Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow lover

Posted

Do most people on here get excited by snow? I find I love it even more as I get older. I am a 70year old female and can be obsessive about snow, checking weather websites regularly if there is a whisper of snow. As a child I used to fantasise about being snowed in and cut off. Never happened. But I love the drama around heavy snowfall. Hope it materialises for North Northumberland soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold or Very Cold

Yes you are so right

I am also 70 years old so perhaps it is age related!

The thrill of snow falling and settling is by far the best weather probably because it is so rare

Fingers crossed for you up in Northumberland and us down in Kent!

• Like 1

Posted

It's not an age thing, I'm just shy of 50 years your junior and every snowfall is a wonder to me, it's just magical. Ever since I first remember seeing snow I've been fascinated by it. Even more fascinating has been the deep cold that can often accompany it - the winters of 2009 and 2010 remain the pinnacle to which all future winters will be compared for me but there was a few events before that of note.

I know it's bad for wildlife, I know our country's infrastructure can't cope, I know it hurts the economy and I know it can make life harder for the vulnerable. I feel like everything tells me I should think snow is awful, but I can't. The minute I see it settle I'm entranced by the entire place turning white, the cars being covered quickly by the snow, as it blows on all sides snow. I know I still love it; (I'm lucky enough to have seen 3 inches of snow as recently as the 11th Feb) - I still feel the desire to stare at the radar to search for showers coming my way.

As soon as I see a child or young person or a dog playing in the snow, sledging down a hill or thoroughgoing snowballs I know I'm right and it's the rest of the world that's wrong. Snow is bleeding beautiful, it's still as magical as when I first saw it as a little boy. It's adulthood that killed the enjoyment for many, it shouldn't need to be this way.

I see your new, you'll find the vast majority of users share this view, maybe there's so many of us on here because liking snow is so frowned upon by the outside world. 

Edited by Deep Snow please
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm sixty-one and I will still sit and watch falling snowflakes for almost the entire day...Some of us just never row up!:santa-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
12 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I'm sixty-one and I will still sit and watch falling snowflakes for almost the entire day...Some of us just never row up!:santa-emoji:

i thought you  were 44

Posted

So pleased to know there are other (oldies) who love snow and get excited when they hear it mentioned on weather forecast. And the fun of knowing there will be lots of photos and videos of snow to come!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

No, this is a forum of snow-haters. You will not find anywhere else on the internet where people hate snow as much as they do here.

:wink:

Posted

I have loved snow all my life and accordingly endured annual despair at our mild winters. Thus it was a deciding factor when I agreed to my wife's request back in 2016 to move to Latvia (she's Russian and we needed medical treatment for our kids at some of the clinics in Riga).

But have you ever heard the saying, "too much of a good thing is a bad thing"?

Right now I am ready to emigrate to Marbella, let's put it that way. The highest temperature forecast here for the next week is -6C, with night time lows of -22C forecast and really, truly, madly, deeply, I have had enough.