Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Paul

30 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Surely we would be looking at school/work closures if this came off? It just carries on upgrading, unbelievable!

There is a 100% chance there will be school closures in my opinion. Maybe schools sending students home early when snow doesn't stop during the day. Burst pipes an issue. The Eastern half of the country will grind to a halt by Friday IF the models have this nailed. Let's see what the 18z GFS has to say.

I'm at 6th Form and my school never closes. Not even in 2010. However, I doubt I'll be at school every day next week. Few options 1) Exceptional snowfall, which could eclipse 2010, forces them to close. 2) Teachers will be snowed in. They'll be forced to close. 3) Burst pipe. Fair chance with the severe cold. 4) If none of those occur, our Mercedes Benz can barely move in half a cm. With half a foot in won't leave the driveway. Chaos next week lads, hopefully. Enjoy it.

Edited by ZK099

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not warmth

I truly think this will turn into some really awful conditions. I know we can't stop it coming, but, some places will shut down.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

I don't know if anyone knows how many days of snowfall we had in 2010. I remember it sticking around for a while mainly due to the cold. But current charts have us under snowfall on a daily basis throughout nearly 16 days plus days that aren't even on the charts yet I expect.

If 2010 was 1 in 100 event, I don't know what the global warming crew (Meto) will title this event.

S80222-22264056.jpg

S80222-22265420.jpg

S80222-22270910.jpg

S80222-22272375.jpg

S80222-22292433.jpg

Edited by geordiekev
Forgot Mondays start of epicness above ?

Posted

The picket line is going to be tough next week!... and possibly a waste of time too, as no one will be able to get to the uni!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: not fussed

Sunderland often seems to miss out on the more extreme weather (well to my perspective) ...albeit  I reckon that'll change over the next couple of weeks 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mercury Rising said:

Sunderland often seems to miss out on the more extreme weather (well to my perspective) ...albeit  I reckon that'll change over the next couple of weeks 

I think you'll be fine this time, 10 day accumulation from  12z ECM

S80222-22373142.jpg

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, geordiekev said:

I think you'll be fine this time, 10 day accumulation from  12z ECM

S80222-22373142.jpg

I'll see that and raise you the GFS 18z!

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/royaume-uni/accumulation-precipitations/234h.htm

Add a bit on for more convection and parts near to here are looking at a metre of snow! Insane.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, NickR said:

I'll see that and raise you the GFS 18z!

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/royaume-uni/accumulation-precipitations/234h.htm

Add a bit on for more convection and parts near to here are looking at a metre of snow! Insane.

Yeah, it really is getting insane. There's one thing thinking a 2 or 3 week cold event was a possibility but now it seems inevitable and TV forecasts don't have the cahoonas to say anything except cold and dry, oh forgive me they've been touting 'a chance of snow' on todays beeb broadcast. 

Be afraid, be very afraid ?

Edited by geordiekev

Posted
Just now, geordiekev said:

Yeah, it really is getting insane. There's one thing thinking a 2 or 3 week cold event was a possibility but now it seems inevitable and TV forecasts don't have the cahoonas to say anything except cold and dry, oh forgive me they've been touting 'a chance of snow today.

Be afraid, be very afraid ?

Roofs will collapse in under the weight of the snow. Even in 2010 I had to clear the lean-to and was concerned for the main house roof.

Fantastic though the whole thing may be, my home-owner side may start to get a bit twitchy! (MUST drain the outside tap pipe this weekend!)

Posted

I thought by this time in the week I would be coming in here to say what happened to the mini ice age we were expecting on Monday..... it now looks even worse than Monday’s charts, what is going on.

if it looks this extreme how come the news isn’t warning people. 

Yes we all want snow and lots of it but this just looks insaine and troublesome.:cold:

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, NickR said:

Roofs will collapse in under the weight of the snow. Even in 2010 I had to clear the lean-to and was concerned for the main house roof.

Fantastic though the whole thing may be, my home-owner side may start to get a bit twitchy! (MUST drain the outside tap pipe this weekend!)

Yes your roof might come in very handy?

