Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - here comes the beast!

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

We also have a special post SSW cold spell discussion open here:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89358-ssw-related-cold-spell-will-it-wont-it/

Thank you!

Posted
Just now, ICE COLD said:

What model are you referring to . And it's definitely snowy on various days next week .?

Not really snowy in south wales on the GFS that I been looking at. Looks pretty sunny but freezing. I am still confused about the azores low people keep referencing on the runs it pushes the cold back out to over the continent  

Posted

I don't buy this but if we take it at face value in the ensembles the trend is well on the way up longer term...

IMG_0355.PNG

Edited by Weathizard

2 minutes ago, mrmonopoly said:

Not really snowy in south wales on the GFS that I been looking at. Looks pretty sunny but freezing. I am still confused about the azores low people keep referencing on the runs it pushes the cold back out to over the continent  

ECM shows a possible period of snow working across from the east maybe one to watch 

Screenshot_20180222-125303.thumb.png.78ca3135a2cffaff9b8f68a8ae668867.png

Screenshot_20180222-125312.thumb.png.e9a6f28d5357d771fc49ef3d4453e269.png

Screenshot_20180222-125323.thumb.png.d8c1a43b651b0192ae9c0761d4b73069.png

• Like 2

Posted

I'm wondering about night time minimum temperatures. Clear sky's and slack winds over deep snowfields. If its records your after, any chance of beating

13 December 1981 Shawbury Midlands -25.2 °C
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Fender.. said:

I'm wondering about night time minimum temperatures. Clear sky's and slack winds over deep snowfields. If its records your after, any chance of beating

13 December 1981 Shawbury Midlands -25.2 °C

Records are there to be broken, lets hope plenty are this coming week.

Posted
5 minutes ago, mrmonopoly said:

How is it snowy with a preassure of 1020mb over wales

Not an exact science as other factors come into play but 1020 should be perfectly okay with this depth of cold. If it were 1030 or above that starts to become more of a problem re snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
Just now, Summer Sun said:

Below is a GIF of ICON's 06z snow charts for early next week don't take these as a given as we are still some time off yet in weather terms

giphy.gif

Abundant and possibly very impressive Thames streamer from London to Portsmouth/Solent and further north, a wash streamer giving the midlands a shout, and possibly a Humber streamer too. I'm liking this a lot! 

Not sure if it's me, but it feels like we are already on the cusp of it, as its feeling very nippy and that continental look about things! Crisp, cold and quite clear. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
2 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

I don't buy this but if we take it at face value in the ensembles the trend is well on the way up longer term...

IMG_0355.PNG

Not according to the latest METO extended forecast it isn't - quite the contrary in fact!

That gives me more confidence than the ever varying GEFs in the current uncharted scenario we find ourselves in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Most of the GEFS 6z hold on to the bitterly cold snowy weather until the end of next week followed by some snowy breakdowns then milder but some stay cold and others then show a return to very wintry weather further into march but obviously i'm hoping for a prolonged freeze with plenty of snow..looks like I will get my wish!:):cold:

• Like 3

Posted

Pleased too see the UKMO has improved on its drier easterly output that it shown yesterday but despite this morning runs, I still can't say with full on certainty we will see a full on convective easterly  just yet, especially the further North you are. It does seem like the main bulk will still head into France but hopefully the ripple affect as shown by the ECM in particular comes into play.

No doubt it will turn quite cold for the time of year with the coldest air across southern and eastern areas, it's just will we get enough instability to produce the sunshine and snow shower set up? 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Purga said:

Not according to the latest METO extended forecast it isn't - quite the contrary in fact!

That gives me more confidence than the ever varying GEFs in the current uncharted scenario we find ourselves in.

Oh don't get me wrong I don't buy the GEFS at the best of times let alone with the complexity of everything going on at the moment but it's something to note, I'd still prefer to have them inside obviously.

Yeah Meto update is good, however it does include an update about milder periods in the south west which COULD indicate that they see something similar to what the GEFS is showing at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
15 minutes ago, Jason M said:

Not an exact science as other factors come into play but 1020 should be perfectly okay with this depth of cold. If it were 1030 or above that starts to become more of a problem re snow.

In 1987 Kinross got 45 cms under a pressure of 1035 and many parts of East and Central Scotland between 30 and 55cms between 1030 and 1035. Plenty moisture in the North Sea!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*
22 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Below is a GIF of ICON's 06z snow charts for early next week don't take these as a given as we are still some time off yet in weather terms

giphy.gif

Bristol channel streamer aswell for Cardiff :p

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Quite liking those ppn charts for the Channel Islands. We seem to do well out those channel streamers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I think next week will rival or beat anything we saw in 2010 / 2013..The models are showing really extreme conditions for the time of year, what an ending to winter and then early spring will be like deep mid winters of old!:)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!
31 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

IMG_0355.PNG

A case of temperature scale skewing perceptions; it's always going to trend warmer when -15c is the main cluster in the reliable! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

I don't think we need to be too worried about quick breakdowns just yet. I may be remembering incorrectly but I thought the models back in December 2010 constantly called for quicker Atlantic returns and look what happened there!

Edited by Somerset Squall
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Frosty. said:

I think next week will rival or beat anything we saw in 2010 / 2013..The models are showing really extreme conditions for the time of year, what an ending to winter and then early spring will be like deep mid winters of old!:)

no chance of temps that low (-25c). nights aren't long enough. lowest temp on the ec op was -12c (strongish flow also)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
28 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Yeah Meto update is good, however it does include an update about milder periods in the south west which COULD indicate that they see something similar to what the GEFS is showing at the momen

That sounds to me like possible battleground situations from the south west. That'll do me!

28 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Edited by John88B
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Don’t forget regarding any break downs that cold air is a lot denser than mild air. So can see once we are locked into the easterly I can see the cold air taking some shifting to be honest. :cold:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express
23 minutes ago, Connor Bailey Degnan said:

2018 v 2010 LET THE BATTLE COMMENCE

Screenshot_20180222-130725.jpg

Screenshot_20180222-130656.jpg

Bring it on. 5a8ec8f850c00_IMG_4156(2).thumb.jpg.a14cf8237267277a8518b0803481e012.jpg

Certainly 2010 remains the best winter snowfall in Lincolnshire since anything I saw in the 70's and 80's. Based on this morning's GFS ensembles for the same area there are a few perts that could run it close. (Rob K on TWO posted this table for Oxfordshire this morning - clicking my area raised an eyebrow or two). Actually this new table from Meteociel is well handy - think @lorenzo talked about it on here the other day and I've started using it regularly to get a quick handle on ENS fundamentals. 

table_tsb0.png

Edited by supernova
  • Like 2