Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - here comes the beast!

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

We also have a special post SSW cold spell discussion open here:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89358-ssw-related-cold-spell-will-it-wont-it/

Thank you!

Posted
4 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

fax120s.gif.b45a07e2d33b36203ca882bca4de

528 dam line just starting to lift out of the very far south there, so will depend on established cold pool and Tm temps. Would imagine dew points still favourable with that flow. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Purga said:

Thanks - but is this still valid for the latest output or from earlier today when the Met forecasts were formulated? The main models seem to have shifted unfavourably for coldies after the 12z runs.:)

From the very latest output and had very strong ensemble support. This has been steadfast in cold until the middle of the month 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Guys a Question. Today we seen on some of the outputs Gfs Ukmo and Ecm Trying to bring in mild air by 144h.  These runs today showing these cynoptics could this have anything to do with second strat warming?

Posted
9 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

fax120s.gif.b45a07e2d33b36203ca882bca4de

Notice the low is over Spain and on the 18z GFS it's over Northern France. Think Icon shift it 100 miles south and expect the turn north in the North Sea

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
10 minutes ago, inghams85 said:

From the very latest output and had very strong ensemble support. This has been steadfast in cold until the middle of the month 

Cheers - good to hear that as i'm sure a good few more in here will! :good:

Edited by Purga
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GEFS ensemble mean at T144 might just calm the nerves:

gens-21-1-144.png?18

gens-21-0-144.png?18

Still think this will go further south, we'll see!

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 4

Posted
18 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Don't know why I have quote above??? Mike has invaded my post :D

Anyways, looking through GEFS its not game over as yet. Some better options in there. Who knows maybe models over reacting to something today. 

Mornings runs will be eagerly awaited I suspect :)

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 1

Posted

Significant differences in the GEFS as early as day 4.  I need to revise my previous pessimistic post.  This is not a done deal yet.  Matching any ensemble member to the UK fax for day 5 leads to a positive outcome for coldies.

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summer, Cold winter
3 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

GEFS ensemble mean at T144 might just calm the nerves:

gens-21-1-144.png?18

gens-21-0-144.png?18

Still think this will go further south, we'll see!

Nope! The HP above Greenland retrogresses too fast and LP's coming in from the SW will create a big mess of changing conditions, merely S to SE driven..

Although the ECM12 was at the end clearly a warm outlyer, it presents the trend in the models. After next weekend it is clearly gone with the cold.

• Thanks 1

GEFS 18z mean keeps the deep cold closer to the north at t192 and generally has the cold conditions a little south with the 0C isotherm struggling to make headway north.

The GEFS in the reliable looks fine to me. Fun to speculate what might happen thereafter but remember if this low fails to fully break the cold we'll see a very different long-term picture emerge in the models. Time will tell.

Anyone got a coin to flip? 

Edited by Reverse Zonality

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down
14 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

This Gibby is a weather Guru? 

That' it..the cold spell is over because some amature weather enthusiasts says the ECM and The GFS are calling it right.

No weather Guru but 50 years of studying weather and using mid range model charts for trends I then report on them. It’s worked for me with a few exceptions for years. I can of course be as wrong as the next man and yes there are a lot of ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’ in the coming week but because we seem to have a strong shift in ‘trend’ coupled with the fact we have lost a lot of northern blocking away to Greenland or even worse Canada  by the end of the week I feel the verification is very feasible.

As a side note I also think that the deep cold uppers over us midweek may work against us in allowing that Low pressure from the SW to spin up much deeper as it engages the cold than it otherwise might but I have no evidence to support that. Let’s hope the 00zs revert to what we were seeing yesterday

Edited by Gibby
  • Like 8

Posted

More of a thread watcher than a participator, due to lack of knowledge, but do we have the possibility of a Thames Streamer occurring? From memory in 2009 there wasn't much on the cards even a few hours before it began to snow in my neck of the woods, and we had 6-9inches of unforcast snow that night?

35 minutes ago, Hotspur61 said:

Yeah it was an interesting one with "coldie" Tomasz.Looks like snow showers starting midday onwards on Monday and Monday-Weds looks like showers will become widespread with some prolonged snowfall although he did stress some areas will get more than others(graphics showed some could get 20cms+ while others 3cms or less.Friday could be a possible blizzard for Southern Britain but did stress alot of uncertainty.Whilst models as i write this post have much of South in milder air by end of week the BBC graphics didnt indicate this but Friday is so far away in met terms we wont i feel know  until Tuesday night how far North this low pressure will go.I am just looking forward to the next 48-72 hrs unfold and then take it from there.Lets just enjoy this epic cold for the time of year and hope this ST cold snap turns into a cold spell and this time next week we will still be enjoying it:cold::)

Is this the forecast you mean?   https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/43184987

If so, it's indeed interesting to see how much uncertainty is still being placed on the scenario from Thursday onwards, but that the the risks of blizzards into next weekend are now being emphasised.    

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
2 minutes ago, The Eagle said:

While we are all here may I offer up some NAVGEM?

tempresult_zmo0.gif

Keeps the the low a lot less intense ? Is that right ? Or am I talking ?? 

Edited by ICE COLD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summer, Cold winter
6 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Keeps the the low a lot less intense ? Is that right ? Or am I talking ?? 

I would love to have this but Navgem over-estimates the HP above Greenland. ECM, UKMO and GFS don't see this.....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
13 minutes ago, The Eagle said:

While we are all here may I offer up some NAVGEM?

tempresult_zmo0.gif

Another NAVGEM GEM from Eddie - thanks :clap:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Right compared to yesterday some themes are now starting to emerge.

1) The Azores low is going to take a northwards path towards the UK
2) There is potential for mild air to make inroads towards Friday.

However on closer look things are pretty unchanged from this morning. The 18z ensembles for example still show plenty of runs with cold air winning out down south. Up north there would be many snow showers (or persistant snow in the runs where weather fronts push further north). Anyway I've updated my graphs showing different scenarios again.

image.thumb.png.869a6c4aab55f6f41722442ca1770ac6.png

Clearly the only thing on here that has changed is that a scenario where the cold pool covers the whole of the UK till saturday appears much less likely now.

However as I mentioned earlier, battleground scenarios where the UK is still under continental air will still see snowfall even if uppers are less cold.

The number of runs supporting a scenario with colder air hanging on until saturday remains unchanged.

Two things could work in our favour:

1) The low weakens as it moves towards the UK and therefore its northwards movement is stunted
2) Northerlies from the Greenland high set in more quickly and keep the warmer uppers away from us.

Both scenarios are very plausible still. A third scenario is that the low remains well to our south but that I think is a low possibility now.

I looked at a group of ECM ensembles, 6 showed milder air taking control by saturday, 16 kept colder uppers over us at the same time.

You could say that the ECM has caught up on the fact that low pressure is coming up from the south but whether this wins out is far from certain. In simple terms ECM is catching up to the GFS. The ops have favoured milder air winning, but that could easily change. The 00z's could show cold air still over the UK by next weekend.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Cast your minds back to the first SSW. The models were in chaos dealing with the outcome. Many favoured a mild solution, but they were wrong, and at a short time frame.

Since then, we’ve had a secondary warming. The models will now be in the same position and trying to work out the solution (but with the additional chaos following the first warming)

I firmly believe they will correct to a colder solution, as before.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3