Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - here comes the beast!

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

We also have a special post SSW cold spell discussion open here:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89358-ssw-related-cold-spell-will-it-wont-it/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

just caught up with 30 odd pages of model posts....jeez!.....It's not often that I'm lost for words (just ask the wife) but blimey what a gobsmackingly ramptastic set of runs we've had the past 24 hours.....How many times have we ever been able to say that a 'beasterly' is locked in?.....Sounds good doesn't it?....lol....deep cold arriving at T96 and the ECM?....wow, blizzard machine with a channel(ish) low a bit further down the road.....Yes, for the latter, a pinch of salt is needed as it's still bordering on the edge of FI, but let's face it, with that much snow potentially, a thousand truck loads of salt still wouldn't melt it....lol...................................One thing though, it's very rare we get this kind of weather pattern occuring so let's all take time to savour it and not look for the end of it, otherwise the famous NetWeather winter quote will have to changed to "Get the cold in first, and the inevitable plank posting about a breakdown will follow".....lol

In closing, I asked for an expert second opinion of this upcoming spell of weather, and the great news is that Olaf says ...... yes-yes.thumb.jpg.b49d45428948833c21bc7537a3d0d92c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just been going through the GEFS and there are some real blinders in there. Out of the entire suite there are maybe only 2-3 runs where the brutal cold in the second wave doesn't hit the UK. It is also clear that there is a growing trend for lows to encroach from the south further enhancing the gradient.  

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

Do think the idea of small 'cold' ridges appearing over Scandinavia and to our north is a sound one once this initial cold incursion wanes. And that's before our next proper influence from the strat warming is felt.

If only it was a few weeks earlier Stewart - could have really been looking at a month to rival some of those in the seventies/early eighties (ignoring 47/63)

lets look forward to what we have over the next couple weeks anyway - the London eps T2’s fit the 30 dayer which stays clustered cold to 6th at least 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Something tells me there's a nationwide freeze (Beasterly) on the way!!..doesn't the GEFS  6z mean look sensational!:cold-emoji::good::D

21_120_850tmp.png

21_144_850tmp.png

21_150_2mtmpmax.png

21_174_850tmp.png

21_174_2mtmpmax.png

21_198_2mtmpmax.png

21_198_850tmp.png

21_222_2mtmpmax.png

21_222_850tmp.png

21_246_850tmp.png

21_246_2mtmpmax.png

• Like 7

Posted
7 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

Do think the idea of small 'cold' ridges appearing over Scandinavia and to our north is a sound one once this initial cold incursion wanes. And that's before our next proper influence from the strat warming is felt.

This has been modelled at medium range on both GFS yesterday and ECM today. It seems reasonable to suppose the residual cold pool left over Scandinavia will encourage, in the absence of a strong PV or northern jet, the formation of "cold" HP cells analogous to what we see over Greenland. The question is whether these will have any impact on a returning Atlantic.

I also noted GFS trying to build HP just to the north of the British Isles on a more southerly tracking jet.

I think there will be a return to milder conditions in the south and west in the second week of March but this "could" be transitory IF HP re-asserts to the north or north-east.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express

GFS ensemble shows Op and Control very much at the milder end of the spectrum beyond the initial plunge. Good.

graphe3_1000_288_46___.thumb.gif.280dbdf20008b7271834de11ceb9757e.gif

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Ecm 00z ensemble mean is the best yet!..high further north, nobody would miss out on this upcoming severe wintry spell..hope this continues and next week produces the most extreme icy / snowy blast nationwide that we've seen since 2010!!:)

ECMAVGEU00_120_2.png

ECMAVGEU00_144_2.png

ECMAVGEU00_168_2.png

ECMAVGEU00_192_2.png

ECMAVGEU00_216_2.png

ECMAVGEU00_240_2.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

A clear shift in the GEFs 06z towards colder and extended cold solutions as compared to the 0z run albeit that the Op & Control go the less cold route earler on still.

0z                                                              6z

image.thumb.png.5ef1d4abea605fb5f7289a48a8c7fb77.pngimage.thumb.png.92d3dfc83a9793de8719c7f230952f3c.png

A lot of scatter later on.

Edited by Purga
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
6 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

This is the sort of synoptic I would be looking for around the t300 mark.

gensnh-14-1-300.thumb.png.22754d5fd0c5e47dfbe63f8cd435ebc6.png

That's around the time our second downwelling pulse should be making itself felt. Not what those of us hoping to be going to Cheltenham the following week will be wanting.

Certainly wont be wanting to back anything that likes cut in the turf.. #solid #cheltenham..?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder , Lightning , Snow , Blizzards

Think our PM discussion may well have jinxed the festival @Glacier Point 

Problematic if you’re anywhere near right ! 

• Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Oh my, look at this for a graph!!

THE BEST THIS WINTER BY A COUNTRY MILE

Look at the mean, sub zero 2mT, rarer than rocking horse ****

Latest 15 days ensemble forecast temperature for Londonimage.thumb.png.0af60b1e1a78903eca0cf54c2108b27a.png

You'll never see a better ensemble for cold this side of the channel.

Look at that for 1st March - clustering maximums between 0C and minus 4C. And that's London! It'll be colder away from there.

Remember - March temperature record is -4.6C. Unless there's a quick turn around in the models (looking less and less likely), it could go. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
1 minute ago, mrmonopoly said:

What is that likely to cause ? 

Plenty withdraws(non -runners)..

#likely!!!!?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Raythan said:

Think our PM discussion may well have jinxed the festival @Glacier Point 

Problematic if you’re anywhere near right ! 

There was an inspection on the first day in March 2013 due to frost. They'll obviously put down frost covers but if they get covered in snow it starts becoming an issue.

Gold Cup day was lost to snow in 1977 or 1978 as I recall.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
2 hours ago, SizzlingHeat said:

The low in the Azores is concerning for prolonging the cold. Looks to make inroads towards tail end of the week again....

As I've mentioned, an Azores low is 10000x better than a typical nagging, stubborn Azores high, and a big governor of the NAO. An Azores high will generally mean a +NAO. The Azores low has always been a common feature in some of the most historic cold spells. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

As I've mentioned, an Azores low is 10000x better than a typical nagging, stubborn Azores high, and a big governor of the NAO. An Azores high will generally mean a +NAO. The Azores low has always been a common feature in some of the most historic cold spells. 

As long as a strong Azores high goes back to its home by the summer, I don’t mind! 

Great models again today so far. I’m normally fairly cautious, but next week could be special. It’s already got that continental feeling down here with a noticeable east wind.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
42 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

This is the sort of synoptic I would be looking for around the t300 mark.

gensnh-14-1-300.thumb.png.22754d5fd0c5e47dfbe63f8cd435ebc6.png

That's around the time our second downwelling pulse should be making itself felt. Not what those of us hoping to be going to Cheltenham the following week will be wanting.

I wonder when the last time Cheltenham was can cancelled due to snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

1987 Gold Cup was delayed because of a heavy snow shower.

So a good 30yrs ago then.

We really are looking at a record breaking event here, I wonder just how many records could fall.