Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - here comes the beast!

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

We also have a special post SSW cold spell discussion open here:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89358-ssw-related-cold-spell-will-it-wont-it/

Thank you!

Posted
1 minute ago, Banbury said:

With a decades woth of snow 

If you handed me that run now I’d say thank you very much and have a wonderful spring ???

You can’t blame this west-sussexer for marginality phobia though. If this spell isn’t ‘epic’, this winter will otherwise be epic down here for the sheer number of cold rain ‘events’! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

West based -NAO by 240, so not sure how much longer cold spell would last after that, but epic snow storm prior to this.

Posted

Ignore the less cold uppers into the south late on. After days of intense cold and a continental air source, uppers no longer matter. Also, it’s a long way off and unlikely to go like that anyway. This blocked, cold pattern is going nowhere fast.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
3 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

Not a good trend for the beginning of March if you want prolonged cold spell. I guess ECM op is on the same page as GEFS. There could be some wild swings in temperatures for Europe next week.

LOL, seriously. The ECM is quite literally the only model showing a warmer solution for Europe into the first week of March in the 00z output. Next week is nailed on frigid by all of the experts and meteorological agencies. Show me some charts that prove your 'mild trend.'

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted

The ECM op this morning has actually been in the ensembles for a couple of days as a minor cluster - not totally unexpected, but like with all runs at the moment, not worth betting on after T168 for precise detail. Which is kind of a shame if you like snow because next Friday has an awful lot of it.

March temperature record under threat again - some places not above minus 4 next Thursday.

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
11 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

Not a good trend for the beginning of March if you want prolonged cold spell. I guess ECM op is on the same page as GEFS. There could be some wild swings in temperatures for Europe next week.

Even if it got milder by that time frame (and I can't see it) I would be happy with my lot as next week looks really quite special if it is cold and snow you like!

I think I would be ready for Spring by then but I have a feeling a cold spell will roll on for 2-3 weeks minimum.  :cold:

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

See where the LP goes on D10 it retreats , that’s fine 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

LOL, seriously. The ECM is quite literally the only model showing a warmer solution for Europe into the first week of March in the 00z output. Next week is nailed on frigid by all of the experts and meteorological agencies. Show me some charts that prove your 'mild trend.'

GFS played with this a lot yesterday and GEFS have a clear trend right now (at least for Central Europe). So it is definitely one of the possibilities :) 

graphe3_1000___17.8301886792_49.83805668

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

GFS played with this a lot yesterday and GEFS have a clear trend right now (at least for Central Europe). So it is definitely one of the possibilities :) 

They only go 'milder' as high res ends though, I agree definitely on the table but highly unlikely, the GFS loves to blow away cold despite the fact we've seen it's not as simple as that countless times.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

A possibility, not a trend. Look at the spread, look at the output in its totality, look at what the experts are saying. You can't just give throw away one liners about a trend to mild and wild temperature fluctuations, it is misleading.

Should have worded it better, sorry for that. Just something to look out for. Of course it is nice that bitter cold is in reliable timeframe and warm weather in FI. Doesn't happen often.

• Like 3

Posted

phew, i thought i would read this morning that the chilly spell next week had been cancelled after yesterdays model viewing, but i guess we can breath a little easier as it looks like there is still a chance of cold and some snow next week. fingers crossed we will have some stunning output through the day.

• Like 1

Posted

Couple of annoying things 

eps clusters didn’t update past day 7 last night 

gem and ukmo play around with the mid Atlantic shortwaves this morning to the extent that I need to delay my confidence on next weeks evolution till this evening 

note the progressive looking ec op v similar to the gefs mean at day 8

whilst the depth of this cold pool looks unstoppable, the unstable part could still be deflected away from large parts of the uk so still some nagging doubts. We’re 100% on the v cold - that’s not for question 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

That's for Slovakia, right? (49N 17E).

Aberdeen looking ok... MT8_Aberdeen_ens.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
41 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

A possibility, not a trend. Look at the spread, look at the output in its totality, look at what the experts are saying. You can't just give throw away one liners about a trend to mild and wild temperature fluctuations, it is misleading.

Yes agreed.The GEFS will try to revert back to default westerly as is always the case.

However they struggle with a cold pool which will be stagnant and not willing to budge trust me.

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1