:

Thank you.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Love poetry, nice one @jethro I really enjoyed that. Our region has Talent!!

• Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

I'm disappointed now :sorry:

Sorry!

Posted
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Love poetry, nice one @jethro I really enjoyed that. Our region has Talent!!

Thank you.

Always hover over the 'submit' button for a few seconds, I do wonder if it'll get me banned one day. I hope not, not intentionally p*****g Mods off.

• Like 1