Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - here comes the beast!

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

We also have a special post SSW cold spell discussion open here:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89358-ssw-related-cold-spell-will-it-wont-it/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I think this is pretty good, a middle ground between the UKMO and GFS solutions so a direct hit for the UK and much better than the morning run.

ECM1-144.GIF?21-0   ECM0-144.GIF?21-0

Snow moving from east to west along that kink.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
1 minute ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

ECMOPEU12_144_2.png

F5 F5 F5 F5, yessssss...  lol

Much better :D

Note that little trough/kink moving through Wales, some snowfall on that you would think :) 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Captain Shortwave said:

I think this is pretty good, a middle ground between the UKMO and GFS solutions so a direct hit for the UK and much better than the morning run.

'Pretty good'.

Imagine saying that a few weeks ago.  We would have been excited if one ensemble member was showing that at day 15 in the past!

• Like 5

Posted

ECM perfect

ECMOPEU12_144_1.png

-10 uppers widely on Monday then we get a shortwave right in the middle of the country on Tuesday.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
2 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

I think this is pretty good, a middle ground between the UKMO and GFS solutions so a direct hit for the UK and much better than the moaning run.

Edited sir yes its a fantastic run so far

Screenshot_20180221-183115.png

Posted

A very good halfway house between the GFS and UKMO. The ECM a bit slower than the latter to start evolving to the Omega Block.

You don’t want the high like the GFS being sucked eastwards .

Posted

850hpa temps are not as low at 144hrs purely because of a shortwave coming across the UK. This feature has been slowly coming down the line.

So far we have the GFS and the ECM agreeing, the UKMO deciding to do something else. We are still no closer to having any agreement poast the first 24hrs of the easterly flow onthe 26th.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

The epiglottis opens at T168 on ECM.
And spewed towards the UK is a torrent of frigid air: -16 uppers incoming perhaps?
This is the middle ground at the moment.

ECM0-168.GIF?21-0

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, chris78 said:

Please dont take this the wrong way, I am not for one minute saying its all gone tits up,  but the second warming doesnt just affect the models, it affects the weather too, what if they effect is to dilute the strength or reduce the longevity of the cold?    Lots of people have made the point you make, but all seem to assume the SSW will make the models wobble and the settle right back on the ultra cold solution, well maybe they wont?

Yep, I never said whether the warming would or wouldn't enhance/dilute the cold spell. I just said that the models may not have a good handle on the effects of it- they were all over the place after the initial SSW. @Catacol and @chionomaniac (or one of the two ?) mentioned that they thought the secondary warming would in fact increase the chances of a prolonged cold spell. They have been spot on regarding this so far, therefore I'm inclined to accept what they're saying. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Oh my days 

Screenshot_20180221-183643.png

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Steve Murr said:

Pressure on the NE part of the block @144 should instigate westward forcing of the upper cold pool-

Is this the jackpot run????

Yes looks like most of the country will be hit aside from maybe the far North.

ECMOPEU12_168_2.png

Posted

Its about time i did a post on here which takes more than a couple of minutes to type so here we go.

Going to start off by quoting @Paul will save me alot of time posting charts and all from an unbiased source

6 hours ago, Paul said:

Here's a look at the 00z forecasts for 1200 Monday, from the last 11 days on the GFS and Ensembles, plus the last 5 on the ECM

Yesterday the GFS and Ensembles did have the cold coming a touch faster, but in the main you'd mostly call it variations on a theme, barring a few big wobbles here and there. The ECM has had the odd wobble but has actually been more solid on the timing of the deeper cold, if anything bringing it forward a tiny amount today. 

GFS
gfs.png

GEFS (ensembles)
ensembles.png

ECMWF
ecmwf.png

So now we have the previous outputs we can start to come to a conclusion here, i will start with the most obvious.

There is NO strong easterly flow as was previously modelled.. this is key as it will push showers well inland and allow the colder sub -10 uppers to arrive quicker and remain over the british isles. For the majority of the southeast in particular for heavy settling snow the charts at the moment are just not enough.

As above the slack flow off the continent also increases the risk of shortwaves developing hence the varied outputs we are seeing now, the fact the models cant decide on the stregnth of the block is even more concerning.

This should go without saying but with March around the corner and the increasing stregnth of the sun we all need low temps to sustain snow cover for more than a day or too,m -5/-10 850s just wont cut it this time of year without a cold high pressure being in situ more so in the south and would be difficult in the north withouth altitude in this setup as currently modeled.

With the output downgrading the potential consistantly i think we should all be a bit more realistic, im not saying its not going to snow but based of the input, the best most places can hope for is a four day cold snap with a chance of snow a high posibilty but severe snow away from favoured spots is unlikely IMHO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1