Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - here comes the beast!

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

We also have a special post SSW cold spell discussion open here:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89358-ssw-related-cold-spell-will-it-wont-it/

Thank you!

Posted

Notice the low pressure system well developed by T+207 (9pm next Thurs) which moves south over the UK resulting in the second image by T+234 (midnight Fri into Sat).

SURELY that's a significant snowmaker?

GFSOPEU06_207_1.png

GFSOPEU06_234_1.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, danm said:

No one is becoming enemy number 1, but you are posting inaccurate information. The first pulse of cold air is still modelled on the GFS6z to come in on Monday as previously forecast, it is not delayed to Wednesday. What the 6z is showing is a second pulse of very cold air coming in again on Wednesday. So where is the delay to Wednesday?

No inaccurate info is posted. Yesterday the deep cold (sub -10) was coming Sunday and continuing uninterrupted for days. Now it is shown to come on Monday  briefly before it gets moderated by the shortwave (so less last -10) and then the next pulse is coming Wednesday. So there is a delay and a discontinuity in the deep cold which is still many days away.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

Exactly what I've been saying but it either gets deleted or pushed aside!

Deep cold uppers were due Saturday, then Sunday, then Monday, next Tuesday now Wednesday! In fact I'll add it to my signature :)

Tbh I thought the same and have done for a week or so as every day there is yet another delay but as I’m just an amateur I find it better to just keep quite lol, sure it’s getting cold we no that but the really deep stuff is constantly getting a slight delay I don’t care if some don’t agree but I can see it for myself. Anyway let’s get it here and see where it goes

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, karyo said:

No inaccurate info is posted. Yesterday the deep cold (sub -10) was coming Sunday and continuing uninterrupted for days. Now it is shown to come on Monday  briefly before it gets moderated by the shortwave (so less last -10) and then the next pulse is coming Wednesday. So there is a delay and a discontinuity in the deep cold which is still many days away.

It wasn't ever shown across the board to come on Sunday. Overall consensus was always Sunday into Monday.

As for the shortwave - that's perfect as it means snow rather than just cold.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 6z shows probably the best cold spell since 2010..all coldies should be thrilled with the latest output which continues to produce dream runs galore..Epic spell on the way!:D:cold-emoji:

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, weirpig said:

Can anyone tell me when the clusters for the ecm come out please?.  or if they already have  Ta

They are out and show six clusters in the period to day 7. All below 23% so analysing them pretty pointless and adds to the uncertainly about just how the cold will come in and how cold/convective/unstable it will actually be

At day 8, the op cluster becomes the largest at 40%. The other two clusters are closer to what we have been seeing over the past few days. 

The upshot of this is we have no strong guidance on the easterly and the trend on  the transition to greeny ridge (omega block as ed posted earlier so succinctly) looks a bit 50/50 on whether it stays all snowy cold or we get a less cold day or so. 

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
5 minutes ago, karyo said:

No, over countless runs, the first pulse of sub -10c uppers has been forecast to arrive between Sunday and Monday. Different runs have played around with the arrival of this air, some showing Sunday, others Monday. The 6z still shows Monday. So there is no delay. Certainly not until Wednesday. Yes on the 6z the uppers moderate temporarily on Tuesday before an even colder wave of 850's come in, but even in that "less cold" interlude on Tuesday, it will still be cold enough for snow. So what is the problem?

Edited by danm
  • Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, karyo said:

Have to agree with this. It’s not moaning, it’s factual! If anything, it’s impatience I feel, but I can’t speak for Karyo either. It’s not moaning, it’s a comment on what the models have shown. It niggles at my mind too.

that said, it’s the most fascinating NWP I can remember since 2010, and it’s wholly likely it will be as memorable an event! 

Edited by Rocheydub
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, karyo said:

I think we all may have been tarred by the -18c uppers that some models have predicted.  Yes both are you are right in your arguments but the 'warming' up of the air is minimal in the sense it will still snow and still be sub zero. I personally would rather unstable air and a slight rise in upper temps and get bands of snow instead.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Five days is bad enough, but anything after ten days really is complete fantasy. It's just another translation of the info.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, karyo said:

Max temps Sunday
102-778UK.GIF?21-6

I think the cold is here.

You are hung up on 850's, you are also forgetting the GFS was at one point the quickest solution and that the cold air was always arriving Sunday/Monday as a cross model mean. 

The Temps fluctuating between runs are down to features being picked up, features that also bring moisture.   

• Like 4

Posted

Why does anyone who has a different opinion or worries get shot down as a moaner or have patronising posts directed at them?  

To give my point some credence, for example we had this on predicted Sunday at day 7... here's what's actually predicted now for the same day

IMG_0329.PNG

IMG_0330.PNG

Edited by Weathizard
  • Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, TEITS said:

Sorry but posts like this are getting on my nerves.

