Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - here comes the beast!

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

We also have a special post SSW cold spell discussion open here:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89358-ssw-related-cold-spell-will-it-wont-it/

Thank you!

Posted

Best 144 chart ever in the history of Netweather?....bloody close if not :cold-emoji:

UN144-21.gif

UW144-7.gif

Edited by Southender
  • Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Fingers said:

Can anyone post country wide 850’s for the coldest days in 87, 91, 10 and 13? Interested to see where this is predicted to sit!! It looks completely bonkers!

Post World War 2, this is the coldest chart in the archives for our shores from an easterly. 1st February 1956.

NOAA_1_1956020118_2.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

gfseu-2-288.thumb.png.ad9a492d633067cf5d5d859ea91a2a25.png

Waits patiently for someone to mention the word breakdown....

• Thanks 1

Posted

Amazing charts this afternoon, only yesterday I was concerned about any more southward corrections and I thought we weren't going to see anything close to 87/91, if these predictions can just hold or be slightly watered down from here the UK is in for a shock.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I seriously doubt that I've seen better charts than these, in all the years I've been using NW! :yahoo:

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

12z ICON snow predictions

output_BXRBTr.gif

Looks like im going to wake up to several inches for once here in sunny east suffolk. 10miles from sea btw. I think the next two days are crucial to get a real idea of snow potential. So happy that the models are so consistent which is a rare given our last few winters

• Like 7

Posted
14 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

UKMOOOOOOO…

So drink it in

Breathe it

As I swear you'll never see anything like this ever again

Until tomorrow morning...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
Just now, mulzy said:

Until tomorrow morning...

When it upgrades further. lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east
  • Weather Preferences: Snow November to March. Heat and sun late April to early October
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east
41 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I know but it’s fairly common sense.. the Estuary is above average. Vigorous convection.

A9E89920-B476-4F07-80FF-E1801FD77667.thumb.png.77a1ffcbf93d67d54d4983ce045453b2.png

I like the ad!funny enough I'm going to Mauritius on good Fri think I'll need it after the Thames streamers!?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

How are some going to sleep!

The excitement is really growing, I’m extremely happy for all you long suffering coldies in the UK. :)

Some of the 850s suggested I’m sure would be almost unprecedented in March.

We're not! :rofl:

• Like 3

Posted
36 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

A look at the max / min temps from the Gfs 12z next week...Brrrrrrrrrrrilliant:D:cold-emoji:

12_123_uk2mtmp.png

12_138_uk2mtmpmin.png

12_147_uk2mtmp.png

12_162_uk2mtmpmin.png

12_171_uk2mtmp.png

Except if you are a plant... sap production has already started so they get even more vulnerable. I love extreme weather though. It looks like this Beast is coming. ?

36 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

If some of these outrageous charts come off, there'll be no daffs left to bloom due to frostbite!

Daffs will be absolutely fine, they are incredibly tough. Tree buds are much more vulnerable as sap production has started...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Unreal output.  Utterly bonkers depth of cold heading our way!  March 2013 was a wonderful event but was exceptional as there was no huge cold pool, just perfectly positioned pressure systems to deliver snow...this is looking an altogether different beast.

Just hoping my move up north to Sheffield hasn't lessened the amount of snow I'll see from this!

• Like 1

@Mucka mentioned he saw a new Scandi high forming in GFS 12z FI. I would not be surprised whatsoever. A record SSW followed by a secondary Canadian warming has well and truly smashed the Polar Vortex to pieces and it'll be a long, hard recovery for it. The atmosphere will be primed for height rises in Greenland and Scandinavia well into March. I have a feeling winter will show its hand well into the depths of March... It takes one look at long range temperature anomalies to see this. 

Posted

Sorry if it’s been pointed out. One of the main differences between meto and gfs at t144 is the handling of the lp as it enters into scandy. 

Meto has a completely different picture, much deeper, therefore dragging down momentum pushing the Greenland high into a better shape. Gfs barely anything. Also the low pressure over Eastern Europe which gfs has and the meto doesn’t. Rather chalk and cheese like at a relatively near timeframe. Hence much bigger differences t168 and beyond. 

Meto far better for prolonged cold. 

7A6571C8-7CB6-42AF-B94D-20598CFEEBB3.gif

FF7C9C59-D10F-4B12-9D39-877A5D11867E.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
3 minutes ago, Kathryn Atkin said:

Me too. Following enthusiStically but struggling to understand how the charts operate. Must find a dummy’s guide...

High pressure clockwise rotation, low pressure anti-clockwise.  So the pressure over Scandinavia is High Pressure and all the isobars going straight over us from weekend onwards(more clearly) are showing wind, weather coming from the East.

BFTP  

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!
17 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

12z ICON snow predictions

output_BXRBTr.gif

Central Scotland could do well from this setup, Forth-Clyde streamers in abundance :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Hopefully this won't verify, the other 12z output is exceptional, hope the Ecm 12z is too!:)

arpegeeur-0-114.png

• Like 1

Another important note- IGNORE THE BREAKDOWNS IN FI. Literally days ago the models were showing us that the North might miss out on snowfall due to the high being too far south. Today, the ECM modelled Newcastle to recieve 20 inches. The models do not have the next few days nailed on, forget the next few weeks.

Moreover, cold air and Scandi highs are very difficult to shift and the GFS is being overly progressive. If we do get a clean retrogression to Greenland, we're in this for the long haul. 

Let's say we do have a breakdown. As I alluded to earlier, I've no doubt more HLB will develop as we head into March. The atmosphere is just primed for it at the moment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS ensembles has us sub -10 air for a good 96 hours

graphe3_1000_261_105___.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Been out all day so only just catching up and it appears the 'tail back' of heights across Scandinavia has gained more support today. Glad to see LP no longer diving down so fast and far west to slice that apart by Tue-Wed as was the behaviour of a concerning number of runs yesterday.

GFS making less of that tail than most, which combined with it's typical poleward LP track bias makes me even more skeptical than usual of how it manages to sweep in air with 2 m temps as high as +7*C for the far south during the night of 2nd-3rd. At the very least I'd expect to see the milder air mixed out strongly as per the ECM 00z - but even that general idea of a low drifting N seems a bit off when the jet stream is still tracking on east through the Mediterranean. Typically in that scenario we the trough unable to form a single clean circulation, as the deep cold keeps interfering with anything more than about 100 miles in diameter - so forcing the trough to 'make do' with multiple smaller circulations which don't push north so effectively and tend to 'tuck in' colder air into their relatively small, right circulations, with exciting/troublesome results if they've made it over land.

Admittedly these 'rules' are not absolute so we can't rule out a broader circulation overcoming the odds, but while it's at more than 4 day's range, model runs performing such actions don't concern me too much. Hopefully we won't have to deal with any such solutions inside the 4 day range as I can just imagine the pandemonium as the snow/rain boundary shifts with each new run!

• Like 5