Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - here comes the beast!

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

We also have a special post SSW cold spell discussion open here:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89358-ssw-related-cold-spell-will-it-wont-it/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east
  • Weather Preferences: Snow November to March. Heat and sun late April to early October
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east
9 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

gfs and ukmo fantastic for the South of the UK ☺

So a Kent clipper/ Thames streamer looking the most favourable on UKMO then? ( suits me and about half of the population that reside in Southern and Eastern areas ?⛷) still I do hope we have more of a blend of the outputs to favour more of the nation

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Gfs & ukmo don’t look bad to me. Just a variation on theme at moment. But seems they is gonna be some of this tonight 94EAA943-D78D-47CD-BFFD-645FFF5DAD63.thumb.jpeg.7a4f1492d40e29bf251e19992754f61e.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Staffordshire said:

I could counter that with the question, why would it not? If there is growing support for it to do so, the likelihood of it doing so thus increases.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for it to stay further North, but it shouldn't be ignored that there is growing support for the high to extended towards our Norhtern shores.

By that rationale the high will be over the Sahara by Saturday would it not?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
4 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

No the cold uppers would be not cut off ,how if the coldest uppers are further South and it moves North how can the uppers be higher:gathering:

image.thumb.png.951c20c0aa0a40d5ae49d984814d6b64.png
Easy, cold uppers heading to France, if the blocking moves to Greenland we get a northerly instead and the cold pool is stuck on the continent.

Yes there would be a brief period of very cold uppers but only its a risky pattern, any further south and convective activity would be really suppressed due to a more stable atmosphere. 

• Like 1

Posted

all I know is atm in time 

the gfs and the ukmo 12z 

have very cold air still in place for UK with the coldest air south UK 

and snow for many :yahoo:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

How can you can have growing support when 1 model moves south by about 200 miles @144 & one model moves North by severel hundred miles at the same time-

There all within a cone of margin - 

What it actually means is theres no clarity or resolution- 

Just the same as the 12z ECM was The coldest & the 00z was the warmest -

ECM caught onto this yesterday, UKMO today, ICON today.

We await the ECM of this evening.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

no one should be surprised by these 12z  runs so far 

whilst this evolution is being dissected rather more thoroughly than would usually be the case, these changes in a non zonal environment are not unusual at a 5/7 day range and with the second warming also coming through over the past day or so, a reaction by the nwp shouldn’t be unexpected. 

I cautioned to wait for the Thursday 00z output before calling this 

I’m just as disappointed as any of you with the trend but totally not surprised. Hopefully we can see a swing back over the next couple runs to something better re snowfall. 

yes definitely the 2nd warming is causing massive differences to the output run to run. watch where the vortex goes after 84hr on each model all take in different directions and some send shortwave energy across Svalbard splitting the block while GFS just takes the whole thing from Greenland to Siberia around the outside of the block.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Rather unlikely looking GFS with the embedded trough developing and then stalling over Scotland.

gfsnh-0-168.png?12

Posted
1 minute ago, bobbydog said:

can we stop with the North/South divide rubbish? wherever it ends up, its nobody's fault. while you're all bickering, the GFS is chucking out a run which looks good for snow for EVERYONE!

Agree. This north/south thing does no favours. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Staffordshire said:

I could counter that with the question, why would it not? If there is growing support for it to do so, the likelihood of it doing so thus increases.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for it to stay further North, but it shouldn't be ignored that there is growing support for the high to extended towards our Norhtern shores.

Eh? Yes but specifically why would it continue 'trending' southwards? Unless you explain your reasoning, it just looks and sounds like you are basing it on a rather unscientific 'gut feeling'.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

h850t850eu.png

Still capable of prolonging the cold if the LP to the S can get far E enough.

Not only that but potentially making it more intense again for a time.

The huge contrast with UKMO regarding the orientation of the flow and how much the high remains extended out east tells us that, as with yesterday evening, we still don't really know anything beyond 'cold to very cold with snow chances widely' with respect to the likely outcome next week.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

I really would ignore this GFS run. It will be different tonight because the chances of that trough developing in the same way and stalling over Scotland are less than 1% IMO

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mucka said:

I really would ignore this GFS run. It will be different tonight because the chances of that trough developing in the same way and stalling over Scotland are less than 1% IMO

You could have just stopped there mucka 

the trend is currently not our friend and the gfs standing as a beacon against it gives me with no comfort whatsoever!

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 6

Posted
Just now, Mucka said:

I have to agree as well. That trough won't be there in tonight's run and will totally change the charts ( in my opinion)

What is becoming clear is that there are many different options for next week post the initial cold wave on Sunday night / Monday morning 

it doesn't feel as clear cut as a couple of days ago but a Messier picture might lead to more snow but less cold uppers 

Posted
10 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

The operationals.......Hmmmm

ECM 0z 19thECM1-168.GIF?00
ECM 0z 20thECM1-144.GIF?00

ECM 0z 21stECM1-120.GIF?00

Hmmm are you sure........ ?

ECM 12z on the 19th and 20th vs the 0z for 28th 01:00... yes I am sure.

GFS 12z much nicer though.

Edited by Staffordshire

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

You could have just stopped there mucka 

the trend is currently not our friend and the gfs standing as a beacon against it fills me with no comfort whatsoever!

I'm not thrilled by the UKMO, ICON and this mornings ECM all going for a less exciting evolution but I still think it is a trend that could be reversed, or at least revised back toward something more favourable for the whole country.

Certainly not something we want to see continued and progressed upon tomorrow but @carinthian's report of a quicker progression to cold sounds hopeful as that would likely have the initial ridge and high further North 

• Like 5