Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - here comes the beast!

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

We also have a special post SSW cold spell discussion open here:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89358-ssw-related-cold-spell-will-it-wont-it/

Thank you!

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snowjokes92 said:

Anyone please got ecm snow charts. I just cant believe the output. Please someone pinch me!! 

I wonder if steve murr is ok after server crash. Hope hes okay!:rofl:

Not as good as you'd think tonight. Only places with more than a couple of inches are eastern counties and Scotland. But MASSIVE pinch of salt needed. The country would turn white eventually on the ECM 12Z no matter what the snow chart says.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
16 minutes ago, tinybill said:

iknow  its  fantasy world

gensnh-15-1-276.png

gensnh-15-1-288.png

Another blizzard *yawns* 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I had the misfortune of going on TWO, anywho fantastic NWP I’ll be incredibly surprised if there is not a Thames Streamer possibly more than one. Toasty SSTs in the Thames Estuary that caught my eye. 

82A38DDC-2C29-4AA6-9090-59022DA9843B.thumb.png.a0b67a880b6a1d5f3274137519369135.png

The North Sea will be a giant snow machine next week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

Now I'm actually a bit scared. I think the country can just about recover from 4/5 days of this. But the ECM op gives just the hint that this may go on 2 or 3 weeks, because it gets the Greenland High in the right spot, and once it gets there it might be hard to shift. If uppers stay below minus 10 for two weeks, there will be big consequences across the country. Just how long will the schools be happy to stay shut for when there's 3 inches of snow falling every day on the east coast?

How  much are the modes in agreement about the potential for 2-3 weeks?

Because it looks to novice-me like most of the recent stuff has had some kind of suggestion that this is 2-3 weeks, not 4-5 days. 

I don't suppose you could do one of your summarising things of how many models weakly or strongly suggest 1 week and how many suggest 2 or 3, could you? 

(And if schools are closed, people are off work in every other job looking after their kids... etc., etc.)

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

You know it's a big one when the servers crash. Best easterly I've ever seen modelled from Perm (Russia) to Poznan to Peterborough to Pembrokeshire and then ending up in Philadelphia. Phantastic!! 

In the meantime, it's time to start getting screen wash topped up, possibly snow chains for tyres and a shovel and salt. All aboard the Siberian express!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
8 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

UKMO extended remaining easterly

ukm2.2018030112_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.6c78c0d281370af60d76452d71af6dc9.png

Difficult to see how that compares with the other models at 168 - ECM 12z had the Iberian low a bit flatter and with a bit more troughing to the east at that time span...

Posted
8 minutes ago, tinybill said:

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/datmdlout.aspx

just look what  happens after84hr!!! i think i should email this to bbc weather !!:shok::yahoo::cold: its  day after tomorrow  weather!!

Looking at the precip chart, surely its overestimating the ability of the Atlantic to regain control, eventhough in deep FI?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

While it's quiet..with only 506 members on here..:D..Here are some welcome to spring charts from the GEFS 12z..the BEAST is coming!! :cold::shok:

0_168_850tmp.png

1_168_850tmp.png

3_168_850tmp.png

4_168_850tmp.png

7_168_850tmp.png

8_168_850tmp.png

9_168_850tmp.png

10_168_850tmp.png

12_168_850tmp.png

13_168_850tmp.png

17_168_850tmp.png

18_168_850tmp.png

20_168_850tmp.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
11 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Not as good as you'd think tonight. Only places with more than a couple of inches are eastern counties and Scotland. But MASSIVE pinch of salt needed. The country would turn white eventually on the ECM 12Z no matter what the snow chart says.

Agreed thank you. Was just curious. No how unreliable they are.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
5 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

While it's quiet..with only 506 members on here..:D..Here are some welcome to spring charts from the GEFS 12z..the BEAST is coming!! :cold::shok:

0_168_850tmp.png

1_168_850tmp.png

3_168_850tmp.png

4_168_850tmp.png

7_168_850tmp.png

8_168_850tmp.png

9_168_850tmp.png

10_168_850tmp.png

12_168_850tmp.png

13_168_850tmp.png

17_168_850tmp.png

18_168_850tmp.png

20_168_850tmp.png

A few perbs in there like the ECM 12z op run - P9, 10, 17, 18, 20 etc...we're looking for that Iberian low to become 'flatter' and move somewhat east.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

EC 120 (and the rest!) show a synoptic evolution modelled that we have not seen for some 30 years, with the orientation of the high and the associated cold pool combining to create a "Tsunami" type easterly flow.

superlatives have all been used..... so just look and behold.

IMG_3362.thumb.PNG.8926a6d96cfc314e826adcd46c216403.PNG

IMG_3363.thumb.PNG.2823cf9b5f2ee493e381ea8cf53e29a4.PNG

IMG_3364.thumb.PNG.b287800492245324baeae3af90f0102e.PNG

Ps...

SSW....'cheers :0 

Edited by chris55
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Late to it tonight, and just starting to view the commentry here on the ECM and then the crash.  So I knew what to expect before even looking at Meteoceil!

In my view this is nearly nailed which is good because as resident weather geek, I've promised an update to work colleagues tomorrow.  Would like to see the ARPEGE issue sorted by the 0z runs - it's a decent model for the short timescale it runs for and I'd like it on board.

Aside - this event is seriously unreported in my view, particularly BBC.

looking forward to the 18z!

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express

Site crash arrived at the worst possible time. Wife's birthday and was forced to do the hoovering. Thankfully the distraction allowed me to view the ECM in one sitting. Jeez, did we die and go to heaven?

JMA sums up today's output pretty accurately (stella).

tempresult_nnl5.gif

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Looking at next week I’m wondering when the first few schools shut due to either the freezing cold or snow, I’m thinking the conditions will start to become a problem from Monday evening, probably Monday morning for the east. Although the uppers look a little marginal ? 

• Thanks 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

UKMO extended remaining easterly

ukm2.2018030112_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.6c78c0d281370af60d76452d71af6dc9.png

yep looks like that low to West of Spain is taking more easterly route through Med than North -East through France on the ECM.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events
1 minute ago, markw2680 said:

Looking at next week I’m wondering when the first few schools shut due to either the freezing cold or snow, I’m thinking the conditions will start to become a problem from Monday evening, probably Monday morning for the east. Although the uppers look a little marginal ? 

Can’t imagine it will take long for them to start closing, I was shocked to find out that some close because they can’t afford to heat the buildings in this severe weather. Shocking state of affairs!

• Thanks 1

Evening each:)

Well the beast is coming,it's going to get in cold terms like Feb 1991

Now starts the fun ,looking at charts for where the snow will fall and when 

At the moment it's looking like Tuesday onwards starting in the east ,moving across most parts on Wednesday and lasting till at least the following weekend 

A proper cold spell coming for most of us with some seeing more  snow than others ,bit early to say where but the east and southeast look favourite at this stage 

Injoy the coming weather and stay safe,:cold:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I’m. not  a mod but the thread is drifting away from model discussion and analysis - that’s not an invitation to have a punfest either unless your post is model related! 

Indeed, it' sno fun when you come on here looking for the 192 18z and cant find it under the snizzle. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

ICON rolling out and looks almost identical to its 12z. Perhaps just a smidge south. A smidge!!!

E64576D4-AAC8-4E96-BF52-9CCF3A4188B6.thumb.png.8962f1a1ab49697f6e1ad7985cf39117.pngD368BC77-9152-439F-846C-4B7D2F131B66.thumb.png.cd7d4829f9fee2719c2b7e66d663c724.png