Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
    8 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

Again i think Teesside inst best placed when these showers are coming in from a North Easterly direction.

Nothing of note here. 

To be fair it's not loads anyway matey = 2cm max?  Still didn't half come down here.  With the current synoptics on offer though I'd remain optimistic.  Anything can happen including surprise snowfalls etc.  Might have to wait a few days but at least we aren't looking at blow torch south westerlies lol 

Edited by P-M
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 5.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went to the Pennines in the end. Should have gone to Teesdale, but there wasn't time, so settled for Weardale. Couple of shots...  

Here you go... I ventured fully out. 27991638_1593131500722016_1995411088115499008_n.mp4

Amazing view from mine right now moon and an angry orange sky! 

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

The snow was certainly a nice surprise. After getting mainly sleet overnight, I wasn't expecting a whole lot today.

20190117_101141.thumb.jpg.5bcc765a4a70bafecef8b3db6c7d0a03.jpg

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Doesn't look like we'll see much over the next few hours we most of the showers dying out

bb87f6ae-97b9-4313-81a8-c1113a887bbc.png

Posted

Well,that was a nice surprise this morning and perfect conditions for the snow to settle.

Almost like a mini-trough which pushed inland.:oldgood:

hiradarzoomv42_pl.thumb.png.2025f42e3cd401a995f195095cc604df.png

Plenty to watch for in the coming weeks with the" Beast" lurking close by.:oldgrin:

gfs-1-222.thumb.png.c1e9799aa7d5f18232f3e0d00c0ba476.png

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Satellite image of this mornings snowfall shows how localized it was..!

1410622066_ScreenShot2019-01-17at13_31_17.thumb.png.87c2b4cc1f73dd57f9d0b7487c0e6f15.png

• Like 2
    Posted
    53 minutes ago, NL said:

Satellite image of this mornings snowfall shows how localized it was..!

1410622066_ScreenShot2019-01-17at13_31_17.thumb.png.87c2b4cc1f73dd57f9d0b7487c0e6f15.png

This also shows how green i was ?

Lets hope there is plenty more to be happy about soon and i dont miss out lol.

Posted

Plenty of showers out at sea including that nice long line of showers. 

What a shame the wind direction just isn't in our favour. 

** it would appear they are now slightly coming inland and its snowing a little here. There is a nice red blob just off the coast of amble that needs to come here lol.**

Edited by NorthEastSnow
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Could get very nippy tonight!!

Just looked outside and light snow again. Wahay

Edited by Northumberland snowman
    Posted

showers pushing in from the coast to my north.  Looks light but I'll take anything this winter lol

Posted
    11 minutes ago, Northumberland snowman said:

Could get very nippy tonight!!

Is there no snow at your side in those showers?  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
    3 minutes ago, P-M said:

Is there no snow at your side in those showers?  

Yeh There were some very light flaked but alas it has now stopped.

• Thanks 1
    Posted

Another small trough behind this morning's seems to be pushing those north sea showers inland a bit.

PPVA89.thumb.gif.28c13df5cd4dcb6d5bdb9afdf8ff9cb6.gif

Posted
    4 minutes ago, Cloud 10 said:

Another small trough behind this morning's seems to be pushing those north sea showers inland a bit.

PPVA89.thumb.gif.28c13df5cd4dcb6d5bdb9afdf8ff9cb6.gif

That's what I'm keeping an eye on.  Not come to much but it's something!

Edit: Some light flakes here but definitely nothing spectacular...

Edited by P-M
    Posted

Fizzled - models look good for now so let's see what happens on the ground.  I'd love a 2010 style easterly 

Posted
    5 minutes ago, P-M said:

Fizzled - models look good for now so let's see what happens on the ground.  I'd love a 2010 style easterly 

2010 was more a North East direction. 

Posted
    12 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

2010 was more a North East direction. 

I am sure it was both wasn't it?  I remember a massive snowfall in 2010 that come from the east.  I don't have the charts to check like.

But in any case NE or E I'd like that set up that was my point.

Edited by P-M
    Posted

Good to hear reports of snow in the east part of the region, after a winter preety much devoid of any snow so far.. alas we are only at the half way stage, and the charts are promising for further snow in the week ahead.

No snow here, but nice to see a dusting on the high fells. Tonight temps dropped a stone once the sun set - I note Shap saw 3 degree drop in an hour between 4 and 5pm, when temp was already -3.7 degrees!

Tomorrow will bring general snow to the fells, and we might see a temporary fall of wet stuff, even a slight cover, but the snowline looks like being around the 300 metre mark.

Tuesday next week might bring widespread significant snowfall - and no thaw thereafter! the best kind of snowfall.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    Posted

Amber level 3 cold weather alert issued for North East & North West England.

Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action

Issued at: 08:54 on Fri 18 Jan 2019

There is a 90% probability of severe cold weather between 0600 on Friday 18 Jan and 0900 on Wednesday 23 Jan in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

Cold for many, and remaining sufficiently cold across the northeast and northwest for a level 3 alert, with overnight frosts expected. There is also the potential for some hill snow, mainly Friday and Sunday, and perhaps briefly to lower levels in the north. However temperatures expected to be slightly less cold than recent days in the south, reducing chances of thresholds being reached here. Despite this, further cold weather is expected to return to these parts during the coming week. There is also the potential for a band of heavy rain and snow to move southeastwards across the country overnight Monday and early Tuesday. However confidence in the timing, and the extent of any snowfall remains very low. This alert is likely to be updated Monday morning.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Posted

Yellow Snow and Ice warning

• Durham
    • Northumberland

Between 13:00 Fri 18th and 23:59 Fri 18th

Hill snow could cause travel disruption across southern Scotland, northern England and the north Midlands on Friday afternoon and evening.

What to expect

Some roads and railways likely to be affected with longer journey times by road, bus and train services

Further details

A band of rain, sleet and snow will move slowly eastwards across England and southern Scotland during Friday. There remains uncertainty in the extent of any snow, but there is the potential for 1-4 cm of snow to accumulate on some higher level routes, chiefly above 250 metres.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?region=ne&date=2019-01-18

Posted

Today will be the coldest daytime temp in Darlo to the back end of next week if the met office are right the coming days will see the temp creep up ever so slightly.

c7792e2f-f35e-4add-b8aa-2c740d746a33.thumb.png.f728a45c1a08ef36fab6451f326cbd5a.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
    2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Amber level 3 cold weather alert issued for North East & North West England.

Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action

Issued at: 08:54 on Fri 18 Jan 2019

There is a 90% probability of severe cold weather between 0600 on Friday 18 Jan and 0900 on Wednesday 23 Jan in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

Cold for many, and remaining sufficiently cold across the northeast and northwest for a level 3 alert, with overnight frosts expected. There is also the potential for some hill snow, mainly Friday and Sunday, and perhaps briefly to lower levels in the north. However temperatures expected to be slightly less cold than recent days in the south, reducing chances of thresholds being reached here. Despite this, further cold weather is expected to return to these parts during the coming week. There is also the potential for a band of heavy rain and snow to move southeastwards across the country overnight Monday and early Tuesday. However confidence in the timing, and the extent of any snowfall remains very low. This alert is likely to be updated Monday morning.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

I don't see anything over the next 5 days that warrants that warning tbh 

Posted
    1 minute ago, Boro Snow said:

I don't see anything over the next 5 days that warrants that warning tbh 

The met office don't either 4c to 5c by day and around -1c overnight