Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Events

I have to commute from Northallerton to Malton so everyday I have the joy of crossing the moors which has been good over the past few years to give me my snow fix. A few times this winter Sutton bank has been awful but next week looks like it might be worth working from home. 

I'm usually quite on it thanks to silently following you guys in here and the madness of the model thread but I got caught out in the early December snow. Must have only been a couple of cms on the road but going down sutton bank that night was probably the most terrified I've been as a driver as I was pretty much just a passenger! Sheer luck that I didn't crash, I was crawling down it but it just got to the point where the weight of the car wanted me to speed up and because of the snow I had to go with it. 

Definitely not liking the look of next week from a commuting point of view but from a building snowmen with the kids and seeing how this all pans out - I couldn't be looking forward to it more. 

Posted

Ok this is weird. Met Office have put out an early warning in the early hours of this morning for snow next Tuesday. Obviously it covers all those down the eastern half of the country. Don't they normally put warnings out around 11am in the morning? Why so early? 

Edited by Snowmaggedon

Posted
6 hours ago, Formula_1_Fan said:

I have to commute from Northallerton to Malton so everyday I have the joy of crossing the moors which has been good over the past few years to give me my snow fix. A few times this winter Sutton bank has been awful but next week looks like it might be worth working from home. 

I'm usually quite on it thanks to silently following you guys in here and the madness of the model thread but I got caught out in the early December snow. Must have only been a couple of cms on the road but going down sutton bank that night was probably the most terrified I've been as a driver as I was pretty much just a passenger! Sheer luck that I didn't crash, I was crawling down it but it just got to the point where the weight of the car wanted me to speed up and because of the snow I had to go with it. 

Definitely not liking the look of next week from a commuting point of view but from a building snowmen with the kids and seeing how this all pans out - I couldn't be looking forward to it more. 

Sounds scary, I hate Sutton Bank at the best of times, surely though they would close it? I go to Ripon every day so am hoping the roads will be ok, but saying that, the high street isn't even usually done so not sure what chance we have with the other roads!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

I did expect met office to start issuing warnings today...

Expect many more over the next few days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

I honestly can't wait for this cold/severe cold spell. It's been a long wait for the beast to show up. Expect all sorts of surprises not very often -14 air crosses the north sea.

Also liking the look of this feature on the ECM. The fun and games start Monday 

Screenshot_20180223-074612.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

I would take that :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Snow warning issued

Between 03:00 Tue 27th and 23:55 Tue 27th

Showers or longer periods of snow will affect eastern parts of the UK during Tuesday. There is the potential for travel delays on roads, with some stranded vehicles and passengers, as well as delays or cancellations to rail and air travel. Some rural communities could become cut off. Power cuts may also occur and other services, such as mobile phones, may be affected.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

There is a lot of uncertainty in the extent and timing of snow during Tuesday. Showers will bring a large variation in amounts of snow across even small areas with some places seeing very little. The most likely time for a period of more widespread snow currently looks to be during Tuesday morning. There is the potential for locally 5-10 cm of snow across eastern parts however where showers become more organised there may be more widespread snow cover.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?region=ne&date=2018-02-27&regionType=area

Posted

Level 3 cold weather alert issued - one below a red national emergency

Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action

Issued at: 08:59 on Fri 23 Feb 2018

There is a 99% probability of severe cold weather, icy conditions and heavy snow between 0900 on Friday 23 Feb and 0800 on Thursday 01 Mar in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

Cold weather is currently established across the country with widespread overnight frosts. However colder conditions are expected to extend westwards across England during the weekend bringing a significant, and prolonged period of wintry weather. Whilst temperatures are likely to recover slightly by day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, with some sunshine, there will be a notable wind chill, especially in the southeast. During Monday and Tuesday, snow showers are expected to move into eastern areas, before spreading westwards across England. These have the potential to align into bands, bringing some significant accumulations. Not everyone will see snowfall, however 5-10cm is possible where showers do line up, with the greatest risk across eastern and southeastern counties. These will also be accompanied by bitterly cold temperatures, and a significant wind chill. These cold, wintery conditions are then expected to continue Wednesday, and likely beyond, however confidence is low regarding any details at this stage. A further updates and extension to this alert is therefore expected on Monday.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

you can all thank me now! Ive just sold my land rover defender after 4 years ownership and never seeing more than a dusting!!!! Typical!!!!the minute i sell snowmageden arrives lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Well that's me finished work till the 5th March let the fun and games begin :yahoo::cold::yahoo::cold:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather
On 20/02/2018 at 11:49, Rollo said:

