Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Paul

Posted

2.2C here this morning and has been over 30mm the past 24 hours.
There must be some slushy cover higher up but hard to see much at the moment it's so gloomy.

• Like 1

Posted

First wintry feeling day. Awoke to an air frost, and snow on the fells about 500 metres. Temperatures struggled to climb all day as a cloak of cloud invaded. It had that raw bleak mid winter feel to things.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Teesside pollution !!! utter nonsense, but yep agree a horrible dismal depressing day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Much better today now we've lost that horrible grey muck from the north sea the sky is blue once more and the sunshine has reappeared 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Going to be a cold one out there tonight, -2/-3 quite widely lower in the countryside, Temp already down too 4.1c 

Posted

Temp currently -0.1c

Posted

Another cold night currently 0c with a nice frost, a few milder days incoming and quite stormy and wet before hopefully the winds turn into the east with possible snow showers on the east coast 

Posted

Wind warning area must have shrunk for tomorrow as we aren't covered anymore.
It was borderline anyway with gusts about 40mph which is pretty much a typical winter day here.

Posted

Nice frosty morning today another frost developing tonight currently 1.2c 

Posted

A cold few days ahead for this part of the UK, especially in the NE who will hold onto colder air tomorrow and Wednesday more so than Cumbria, but come Thursday and Friday, maxes will struggle to make much more than 3 degrees I suspect, lower in some spots with lows around freezing or a bit below - very seasonal.

I'm sticking my neck out and say most of the region will see some snow over the weekend - when and how much is the question, but away from the far west, conditions look like being on the right side of marginal. However, I'm not a fan of snow events from the west which turn to rain, and it is all washed away. I'm hopeful for a cover at least.

I would love to be taken back to this time in 2009 and the promise of lots of snow and cold weather to come.. recent run up to christmas periods have been absolutely dire for snow and cold weather since 2010, terrible..

• Like 1

Posted

2009 is my favourite winter to date, it snowed here Xmas eve and Xmas day with over a foot of snow, magical imo, 2010 was cold but the snow on the ground was from a few days before 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

2009 is my favourite winter to date, it snowed here Xmas eve and Xmas day with over a foot of snow, magical imo, 2010 was cold but the snow on the ground was from a few days before 

You were lucky to see snow on both those days - we had about 6 / 7 level inch cover on the ground, and temps didn't get above freezing on both days, but no snow. Boxing Day brought a thaw of sorts, but the cold dug in on the 27th. 2010 conversely was a white christmas here, we had a surprise 1 and half light snowfall late morning - perfect timing. Temps below freezing, yet only a slight cover on the ground, we didn't do well in Dec 2010 for snowfall. Boxing Day was raw with further snow showers. A snowfall morning of 27 Dec then a thaw - snow all gone by 29th.

2009 overall a much better christmas week (24-31 Dec). Also enjoyed 2008, the cold set in on Boxing Day though, christmas day was average, however, the following days brought fog and frost.

2000 also a good one, the cold arrived on christmas eve, christmas day was dry and cold, Boxing Day turned very cold and icy, we had a 5 inch snowfall overnight 27/28 - followed by three ice days. Snowball fights in new snow on New Years Eve!

The best was 1995 though, very cold on christmas eve with snow showers, christmas day I think brought a rogue snow shower, we had a 7 day run of ice days, low of -15 degrees or below I think. 

1996 also very good - cold throughout the christmas week, hard frosts, freezing days and snow on the 27th, heavy snow showers on New Years Eve blizzard conditions.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted

I think 2003 was a close one I woke up to a few frozen snowflakes on my shed roof but barnard castle had a white Christmas only 15 miles to my west,  

Posted
1 hour ago, Boro Snow said:

I remember 09 well it started early evening and in under an hour we had a good covering on the road after a clearance during the day from traffic

Posted
18 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Doesn't make it over the pennines looking at that 

Posted
1 minute ago, Boro Snow said:

Doesn't make it over the pennines looking at that 

I think it'll be the second band of rain that makes it over the question by then will be what the temp will be

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny

Looks good for a spell of snow inland for you guys . Doubt we will get anything on the coast 

Posted

2-5cm low ground, happy with that