Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - here comes the beast!

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

We also have a special post SSW cold spell discussion open here:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89358-ssw-related-cold-spell-will-it-wont-it/

Thank you!

Posted

Just to clarify a couple of things, I have not called a failed easterly I simply stated that IF the watering down and arrival of the deep cold continued it would be a cause for concern.

Maybe I should have worded my post better but by easterly I mean deep cold arriving from the east for a period of more than 36-48hrs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
34 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

To set something straight here. I would suggest using the -8c isothern as the goal post as this has been a lot nore consistent in when it arrives. The ECM has pretty much suggested that this will arrive some time on Monday for instance.

Worth noting that whilst the coldest air initially mixes out, it more than compensates for this in terms of a widespread snow event.

Totally agree with yours and many comments trying to calm the negativity down. I think people have become obsessed with seeing purples on the T850 pressure charts, when the purples aren't required from a drier easterly direction which has lower dew points, unlike a warmer Atlantic.

Just because the lower temps are shown to reach us a bit later does not mean the cold and snow has been delayed. The purples just mean turn your hive up a bit more. Me I'm happy with the snow, the wind direction and the surprise disturbances that will pop up post Sunday and the longevity like we haven't seen in a long long time.

Let's just enjoy the rollercoaster and worry when the blocking starts to disappear which I can't see any sign of in the next 2 weeks.

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 4

Posted

The GEFS concern me having just looked at the panels, quite a few of them look like this at 144 with the cold pulse going south, heights flattened/squashed south by the Icelandic low pressure

IMG_0332.PNG

Edited by Weathizard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
6 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

The GEFS concern me having just looked at the panels, quite a few of them look like this at 144 with the cold pulse going south, heights flattened/squashed south by the Icelandic low pressure

IMG_0332.PNG

And the means are fine

Screenshot_20180221-120619.png

Screenshot_20180221-120445.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Chris101 said:

Now i've probably looked at nowhere near as many past cold spells as some of you guys and i do try and remember little trends.

So my question.......Is it not representative of past cold spells to have a theme of cold pulse, trough/disturbance, another pulse of cold, trough/disturbance, pulse of colder air again and so on? 

Obviously as oppose to having a straight easterly going for days on end.

Thanks for the feedback guys, unfortunately any replies must have been lost in the 4 pages of bickering about charts that will look nothing like they do when they get to t0.

On aside note i must be easily pleased, i shall be very happy with -10 uppers heading across the country during Monday.

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

IMG_0332.PNG

How many look like that?

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

And the means are fine

Screenshot_20180221-120619.png

Screenshot_20180221-120445.png

Yes the means look fine on the ecm also, doesn't make its OP run implausable... I'm only concerned by this as we've seen this before with easterlies.. they get squashed and the coldest unstable air floods into France.

If you take a look there's 5/6 ensembles at a quick glance that look to go this way or similar 

2 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

How many look like that?

Here have a look yourself, I count 5 at a glance that look similar

https://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=144

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
8 minutes ago, geordiekev said:

Totally agree with yours and many comments trying to calm the negativity down. I think people have become obsessed with seeing purples on the T850 pressure charts, when the purples aren't required from a drier easterly direction which has lower dew points, unlike a warmer Atlantic.

Just because the lower temps are shown to reach us a bit later does not mean the cold and snow has been delayed. The purples just mean turn your hive up a bit more. Me I'm happy with the snow, the wind direction and the surprise disturbances that will pop up post Sunday and the longevity like we haven't seen in a long long time.

Let's just enjoy the rollercoaster and worry when the blocking starts to disappear which I can't see any sign of in the next 2 weeks.

Great post. Only last week I got snow with 850s of -1, 925s of -1 and freezing level of 1800 feet simply because the dewpoint was just below freezing. That was only with the slightest bit of surface cold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

28 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

People like technical terms, and as a narrative it certainly adds an essence of extremity to things. So whilst a 'polar low' sounds great in this case it is incorrect; can't get polar lows from an easterly.

