Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - here comes the beast!

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

We also have a special post SSW cold spell discussion open here:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89358-ssw-related-cold-spell-will-it-wont-it/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

I'm not sure I'm convinced by this evolution on the GFS 18z, what does anyone else think?

T132:

gfs-0-132.png?18

T150:

gfs-0-150.png?18

Snowy that it may be.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

97A529F1-C7AD-4ED2-BC5E-AA683550A385.thumb.png.10556b789bebdccb6a46f02869a063c1.pngAnother great run from the gfs. Think this time next week the uk could be grinding to a halt. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

I'm not sure I'm convinced by this evolution on the GFS 18z, what does anyone else think?

T132:

gfs-0-132.png?18

T150:

gfs-0-150.png?18

Snowy that it may be.

Can't see it being that easy for the low to push north. Although it still struggles on the notoriously progressive GFS. Snow for C and S England and 50mph gusts Fri/Fri night.

Still think it'll get corrected south a little - perhaps 50-100miles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
2 minutes ago, Matthew. said:

It’s hard to imagine how severe this windchill would be at +144:help:

AAFDF4E6-ACAF-458F-8DFE-1CFC59F9107F.jpeg

Think the Irish Contingent would be happy with that Chart.. winds backing North East.. snow machine 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

I see a high risk, high reward type of scenario developing for the SE half of the country at the end of next week. The question will be - how far north will that low  pressure travel? Normally the GFS suggests too far north but the UKMO 168 suggested that too.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
3 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

T132:

gfs-0-132.png?18

T150:

gfs-0-150.png?18

Snowy that it may be.

It certainly blows up the feature as it moves towards the south coast unlike ECM and the mean runs (both by GFS and ECM) to be some what further south east than the op.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

I see a high risk, high reward type of scenario developing for the SE half of the country at the end of next week. The question will be - how far north will that low  pressure travel? Normally the GFS suggests too far north but the UKMO 168 suggested that too.

But the means of ECM and GEFS have the low further south and east...but the GFS ops keep doing the same thing

2 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

True. The last 2 UKMO 168s have shown that IIRC. One to watch even if the ECM doesn't agree.

Will look to see what the GEFS says on the matter later.

Posted
5 minutes ago, terrier said:

97A529F1-C7AD-4ED2-BC5E-AA683550A385.thumb.png.10556b789bebdccb6a46f02869a063c1.pngAnother great run from the gfs. Think this time next week the uk could be grinding to a halt. 

I know we laugh but there will be serious disruption next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter
2 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

It certainly blows up the feature as it moves towards the south coast unlike ECM and the mean runs (both by GFS and ECM) to be some what further south east than the op.

yes its been moving it northwards for several runs now..........was a 5% chance on yesterdays GFS ensemble suite.... 15-20% on tonights 12z GFS.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
5 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

Think the Irish Contingent would be happy with that Chart.. winds backing North East.. snow machine 

Very happy charts are of the wall! Never seen anything like it:cold:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

But the means of ECM and GEFS have the low further south and east...but the GFS ops keep doing the same thing

Whereas the GFS often programs these systems further north than they tend to be don't assume that it will. Because there are many times too that it is correct and spots a trend early. Hopefully not this time.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

However this low from the south gets ironed out, that thing looks like the definition of brutality. 

Let this sink in, we have ground to a halt with just a few inches on the ground in recent times! To think what this will actually look like with 60mph winds with whiteout conditions and the UK trying to cope with that, does not bear thinking about! 

• Like 3

Posted

I be surprised if the low gets that deep but what might help it to get deep and has it tracking northwards like it does is down to the time of year, with the days getting longer the warm air will be getting stronger at southern latitudes so as we see on this run the warm air wraps around the low and interacting with the deep cold means we get a similar version to the north easter. It's certainly plausible but subject to change.

Another trend is for the flow to be more of a ESE'ly at times which means Scotland is more at risk of frequent heavy snow showers unlike some runs just a day or two back suggsted they might be too close to high pressure to the north.

Posted

In 48 hours, the GFS decimates the cold pool - seems incredibly quick to me...

120 hours second, 168 hours first...

A2F56CD1-A445-445A-B204-880BCCD1DC6A.jpeg

F5A57CC7-DEB1-4BD6-B513-E92355792DB2.jpeg

Edited by Great Plum
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

18z GFS moves the system further north again. But introducing less cold air ( slightly milder sector) to the East. 

5a90970a7ceee_thurs18.thumb.gif.8a1040168d1019e4104c81af9375ea6d.gif 5a90970fc0c80_fri00z.thumb.gif.bdd34f867519762c39c9d813b838a8f2.gif 5a90973629a58_fri6am.thumb.gif.c8465c5ff24e688a21d842249327456b.gif

5a90973ebc828_fri12.thumb.gif.19f8a3cbd1ba3aeaa0e01ba9513b4faa.gif  5a909746d5328_fri18.thumb.gif.7ceed39046569866ab955fda4623659e.gif5a90977f68a41_sat00.thumb.gif.ba165d0c146e9ad9d1398c54df37e82d.gif 5a9097acac0b2_sat6am.thumb.gif.78bdd46149f75fdc7e532006bd844c8d.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GFS 18z is a totally nonsense run.  The T132 to T150 period looks very dodgy to me and so I think the rest of the run can be discounted as too many pints in the pub, a dodgy rancid kebab and a massive chunder!

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Glacier Point said:

That blizzard next Friday is closer than that in reality. Once the upper flow around day 4 buckles poleward, the subsequent southward shift in the Atlantic jet due to the push of cold uppers leaves that as an eddy feature which has nowhere to go but just meander within sub 520 DAM air. The only questions are how far north it gets.

Do you think the 18z is realistic in terms of its northwards progression? GFS often does this and it's annoying! 

I'd rather it stay a little further south and keep us in the cold for longer.

Posted
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

GFS 18z is a totally nonsense run.  The T132 to T150 period looks very dodgy to me and so I think the rest of the run can be discounted as too many pints in the pub, a dodgy rancid kebab and a massive chunder!

As I said compare it to the Fax 120 and the feature is far bigger on the GFS with winds ahead of it backing to the south east near the south coast at that point, where as the Fax shows the feature somewhat flatter and smaller.