Snow?

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went to the Pennines in the end. Should have gone to Teesdale, but there wasn't time, so settled for Weardale. Couple of shots...  

Here you go... I ventured fully out. 27991638_1593131500722016_1995411088115499008_n.mp4

Amazing view from mine right now moon and an angry orange sky! 

Posted Images

Another ice warning issued

Between 16:00 Tue 22nd and 11:00 Wed 23rd

Ice will form on some surfaces later Tuesday and overnight into Wednesday, with further wintry showers at times.

What to expect

• Some injuries from slips and falls on icy surfaces
  • Ice on some roads, pavements and cycle paths

Further details

Ice will form in places later on Tuesday afternoon and overnight into Wednesday, especially where wintry showers leave surfaces wet. Further hail, sleet and snow showers are also likely at times. Accumulations of several centimetres are likely above 200 metres, mainly across western Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and northwest England. A small amount of settling snow (1 cm or less) is also possible at lower levels in a few places.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?region=ne&date=2019-01-22&regionType=area&id=2be467de-aaea-4da9-bd83-f3cfadabc446

Well this winter i think we all had high hopes with everyone talking about SSW  ( Snow Starved Westerlies ? ) but at least this morning it resembled something like winter.

Lets just hope something happens for our region next month. 

January has been remarkably dry with only 13mm here so far I guess some coastal spots are half that.
It will likely end up near or below average temperature.
Month average is on 4C about +0.5

Still below -3 here just now.

wx-20190123-092044.jpg

Fur Ice warning issued

• Darlington
  • Durham
  • Gateshead
  • Hartlepool
  • Middlesbrough
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
  • North Tyneside
  • Northumberland
  • Redcar and Cleveland
  • South Tyneside
  • Stockton-on-Tees
  • Sunderland

Between 18:00 Wed 23rd and 11:00 Thu 24th

Icy stretches are again likely on some surfaces on Wednesday night into Thursday morning

What to expect

• Ice on some untreated roads, pavements and cycle paths leading to longer journey times.
  • Some injuries from slips and falls on icy surfaces

Further details

Another cold night with a risk of ice, either where surfaces remain wet from daytime showers, or where further wintry showers fall onto frozen surfaces during the night and on Thursday morning. Showers will be a mix of rain, sleet and snow, with some slight accumulations possible, mainly above 200 metres.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2019-01-23&id=adb266aa-09d2-430b-8df7-68a12378538e

We seem to be in the worst place for snow on the 06z... Saturday night we don't get the cold needed for it to be snow until it's past us, whereas the rest of England gets it for hours. After that, W and S look far better than NE.

Saturday we get a very limited time with snow. From Leeds south it's much more. Tuesday's lot is coming from the NW - it will affect most of the country, but almost nothing for us. We never do well when it comes from that direction. 

Your right. Am hoping this image is close to the mark and we get a nice surprise. Or like you say pennies take it all.

E09A1EF6-90F6-4784-BA6D-9A9250F16E2F.jpeg

Met office app now says Heavy snow for my location at 2:00 now. 

Edited by NorthEastSnow
  • Like 1

Much the same here, I'm surprised how temperature  rapidly climbed from -4.5 to +1 as it came through - then dropped just below again for a while.
It's +1.5C again now though so suspect it will soon thaw.

curr24hourgraph-1.gif

Edited by 4wd
  • Like 1