Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - here comes the beast!

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

We also have a special post SSW cold spell discussion open here:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89358-ssw-related-cold-spell-will-it-wont-it/

Thank you!

Posted

With regards to systems approaching us from the south, am I correct in saying as long as the flow is continental then snow is still possible even with -5 uppers or even a little higher in march? I've heard stories about snow falling with 0 850's due to dew points off the continent.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms
1 minute ago, Weathizard said:

With regards to systems approaching us from the south, am I correct in saying as long as the flow is continental then snow is still possible even with -5 uppers or even a little higher in march? I've heard stories about snow falling with 0 850's due to dew points off the continent.

Correct ?

• Thanks 1

Posted

ECM clusters. We're pretty well set to T144, so beyond that

T156:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018022300_156.

Bit of a split between runs getting a weak trough to move down from the north. All runs bitterly cold except I imagine cluster 4 (7 out of 51 runs) which I imagine may inject quite a bit of PM rather than PC air into the pattern by T168 (but still supportive of snow I'd guess)

T192 and T240:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018022300_192.  ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018022300_240.

So now it's getting messy. Cluster 1 keeps the UK on the colder side. Cluster 2 possibly does too (like on the op run) but gets close to allowing slightly less cold air in from the south. I still don't see how we can avoid a decent snow event for many between D7-D10, despite the current snow charts.

Just too messy to make a call further out than that, but cold rather mild favoured I think especially further north.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
38 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Please note this is not a guarantee 

168-777UK.GIF?23-6

By Thursday expected snowfall totals..... (look away greater Manchester) 

Is that a 40 I see there right on top of Newcastle :O! 

• Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

ECM clusters. We're pretty well set to T144, so beyond that

T156:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018022300_156.

Bit of a split between runs getting a weak trough to move down from the north. All runs bitterly cold except I imagine cluster 4 (7 out of 51 runs) which I imagine may inject quite a bit of PM rather than PC air into the pattern by T168 (but still supportive of snow I'd guess)

T192 and T240:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018022300_192.  ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018022300_240.

So now it's getting messy. Cluster 1 keeps the UK on the colder side. Cluster 2 possibly does too (like on the op run) but gets close to allowing slightly less cold air in from the south. I still don't see how we can avoid a decent snow event for many between D7-D10, despite the current snow charts.

Just too messy to make a call further out than that, but cold rather mild favoured I think especially further north.

I think the eps clusters show that any prediction on how this will play out beyond day 4 is basically a punt ! Too many variables in the mix with the downwelling wave subsiding together with the reverse zonality easing off bit by bit and the jet trying to get back north. The push from the north/northeast should be the stronger force here but how it all interacts is going to prove a problem for the models and more importantly us, especially when small differences in system placements and tracks will make massive differences in surface conditions.

i guess we will be paying more attention to the short range models now so perhaps won’t be so exercised by the mid term continuity !

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Banbury said:

Have to say I’d rather the LP be further North

Further south the better imo, keeps us all in the colder air for longer with no chance of mild muck sneaking in.

• Like 5

Posted

That awkward moment you accidently read the model discussion archive, with massive down grades :-@ Back to the present, lol , looking cold for the foreseeable and with the extra stratosphere warning, maybe with us for a while :-)

t850Norfolk (1).png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
46 minutes ago, Interitus said:

This article from the Meteorological Society Weather journal is worth reading at this point - An historical and climatological note on snowfalls associated with cold pools in southern Britain - http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wea.666/pdf

Jan 1987 rates as the record deep cold pool at around 495/496 dam 1000-500mb thickness.

The authors say -

In fact that whole edition of the journal from Jan 2011 is freely available and is a special issue focused on severe winter weather and worth a look for those inclined -

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wea.v66.1/issuetoc

That second link is in my favourites and makes for very interesting reading. If the models are correct as now looks likely late Winter 2018 may soon get a mention?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
16 minutes ago, Banbury said:

Have to say I’d rather the LP be further North

It wouldn’t stay north anyway. The likelihood, with it so far south, is that it will miss the UK completely (maybe not the Channel Islands) given the usual direction of travel as we count down to zero hour. The battle at this stage is over whether a northerly incursion gets there first and you can see suggestions in this morning’s output that it will. This might suppress anything next weekend but it gets rid of any potential days with milder uppers and brings new opportunities of fronts working their way down the country.

EDIT: Going through GEFS members, everything is on the table equally: missing completely to the south, clipping the south, moving up through the country or so far north it brings a warm sector to southern counties. 

Edited by ukpaul
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bobby93 said:

Further south the better imo, keeps us all in the colder air for longer with no chance of mild muck sneaking in.

Sorry , I should have been clearer , further North...stalling before moving off

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

GFS 06Z deserves an OMFG again this morning. We saw these ridiculously low thicknesses and 850s when they were in FI but never thought they would still be here now; then they got watered down a bit; now they’re back. Amazing. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

looks like the channel low will be too far south for snowmaggedon? 

viewimage.pbx?type=gfs;date=20180223;time=06;ext=174;file=tmp850;sess=2b2a285618d167f7248371844d7f2549;

• Like 1

Posted

morning all, hopefully another day of fab output to come, just 1 quick question, if there was to be a turn around in the depth of cold/snow etc to something alot less cold and less servere, what could the models of over/under estimated?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
1 minute ago, Crashlanding said:

viewimage.pbx?type=gfs;date=20180223;time=06;ext=174;file=tmp850;sess=2b2a285618d167f7248371844d7f2549;

Depends on the location of the fronts I guess. The warm sector is certainly in France but it’s the location of the occlusion I’d be interested in

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Crashlanding said:

But would  spark heavy snow showers with such cold uppers?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Good news is most of the GEFS 6z keep the cold and indeed reinforce it from the North at the time the 6z op became milder..so a prolonged very cold spell is more likely than not! ..and what a week we have in store:cold::D

• Like 2