Jump to content

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went to the Pennines in the end. Should have gone to Teesdale, but there wasn't time, so settled for Weardale. Couple of shots...  

Here you go... I ventured fully out. 27991638_1593131500722016_1995411088115499008_n.mp4

Have to say the SE thread better than any soap opera. They're attacking each other cos some have snizzle and some dont, the place is in melt down.  Thank God for regionals and happy to see that w

Posted Images

Just now, Northumberland snowman said:

BBC reckon heavy snow showers here from 1900. Can't see where they will come from looking at the radar.

Screenshot_20180301-174156.png

Im not that far from you as the crow flies so would be similar for my location but like you I'm not sure how at the minute lol We need that LP system to go west quickly.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, **!!** said:

Hi, Ive been watching these forums all day and thought I'd ask the question, please note I'm new to all this weather forecasting.

Is there a chance that Storm Emma could push further North? It has already tracked further east than predicted.

The fact that Storm Emma is further East is the storm does pivot west like forecast could we see the tail of the storm?

Not sure tbh but looking at the radar the front appears to be stalling 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tanden Sparkster said:

Weather&Radar app seems happy to see precip extend from the south to our region this evening, hmmm

What radar and app is that?  And do you mean extend north or south?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The cold extending to the middle of next week... Expect this to continue being extended, no real warm up on the cards.

Wish i lived near consett sometimes.Screenshot_20180301-184338.thumb.png.41d9b9fad32fc438393da5912fb16ce1.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, doctor32 said:

The cold extending to the middle of next week... Expect this to continue being extended, no real warm up on the cards.

Wish i lived near consett sometimes.Screenshot_20180301-184338.thumb.png.41d9b9fad32fc438393da5912fb16ce1.png

Gav will be furious with this post. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The wind has really picked up in the last 20 mins and my letter box is going like the clappers it only does that with a north or north east wind strange 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen the Look North weather.  On the now very poor maps without precipitation intensity, there are quite a lot of snow showers passing over the region through the night.   Either there is something that is going to cause an increase in convection or they are wrong. Nothing on the radar

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This has basically been the Michael Owen of cold spells for a lot of Newcastle - promises a lot, but doesn't really deliver the goods. 

Edited by Snooow
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Significantly it's 3.6C warmer than this time yesterday (still -1.5C though)
Village here is cut off by drifts on all roads out.
Wind is easing slowly but still big gusts.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the regional update is naff saying scattered showers but this is the amber warning for our region:

Frequent and often heavy snow showers are expected to continue through Thursday and overnight into Friday morning with further significant accumulations likely.

Based on that Meto must think there's a substantial risk of frequent heavy showers otherwise they'd have removed it?  Saying that there's time for them to do that I suppose but by now I'd have thought they would have.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, P-M said:

I know the regional update is naff saying scattered showers but this is the amber warning for our region:

Frequent and often heavy snow showers are expected to continue through Thursday and overnight into Friday morning with further significant accumulations likely.

Based on that Meto must think there's a substantial risk of frequent heavy showers otherwise they'd have removed it?  Saying that there's time for them to do that I suppose but by now I'd have thought they would have.

i am sure it mentions that it will be the hills of northern england most affected and also states northern england showers will ease away later.

which is kinda what has happened

Think it is mainly cause of drifting of lying snow which is still causing serious conditions for parts of the north east

Link to post
Share on other sites

What a journey home, diversions, road closures, slow moving buses on snow covered hills, grrr.

And drifts not far off the height of the car, driveway under nearly 2ft. Defo best I can remember in my 44 years ?

P80301-185502.jpg

P80301-185440.jpg

P80301-190735.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, doctor32 said:

i am sure it mentions that it will be the hills of northern england most affected and also states northern england showers will ease away later.

which is kinda what has happened

Think it is mainly cause of drifting of lying snow which is still causing serious conditions for parts of the north east

it mentions them but not exclusively and if that was the case the amber warning wouldn't extend to us lower down...

 

Snow showers will bring variable snow cover, but parts of northern England and Scotland are expected to see the most frequent snow showers. During this time, a further 5-10 cm of snow is expected quite widely. Where showers become organised though, most likely across Scotland and over the hills of northern England, some places are likely to have an additional 15-25 cm of snow. Strong winds will continue to lead to drifting of snow, and severe wind chill, while lightning could be an additional hazard, particularly near coasts. Although snow showers across northern England will ease somewhat with time, continued blowing and drifting of lying snow is likely. This warning has been updated to extend the validity period into Friday morning as well as to extend the area further south across more of northern England.

Edited by P-M
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, geordiekev said:

What a journey home, diversions, road closures, slow moving buses on snow covered hills, grrr.

And drifts not far off the height of the car, driveway under nearly 2ft. Defo best I can remember in my 44 years ?

P80301-185502.jpg

P80301-185440.jpg

P80301-190735.jpg

Wow, must say even here on some of the back roads around aycliffe and bishop auckland there some huge drifts from fields onto roads.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...