Back in 79' the airport was closed in February and I think also March, I live  I mile from the airport and the only possible saving grace is that  i n those days there was no airport by pass so that could be a saving grace  if the snow gets bad enough. Enjoy your holiday.

Thank you and hopefully it is my saving grace ! ? at the moment looking at the charts for next week I’m fearing the worst. Im just hoping next Wednesday early morning is a quieter period for snow and is dry so I can get away! ?

Posted
Just now, Steady Easterly said:

Models have an area of snow coming from Norway on monday night-tuesday, direct hit on our region, been there for several runs, could be a tricky start tuesday morning if it verifies.

I have been keeping an eye on this but it seems to hit North of the region and misses us in the south. Not to worry though am sure there is plenty of other opportunities. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

I have been keeping an eye on this but it seems to hit North of the region and misses us in the south. Not to worry though am sure there is plenty of other opportunities. 

Its a direct hit on the latest runs, only seen one run where its not.:) all academic for now mind.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Crazy PPN totals by next friday for our region..Snow could/will be a major issue..

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 10.40.41.png

Posted

Last 3 acc snow amount charts from GFS out to D10

Yesterday 18z

240-780UK1.thumb.GIF.86c78799aadc6d664bc75d799f6735e3.GIF

Today 00z and 06z

240-780UK.thumb.GIF.d67dd0040bf6537b0decd4a5fbc203f9.GIF240-780UK67979.thumb.GIF.61a2a3267799be2d62aa332225de9be3.GIF

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)
39 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Make the most of the 5c highs today and tomorrow could be a while until they return

3bd96f06-ff2c-455a-b19a-85648b97b333.thumb.png.5ba55c2c59f96f77bae0baf13048fb95.png

Think that is cold, get yourself to consett midweek...

Screenshot_20180223-125029.thumb.png.0d74a0b93c40346592effab72c4d14a9.png

• Like 2

Posted

I'm due to be going from Northallerton to Manchester by train on Tuesday for work, any thoughts on whether I can expect delays etc (based on current forecast?)

Posted
25 minutes ago, doctor32 said:

Think that is cold, get yourself to consett midweek...

Screenshot_20180223-125029.thumb.png.0d74a0b93c40346592effab72c4d14a9.png

Some light snow showers showing up on the radar moving North West through our area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

I'm due to be at a wedding on Saturday 3rd at Guisborough and it's looking like it may be a challenge and a half getting there.

Posted

I am amazed how little has been spoken about on tv etc ref this upcoming whiteout. In the office where I work I have been updating them all week and telling them to get prepared. I told the boss to get some rock salt in ( this is a haulage co.) but no notice taken. People in the office have just said things like "oh yeah, I hear it's going to get colder next week", but there is no sense at all of the potential brutality of what is round the corner. This is because the media have been so quiet about it, and probably just think nothing of it because the "bloke in the office has been going on about it".

Well you know what, it doesn't bother me.

I am the one off out after work to buy a new sledge, two snow shovels, salt, candles etc, while they are still in the shops/while we can still get to the shops. Ha, the laughs are on me!! Cheers office.

It may be because some of them are too young to remember 1987. I was in Bedfordshire at the time and can vividly remember me and my mates larking around daring each other to touch metal fence posts with our tongues, and sticking to it. Ough!

I also have photos of the fast flowing River Ivel being frozen from bank to bank then covered with a 12" deep layer of snow, snaking across the countryside like a huge albino python.

I have a hunch that this next week (or two?) may produce chaos up here, with a couple of "lockdown" days, schools off most of the week, shops running low etc.

Can't wait, BRING IT ON!!!

Edited by snowmackem
spellig
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1