S80222-22560517.jpg

Edited by geordiekev

Posted
5 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Here is one for the archives

5a8f49fe9805b_82A60E6D-6880-4546-A597-349D8DF2E1F5.png.0c5158736601a44bac84d18a395cd16b2.thumb.png.50bd40e69db7ff69f6977ab937bfe7cc.png

If only the charts could factor in snowdrifts. Powdery snow in brisk easterly winds will be horrendous on some roads where there are gaps in hedgerows. Caught me out on a snow free road once which became actually blocked due to blowing snow. Ended up rescuing some women in a Clio who was determined to get through it. She didn't, she ended up sliding sideways into hedgerows which I saw in rear mirror after doing sensible u turn, so had to go her aid and got absolutely soaked.

Posted

GFS showing it easing well into FI. We might actually be pleased by then but with cool surface conditions and so much snowbound I wouldn't expect it to warm up that quick. Enjoy and stay safe, do the sensible thing and start warning people. It's our duty and the main reason we suffer so much, isn't it ?

S80222-22292433.jpg

S80222-22264056.jpg

S80222-22265420.jpg

S80222-22270910.jpg

S80222-22272375.jpg

S80222-22403332.jpg

S80222-23091955.jpg

S80222-23094770.jpg

S80222-23100541.jpg

S80222-23101286.jpg

Edited by geordiekev

Posted

I'm wondering whether it's worth stocking up. I'm literally 500 yards from a 24 hr Tesco, so seems doubtful, aside from having batteries, torches, and candles. Got a bag of rock salt somewhere. New sledge might be useful. One of my two broke on observatory hill a couple of months back.

Posted
7 minutes ago, NickR said:

I'm wondering whether it's worth stocking up. I'm literally 500 yards from a 24 hr Tesco, so seems doubtful, aside from having batteries, torches, and candles. Got a bag of rock salt somewhere. New sledge might be useful. One of my two broke on observatory hill a couple of months back.

If the roads become unusable for a while then Tesco will eventually run out of fresh supplies - I'd say put a few extra items in the cupboard and freezer 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, NickR said:

As they say in the scouts, be prepared for all eventualities. Power cuts, shops not getting deliveries, Big Ben stopping chiming ?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Mercury Rising said:

If the roads become unusable for a while then Tesco will eventually run out of fresh supplies - I'd say put a few extra items in the cupboard and freezer 

Freezer pretty full, but point taken. I guess being so close, if supplies start to dwindle, I'm in a better location than most just to nip in and grab stuff. Also, I'll take any excuse to 'have to' trudge out through a blizzard and a foot of lying snow at 2am!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, geordiekev said:

As they say in the scouts, be prepared for all eventualities. Power cuts, shops not getting deliveries, Big Ben stopping chiming ?

True enough! I've got a couple of big bottles of water, candles galore it turns out, and wind-up torches. Still got 4  crumbles in the freezer from the Autumn foraging too! :-D

Edited by NickR

Posted
4 minutes ago, NickR said:

True enough! I've got a couple of big bottles of water, candles galore it turns out, and wind-up torches. Still got 4  crumbles in the freezer from the Autumn foraging too! :-D

I s'pose the other thing to consider if the weather event is as disruptive as some of the forecasters suggest, then power outages from the extra gas/electric demand could be a possibility  - so put more food in the cupboard (and don't open the freezer)maybe the way forward  :D

Posted
Just now, NickR said:

True enough! I've got a couple of big bottles of water, candles galore it turns out, and wind-up torches. Still got crumbles in the freezer from the Autumn foraging too! :-D

I've just order a third snow shovel as back up, 8 bags of rock salt, candles galore, spare phone data. Bluetooth speakers are good for when there's no broadband or power to play music from phone etc. I'm excited but have been a tad worried for a few days about the transport network for getting to work as my job doesn't take to kindly to no shows, not that many employers do anyway.

Posted
13 minutes ago, geordiekev said:

I've just order a third snow shovel as back up, 8 bags of rock salt, candles galore, spare phone data. Bluetooth speakers are good for when there's no broadband or power to play music from phone etc. I'm excited but have been a tad worried for a few days about the transport network for getting to work as my job doesn't take to kindly to no shows, not that many employers do anyway.

Well, I'm on strike anyway!

Only got one snow shovel, so might order another one. Shops didn't seem to have any when I looked today.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

My job consists of driving life saving NHS supplies. Around North East Yorkshire. I haven't been advised by any authority about snow.

But in the last few minutes the BBC news have now issued a very serious stark warning about the weather for next week .