Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - here comes the beast!

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

We also have a special post SSW cold spell discussion open here:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89358-ssw-related-cold-spell-will-it-wont-it/

Thank you!

Posted

Hmm, have a feeling that the 'dry' headline for next week might get quietly dropped soon. Insane amounts of snow on this GFS run. Looks like the models were overdoing the heights to our north, which means lower pressure plus deep cold = huge snow falls.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Snow depths from the 18z as we end next week. Pure conjecture. but interesting and hardly a one of showing from the models from the last 24hrs or so. 

HMM.gif

• Like 7

Posted

Some outrageous weather shown on the GFS18 hrs run!

Who writes these outputs ! :D

The block on this run is much better positioned , in terms of the snow moving ne , these set ups are going to cause a lot of problems in terms of forecast.

Low pressure moving ne against a block! 

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

massive snowfest! kinda like what bbc were suggesting as a possibility

gfs-0-192.png?18

I thought the models are suggesting a continuation to the cold well into March but it seemed to me the BBC (9.55) were suggesting it would turn to rain as this low moved up from France. Hopefully not.   

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, chionomaniac said:

I didn't believe the runs that showed the mild air getting north into the country by the end of next week. This is far more in line with what I would expect given the rare synoptics. Likely to be some very disruptive weather.

Salt value gone up another notch.

Also the biggest thing to note is the upper high is lingering far longer on this run and isn't really weakening all that much through to 216hrs. Much more believable than the agressive runs before. 

My gut is this ends up going so far south eventually it misses us totally. However I would adore the 18z GFS set-up to come off!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Right if the GFS comes into fruition I probably won't be able to visit here for a long while.

GFSOPEU18_216_2.png

I'll be back when the power is restored and the snow has finally melted in April :rofl:

In all seriousness though, there would be crazy amounts of snow as that low meanders in the cold air for at least 48 hours!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Gotta be pushing half a meter of snow on the North York Moors on the current forecast! Drifts would be significantly higher. I'm sure it can't maintain this sort of craziness in future runs, but I said that earlier this week and what I'm seeing tonight is blowing those runs out of the water! 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Youcan'tbecirrus said:

I thought the models are suggesting a continuation to the cold well into March but it seemed to me the BBC (9.55) were suggesting it would turn to rain as this low moved up from France. Hopefully not.   

Looking at that I thought that some milder air would be pumped up but obviously not Looking at the 850s

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Also the biggest thing to note is the upper high is lingering far longer on this run and isn't really weakening all that much through to 216hrs. Much more believable than the agressive runs before. 

My gut is this ends up going so far south eventually it misses us totally. However I would adore the 18z GFS set-up to come off!

If it misses us completely then another chance down the road is likely as it just will mean that we are in the cold air for longer. Would agree with you though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I know that Low has been showing for a couple of days now, but what’s the betting it will go south? It seems to quite often correct that way if I’m remembering rightly. Or are The Synoptics different this time?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder , Lightning , Snow , Blizzards

I can’t get my head around this upgrading nearer the event ! Isn’t it supposed to be ‘watered’ down ! 

Next week should be fun ! Fighting penguins for the last tin of sardines in Asda ! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,wind, heat and thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Gorky said:

Gotta be pushing half a meter of snow on the North York Moors on the current forecast! Drifts would be significantly higher. I'm sure it can't maintain this sort of craziness in future runs, but I said that earlier this week and what I'm seeing tonight is blowing those runs out of the water! 

Aye living in Moors I'm getting excited ?

• Like 2

Posted

Has there ever been a chart like this before

GFSOPNH18_228_1.png

Easterlies at 60 degrees throughout the entire hemisphere.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
13 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

massive snowfest! kinda like what bbc were suggesting as a possibility

gfs-0-192.png?18

This is on a par with the blizzard of 1881

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, tight isobar said:

And she stalls...

Constant snow fall !!!!!!

gfs-0-228.png

yeah and look what is come down from the North East.. reload of the cold uppers this going to stay all snow until day 15 and beyond lol

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, pages said:

yeah and look what is come down from the North East.. reload of the cold uppers this going to stay all snow until day 15 and beyond lol

o and look here comes the Artic high where is that heading back to Scandie lol we are locked in

gfsnh-0-252.png?18