I said about 3 or 4 days ago that Mon-Tues was the likely days the cold air will arrive. Unless my eyes are decieving me then the 06Z is showing between -11 to -13C on Monday for the E.

GFSOPUK00_138_2.png

We are bound to see slight variations i.e some runs being 1 to 3 C colder, cold air arriving 24hrs earlier or later. However I have hardly seen any runs that bring the cold air in on Saturday?

I cannot believe some of the negative comments in this thread recently. Synoptically this in my opinion is a once in 10 yr event. Maybe even 1 in 20yr event if you look at how rare E,lys have been since the 1980s.

You're right TEITS. It has NEVER been modelled to come in Saturday AND the super cold was never meant to come in till a few days later. Yeah there have been shifts forward and backwards slightly in time but nothing to write home about. Like I said previously we have been spoilt by the off-the-wall charts of some days previous. If we had been given even the worse of today's charts a few weeks ago we would be like giddy kids.

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, terrier said:

If anyone can complain at that gfs06z then they really need a new hobby. Cold to very cold conditions with snowfall for many. Great run :cold:

Yes, today it is cold to very cold, yesterday it was holy grail and being compared with 1991/87/96 by many experienced members. Now it is not. Hence the dissappointment. It not rocket science

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

They are out and show six clusters in the period to day 7. All below 23% so analysing them pretty pointless and adds to the uncertainly about just how the cold will come in and how cold/convective/unstable it will actually be

At day 8, the op cluster becomes the largest at 40%. The other two clusters are closer to what we have been seeing over the past few days. 

The upshot of this is we have no strong guidance on the easterly and the trend on  the transition to greeny ridge (omega block as ed posted earlier so succinctly) looks a bit 50/50 on whether it stays all snowy cold or we get a less cold day or so. 

Bolded the important bit. For those stressing, read that last sentence over and over. Worst case we get a brief window of less cold air, before going back in the freezer. Enough time to dig out and re-stock with supplies? :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
1 minute ago, TEITS said:

Sorry but posts like this are getting on my nerves.

I said about 3 or 4 days ago that Mon-Tues was the likely days the cold air will arrive. Unless my eyes are decieving me then the 06Z is showing between -11 to -13C on Monday for the E.

GFSOPUK00_138_2.png

We are bound to see slight variations i.e some runs being 1 to 3 C colder, cold air arriving 24hrs earlier or later. However I have hardly seen any runs that bring the cold air in on Saturday?

I cannot believe some of the negative comments in this thread recently. Synoptically this in my opinion is a once in 10 yr event. Maybe even 1 in 20yr event if you look at how rare E,lys have been since the 1980s.

Spot on, the only difference today is that the easterly flow is slacker, meaning the really cold air is delayed till Monday morning. The high is further north so that promotes instability, the less cold uppers on Tuesday itself may be a catalyst for extra instability.

Then on wednesday we get the really bitter cold air building up over Scandi and a very potent polar low forming. We would get so much snow from that. The slower nature of the easterly flow means that the cold airmass is likely to stay over us for longer or even get stuck.

So waiting an extra 12 hours for the inevitable for some extra rewards later on? Sounds good to me.

ECM is a little concerning but hopefully its gone off on one. I find no reason to moan about the 06z though. Yes it would be good to get the cold uppers in a bit earlier but it's still looking fantastic.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Why does anyone who has a different option or worries get shot down as a moaner or have patronising posts directed at them?  

To give my point some credence, for example we had this on predicted Sunday at day 7... here's what's actually predicted now for the same day

IMG_0329.PNG

IMG_0330.PNG

Exhibit A m’lawd!

Theres the proof it has been delayed. Again, I’m not moaning, just fact!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Why does anyone who has a different option or worries get shot down as a moaner or have patronising posts directed at them?  

IMG_0329.PNG

IMG_0330.PNG

And other models on the 18th showed what the GFS is showing now, whereas they have no sped up the arrival of the very cold air.

On balance there is no delay.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Why does anyone who has a different opinion or worries get shot down as a moaner or have patronising posts directed at them?  

IMG_0329.PNG

IMG_0330.PNG

And where did that run at day 7 sit within the ensembles and within the other model suites?

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

IMG_0329.PNG

IMG_0330.PNG

Thank you for providing the evidence! :)

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Southender said:

Bolded the important bit. For those stressing, read that last sentence over and over. Worst case we get a brief window of less cold air, before going back in the freezer. Enough time to dig out and re-stock with supplies? :rofl:

Indeed but bear in mind that the second round is probably less deeply cold continental air and therefore potentially less likely to be no issue with melt. As I have said all along, I cannot stress enough how important I think it is to get decent snowcover from the first round in order to sustain the surface cold such that the second round is less knife edge with what falls from the sky settling and avoiding a slushfest! 

• Like 4