It formed to the north of the UK though?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
32 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

People like technical terms, and as a narrative it certainly adds an essence of extremity to things. So whilst a 'polar low' sounds great in this case it is incorrect; can't get polar lows from an easterly.

Looks like its from Scandanavia.

Let's call it a Scandanavian Low.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Yes the means look fine on the ecm also, doesn't make its OP run implausable... I'm only concerned by this as we've seen this before with easterlies.. they get squashed and the coldest unstable air floods into France.

If you take a look there's 5/6 ensembles at a quick glance that look to go this way or similar 

You are right to point this out and it continues the uncertainty of how we go from easterly to greeny ridge. Plenty of conundrums affecting next week. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
5 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

The mean at 180z so the 25% you quote Are the minority and there is too much looking into scenarios that WILL change once the deep cold is here

Screenshot_20180221-121945.png

Posted
9 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

If you or anyone believes that at the time scale shown then you must have fairies at the bottom of your garden. Ludicrous to have belief in that happening. To any newcomers ignore such posts.

Brilliant John, Thankyou!   Thats the sort of consistency I was hoping for, and will make the thread a much more useful tool (as it is in summer)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Whilst I agree we should not moan if we get a 850 air at -15c rather than -19 , it does worry me if we get -8 rather -12 . In my experience the -8 gives us wet snow ,sleet at this time of year . We must not see the real cold slip into France , hoping next model runs don’t follow the gfs 0z run . 

Edited by Doctor96

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
Just now, Doctor96 said:

Whilst I agree we should not moan of we get a 850 air at -15c rather than -19 , it does worry me if we get -8 rather -12 . In my experience the -8 gives us wet snow ,sleet at this time of year . We must not see the real cold slip into France , hoping next model runs don’t follow the gfs 0z run . 

Mind you on an easterley dry continental flow there will be more leeway compared to a damp cold norwester. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes
16 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

If you or anyone believes that at the time scale shown then you must have fairies at the bottom of your garden. Ludicrous to have belief in that happening. To any newcomers ignore such posts.

Surely such a chart would have as much of a chance of verifying as it does of not doing so? 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Doctor96 said:

Whilst I agree we should not moan of we get a 850 air at -15c rather than -19 , it does worry me if we get -8 rather -12 . In my experience the -8 gives us wet snow ,sleet at this time of year . We must not see the real cold slip into France , hoping next model runs don’t follow the gfs 0z run . 

Run through this....

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/royaume-uni/point-de-rosee/3h.htm

NOT an issue.

If we were getting a flow from the Atlantic perhaps it would be an issue. But we aren't.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Bobbydog 

know what you mean and those charts suit me as I live exactly where the hit with maximum snow , but I was hoping to make up for the last 20 yrs of poor winters , with a monumental event . Happy if this stays as modelled just worry a trend shows a slip to less than -8 uppers 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
16 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

While 99% of the time those are wise words JH, to be fair it is a comment on what a model is showing (which makes it stand out a bit at the moment!)

And I've never seen such an array of model runs look as close at T96 to what they were showing at T330 in some cases! :)

While t's not something I would have flagged up for the reasons you have put, I don't pretend this chart has any more chance of  becoming reality than any other FI chart but it does lead me to ask this question from the many of here who are much more knowledgeable than me.....

In these conditions evolving, with "reverse zonality", once the models have got to grip with it, is FI modelling a little easier for them to get right as opposed to all the possibilities that the weather coming from the Atlantic can offer?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Doctor96 said:

Bobbydog 

know what you mean and those charts suit me as I live exactly where the hit with maximum snow , but I was hoping to make up for the last 20 yrs of poor winters , with a monumental event . Happy if this stays as modelled just worry a trend shows a slip to less than -8 uppers 

i shouldn't worry about the uppers too much, as long as we have very low dewpoints it should be fine. :good:

• Thanks 1