Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Paul

Posted

Quite disappointing with the shower activity here but i predicted the North to do better.

Are we due more showers through the morning as it looks very quiet at the moment. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
1 minute ago, NorthEastSnow said:

Quite disappointing with the shower activity here but i predicted the North to do better.

Are we due more showers through the morning as it looks very quiet at the moment. 

According to BBC weather, the main activity is going to be concentrated down your way.  However.  The only thing I believe is the radar.

Just look as those streamers forming

image.thumb.png.78146c6bbed93011dc5bfaba500dcf4b.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, Freezing-Point said:

According to BBC weather, the main activity is going to be concentrated down your way.  However.  The only thing I believe is the radar.

That does look very good but it don't look on course for here does it? 

Posted
3 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

This afternoon/evening we should see the most but even Saturday you wouldn’t rule showers out

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
10 minutes ago, Freezing-Point said:

I know mainly for the north of the region at the moment (missing me) but nice to see some this morning.  NS looks quiet for Wearside and Durham once these pass through but as we know the NS can easily spark more showers.  Dropped another 1+cm in that lat shower so happy.  Now to get some work done!

Is the wind direction supposed to change again?

Blue skies beginning to show now @Summer Sun - you can stop the sun-dance now it's worked lol 

Edited by P-M

Posted
13 minutes ago, P-M said:

I know mainly for the north of the region at the moment (missing me) but nice to see some this morning.  NS looks quiet for Wearside and Durham once these pass through but as we know the NS can easily spark more showers.  Dropped another 1+cm in that lat shower so happy.  Now to get some work done!

Blue skies beginning to show now @Summer Sun - you can stop the sun-dance now it's worked lol 

The wind is changing gradually to a Northerly - So the showers will hit just down the costal strip later

Posted
1 minute ago, Freezing-Point said:

The wind is changing gradually to a Northerly - So the showers will hit just down the costal strip later

So how will Boro and the south of the region do in that?  I didn't think they did well in a Northerly?  I can do well in one but prefer NE / E

Edited by P-M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
12 minutes ago, P-M said:

Bit of cloud down here some local folk think it's about to snow again 'as the sky looks full of it'

Posted
1 minute ago, P-M said:

So how will Boro and the south of the region do in that?  I didn't think they did well in a Northerly?  I can do well in one but prefer NE / E

Not very good lol. 

Going off the mod thread they all seem to think winter is over blah blah.... if this is indeed true i hope tonight drivers some fun for us all. 

Its not quite that time yet in fact we have a long way to go but the saying .... Bring on some....S might be said sooner rather than later 

Posted
14 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Bit of cloud down here some local folk think it's about to snow again 'as the sky looks full of it'

Looking at XC Weather I can't see a northerly wind direction setting up?  The winds which steer the showers onto land remains E/NE erly throughout today.

Edited by P-M

Posted
8 minutes ago, P-M said:

Looking at XC Weather I can't see a northerly wind direction setting up?  The winds which steer the showers onto land remains E/NE erly throughout today.

It veers northerly more tomorrow 

• Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, P-M said:

Winds turn more of a northerly through the night tonight as the high pushes in from west. 

Currently situation here is DRIP DRIP lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Gap between the to bands of showers will decrease, the area of showers over yorkshire and out in the north sea are slowly building and will eventually reach more southern parts of the region later.

• Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, NorthEastSnow said:

Winds turn more of a northerly through the night tonight as the high pushes in from west. 

Currently situation here is DRIP DRIP lol.

I’m hinging my hopes on a covering by morning. An inch would be lovely 

Posted
Just now, Matthew. said:

I’m hinging my hopes on a covering by morning. An inch would be lovely 

We just need the sun to go down asap and the showers to be better than last night and we might be in with a chance lol. 

I don't class it as a good snow day if i can still see grass 

Posted

IMAG1001.thumb.jpg.3b91943db824749631a179cf27ed7c7f.jpgIMAG1002.thumb.jpg.a3726ad128417e57ace2c45c732bfd3b.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Well did a bit work and then checked the radar and as Doctor says showers pepping up nicely again.  May take an hour or so to reach us on the east coast but still lots to play for.  Strange as it's not really melting here either - still a good couple CM down and remained that way for now.

Edit: can see a fair number of radar returns are showing sleet but as is the case in these setups nowcasting is needed to confirm the conditions on the ground.

Edited by P-M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

i would rather the showers stay away till later its starting to get Marginal now, temp 1.5c dp -0.1c

Posted
  • Location: Jesmond, Newcastle Upon Tyne; 60m asl; and Beadnell, Northumberland 4m asl.
  • Location: Jesmond, Newcastle Upon Tyne; 60m asl; and Beadnell, Northumberland 4m asl.

Set off to drive to Bamburgh this morning from Newcastle decided to turn round at Stannington as conditions were not good - heavy snow and almost down to one lane - spoke to my friend who I was meant to meet who was driving back to Durham said between Beadnell and A1 number of cars in ditch, and A1 from Ellingham down to Felton was down to one lane where dual carriageway. Good covering in Newcastle but showers seem to be passing to the north at the moment

• Thanks 1

Posted

Temp rising quite quickly at the moment with some sunny interludes

Met office forecasting a high of 3c from today to Sunday

Posted
12 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

i would rather the showers stay away till later its starting to get Marginal now, temp 1.5c dp -0.1c

Yes a thaw starting here now.

Hopefully tonight we get more snow showers than last night.

• Like 1

Posted

Spoke too soon...drip...drip...drip....

Going to take a few hours off the radar and weather until this afternoon, looks good for later perhaps.

Posted

Morpeth already had 2" from last night and has been under a streamer for a while.  Still under it.   That area of Northumberland seems to be a sweet spot for streamers.  In March last year they got one and had 3 times snow depth of me and in 2010 they had over 2ft of snow just north of Morpeth due to streamers.

Posted

Snow and ice warning issued for Northumberland only

Between 00:00 Mon 4th and 14:00 Mon 4th

Snow and Ice will affect the Monday morning commute across parts of Scotland.

What to expect

• Some roads and railways likely to be affected with longer journey times by road, bus and train services
  • Some injuries from slips and falls on icy surfaces
  • Probably some ice on some untreated roads, pavements and cycle paths

Further details

A band of rain will readily turn to snow as it pushes east across parts of Scotland and northern England. Temporary accumulations of a few cms are likely at low levels, with higher ground (above about 150 metres) possibly seeing 3-6 cm, locally more. Ice will be an additional hazard. Snow should become lighter and more patchy before dying out by early Monday afternoon.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?region=ne&date=2019-02-04&regionType=area