Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

People in the Yorkshire thread may be a little disappointed if tonight's low keeps getting corrected north...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

getting heavier here i would say 4/10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Activity in the sea is dying down a bit, so I dont expect much now for at least a few hours

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
8 minutes ago, Freezing-Point said:

Activity in the sea is dying down a bit, so I dont expect much now for at least a few hours

A few hours might be stretching it a bit.. Plenty of activity out in the North Sea coming this way..Anyways hope it holds off for awhile..just fed the birds and dont want it getting buried just yet..!!

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 10.30.12.png

• Like 1

Posted

Look at whats coming out of Norway.  Hopefully a direct hit on us

http://www.stirimeteo.com/europe-rain-radar/

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all.

I have to say the way this has all been forecasted has been exceptional really. So far it is all following what was said/implied earlier on last week.

A slow start as expected, how exciting watching it all unfold. Expect to be whited out by about 9 or 10 pm tonight, that will be the last we see of grass and clear tarmac for a few days I suspect.

In Shields, one or two light showers, sticking on verges etc so far.

As a reminder, this www.netrafficcams.co.uk/ could come in handy for the next week or so if you are moving round the region, well worth bookmarking.

Have fun, stay safe,

SM

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Not long back from a walk to The Range didn't feel all that cold on the sunny side of Yarm Road

Cloud has rolled in with some powdery flakes falling

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowmackem said:

Morning all.

I have to say the way this has all been forecasted has been exceptional really. So far it is all following what was said/implied earlier on last week.

A slow start as expected, how exciting watching it all unfold. Expect to be whited out by about 9 or 10 pm tonight, that will be the last we see of grass and clear tarmac for a few days I suspect.

In Shields, one or two light showers, sticking on verges etc so far.

As a reminder, this www.netrafficcams.co.uk/ could come in handy for the next week or so if you are moving round the region, well worth bookmarking.

Have fun, stay safe,

SM

Thanks for that

Posted

Updated warning for Thursday has removed large parts of the UK we remain in it for now but only just

Between 00:05 Thu 1st and 23:55 Thu 1st

Further snow showers are expected on Thursday, accompanied by very low temperatures. There is the possibility of travel delays on roads, stranding some vehicles and passengers, and delays or cancellations to rail and air travel. Some rural communities could become or remain cut off. Power cuts may occur and other services, such as mobile phones, may be affected.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Snow showers will bring very variable snow cover, with the potential for a further 10-15 cm of snow in places where showers are most frequent, most likely over higher ground of northeast England and eastern Scotland, whilst nearby locations may see only small accumulations of 1-3 cm. Strong winds will likely lead to drifting of lying snow, as well as a severe wind chill.

be986ba4-0164-428f-b029-d90529df8015.thumb.png.784d030ed220edd1e998375de2d3634b.png

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-03-01

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Updated yellow snow warning for today...

Updated: 10:56 on Mon 26 Feb 2018 GMT

There is the potential for accumulations of 5 cm in places by late evening, but it's worth noting that nearby locations may see much less frequent showers and only small accumulations of 0-2 cm.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, garylaverick said:

6z Euro 4 goes further south for Tuesday's low, at odds with GFS, ECM, APERGE and WRF, so we'll see.

18022706_2606.thumb.gif.d7dc013ba7d2a63c19b9047c4cfb0f94.gif

Ties in well with the amber warning zone

Updated ICON 06z snow amounts

06_81_uksnowdepth.thumb.png.d59d3ffc2efb920fe697c29cef9e68db.png06_105_uksnowdepth.thumb.png.b9c2a5419adba28d74867d52b3d148ed.png06_120_uksnowdepth.thumb.png.b692c9f2002f4d7065e42219d57c3f37.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
12 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Updated warning for Thursday has removed large parts of the UK we remain in it for now but only just

Between 00:05 Thu 1st and 23:55 Thu 1st

Further snow showers are expected on Thursday, accompanied by very low temperatures. There is the possibility of travel delays on roads, stranding some vehicles and passengers, and delays or cancellations to rail and air travel. Some rural communities could become or remain cut off. Power cuts may occur and other services, such as mobile phones, may be affected.

Snow showers will bring very variable snow cover, with the potential for a further 10-15 cm of snow in places where showers are most frequent, most likely over higher ground of northeast England and eastern Scotland, whilst nearby locations may see only small accumulations of 1-3 cm. Strong winds will likely lead to drifting of lying snow, as well as a severe wind chill.

be986ba4-0164-428f-b029-d90529df8015.thumb.png.784d030ed220edd1e998375de2d3634b.png

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-03-01

That's most of thr northeast region to be fair well the true North East anyway so I'd be tempted so say not only just!

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, doctor32 said:

There is the potential for accumulations of 5 cm in places by late evening, but it's worth noting that nearby locations may see much less frequent showers and only small accumulations of 0-2 cm.

Hi Doc,

The Met Office mess around with their website so often it is hard to keep track of things.

Can you please tell me where I can see the update times applied to various warnings, they used to be very visible but for the life of me I can't see them, cheers,

SM

Posted
6 minutes ago, doctor32 said:

I still find it a tad unbelievable that somewhere could receive a decent amount of snow and somewhere down the road could just receive a dusting, my experience from easterliees are there be frequent showers quite widely, not saying it be continuous shower after shower all the time, there probably be some large gaps but I be shocked if anywhere on the east coast don't get a good covering of snow by Thursday.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, snowmackem said:

Hi Doc,

The Met Office mess around with their website so often it is hard to keep track of things.

Can you please tell me where I can see the update times applied to various warnings, they used to be very visible but for the life of me I can't see them, cheers,

SM

They don't issue update times online sadly best thing to use is the phone app they send notifications when new warnings are issued

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)
1 minute ago, snowmackem said:

Hi Doc,

SM

It is hard to be honest. Main website not showing updated warnings yet. i can only access the monday warning update on my phone via app as got an notification.

I can't see the one summer sun posted above, still shows that as one issued yesterday.

Best wait till they update them all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.
42 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Not long back from a walk to The Range didn't feel all that cold on the sunny side of Yarm Road

Cloud has rolled in with some powdery flakes falling

The wind is nithering though is it not?! It’s noticeable up here in Newcastle and we’ve had a few very heavy short lived snow showers giving temporary minor coverings this morning. I suspect these showers will give permanent coverings later today and overnight. 

But the wind wind chill here is very noteworthy....

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

They don't issue update times online sadly best thing to use is the phone app they send notifications when new warnings are issued

Thanks SS:)

Oh, and Doc:)

Edited by snowmackem