Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Just made it home, looks to be an inch of powdery and grainy snow fell at home overnight, whereas just left 4 inches of thick fluffy snow in Ruthin, North Wales which looked impressive in the valleys and the Yorkshire Dales were quite magical to drive through after deciding to avoid the m62. Was surprised how little there was coming East along from Penrith, although the a66 was closed, but no surprise there.

P80318-104302.jpg

P80318-111333.jpg

P80318-111326.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Light snow in darlo sticking on impact too, the wind has certainly picked up in the last half an hour 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Snow getting a bit heavier now 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Afternoon met office update

This Evening and Tonight:

A rather cloudy night is expected with most areas becoming dry and easterly winds continuing to slowly decrease. A sharp frost will affect most parts. Minimum temperature -4 °C.

Monday:

Monday a little brighter and although mostly dry, a few wintry showers possible in the east later. Daytime thaw of lying snow across lower ground. Further less severe frost overnight. Maximum temperature 5 °C.

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

Tuesday similar to Monday, but less cold with continued thaw of lying snow. Breezier and milder on Wednesday and Thursday with some rain in places, but also some drier periods.

Posted

I made it to Manchester and back.

Seems that many parts around there and now down south have had the big events this time rather than us.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, NickR said:

I made it to Manchester and back.

Seems that many parts around there and now down south have had the big events this time rather than us.

Looks like parts of the south are getting unforecast snow right now as well wasn't picked up by the met or the models

Posted

Surprised at the current temp been 1.1c also I know we haven't seen any sun today but the front garden which doesn't see any Sun this time of the year we have 1cm at best with snow cover the back garden which does see the Sun has 2 inches all very strange, very light snow falling currently also :cc_confused:

Posted

Snow flurries here with less wind.
It's still freezing at -0.2 but that's the highest all day.
I see a lot of places are now just above.
As the wind from cold source drops away, the North Sea 'warmth' has more effect on the air coming inland.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Day 23 of this season of lying snow and suspect the last, feels nice out there in the sun, 133 pages since the middle of Feb for this thread is incredible, 

• Like 1

Posted

Ice warning issued

Between 19:00 Mon 19th and 09:00 Tue 20th

Ice is likely to form on some untreated roads, pavements and cycle paths. This increases the risk of accidents, as well as injuries from slips and falls.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

After a clear start in many areas with the temperature falling below freezing through Monday evening, it will turn cloudier from the north, with the possibility of some wintry showers in places. The temperature may come back above freezing in some places for a time, but will fall below again where the cloud breaks. Therefore, ice is likely to form where untreated roads, pavements and cycle paths are left wet after snow melts during the day, or partly melted snow refreezes, and where wintry showers occur overnight.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-03-19

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
2 hours ago, Boro Snow said:

Day 23 of this season of lying snow and suspect the last, feels nice out there in the sun, 133 pages since the middle of Feb for this thread is incredible, 

A Northerly of sorts has now been forecasted on many runs since Thursday for the end of the month into April.5aafa061b7e97_ScreenShot2018-03-19at11_30_07.thumb.png.b35ead833c736b60b738f795d45c3b03.png

Latest GFS 06z even throws in a Nor'easterly into the far reaches of Fantasy Land..

5aafa07f6b6af_ScreenShot2018-03-19at11_30_35.thumb.png.8d006243a49f0b68e4127c428d21f911.png

I really hope this current cold spell is the last but I think any meaningful warmth is still a long way off..!!

Posted

Still a bitter wind but a rapid thaw has set in this morning still snow patches of snow where it drifted the most

Posted
29 minutes ago, NL said:

A Northerly of sorts has now been forecasted on many runs since Thursday for the end of the month into April.5aafa061b7e97_ScreenShot2018-03-19at11_30_07.thumb.png.b35ead833c736b60b738f795d45c3b03.png

Latest GFS 06z even throws in a Nor'easterly into the far reaches of Fantasy Land..

5aafa07f6b6af_ScreenShot2018-03-19at11_30_35.thumb.png.8d006243a49f0b68e4127c428d21f911.png

I really hope this current cold spell is the last but I think any meaningful warmth is still a long way off..!!

Yeah the GFS has been very consistent since Thursday about a Northerly over Easter we shall see, I suspect it will get watered down a bit if it verifies, 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Thaw pretty much everywhere today, i am up gateshead way at work and very little snow here compared to home.

With regards to weather going forward although a milder week ahead it is nothing to write home about... With average at best but after current cold weather it will be a noticble change.

I am away in lakes easter weekend so was kinda hoping for some spring warmth to be honest.

Main thing is a good dry spell next few days to dry things out.

Posted
22 minutes ago, doctor32 said:

Thaw pretty much everywhere today, i am up gateshead way at work and very little snow here compared to home.

With regards to weather going forward although a milder week ahead it is nothing to write home about... With average at best but after current cold weather it will be a noticble change.

I am away in lakes easter weekend so was kinda hoping for some spring warmth to be honest.

Main thing is a good dry spell next few days to dry things out.

We were planning on camping in the south lakes first week in April, not sure its going to happen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

It actually felt pretty warm in the sun earlier today, it's clouded over now but most of the snow has gone. We are camping the 10th April so beast 3 can bugger off and come back in December!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny

Yep like everyone else ready for some warmth now . Was hoping for a BBQ at Easter lol :oops:

Posted

Cluster of wintry showers heading in from the north sea currently.

Nothing heavy.

Posted
1 minute ago, doctor32 said:

Nothing heavy.

Nothing Doc, My daughter is at Gateshead at the minute and she said there's very light precipitation there, but she can't tell whether its very fine snow or drizzle its that light.Looking like Teesside might see something a bit heavier, can't guarantee that its snow though.

5aafef81bd6df_ScreenShot2018-03-19at17_04_49.thumb.png.6d7914bd2737025591e9c67703e7446f.png

The ppn type on the radar shows sleet close to the coast

.5aafef87420bf_ScreenShot2018-03-19at17_08_24.thumb.png.ac4d4b649ef79f5f7105e18af80d0c7b.png

Posted
25 minutes ago, doctor32 said:

Nothing heavy.

Just had one here didn't last long or amount to anything got a bit gusty when it arrived as well

Posted

Just had a light hail shower here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny

The charts this evening pointing towards an artic shot come Easter . I really could do with some warmth hopefully the charts change 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

The thaw has taken place, looking forward to some decent spring weather I hope although the GFS seems to think it's still winter. Need our old enemy the azores high to get its act together. Then bugger off again mid November