Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Aye I wish I had counted how many frosts we have had this Autumn/Winter it seems a lot more than usual

Posted

36 air frost here between 1 December and 1 March
This is actually on the low side, it's easier to look at whole years in my weather station record rather than winter periods, 2010 had 79, 2011 only 34

You can look at it here (bottom right)
change the year in URL 2010 is the first complete year
http://weather.westerdale.info/climatedatayearout2010.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Not a lot going on weather wise in our region. The transition from winter to spring under way with some flip flopping from mild and old in the coming weeks.

Chance of some cold and snowy weather still on the table as we close out march, instead of looking east i would say look north/north east for a cold shot.

Will be winters last bite though.

Roll on spring.

Edited by doctor32

Posted

The risk of a cold 2 or 3 days next weekend seems to be diminishing.
Next week doesn't look too bad for the NE but on the cool side, patchy rain some days.
Something we are missing to dry things up is more wind, even though it's hardly pleasant, drying winds are supposed to be a feature of March.
The frost and melting snow seem to have made fields particularly swampy just now.

Posted
1 hour ago, 4wd said:

The risk of a cold 2 or 3 days next weekend seems to be diminishing.
Next week doesn't look too bad for the NE but on the cool side, patchy rain some days.
Something we are missing to dry things up is more wind, even though it's hardly pleasant, drying winds are supposed to be a feature of March.
The frost and melting snow seem to have made fields particularly swampy just now.

The cold theme continues in latest gefs towards months end.

More cluster of colder options too. 

Fields are sodden around here too, and with more rain tomorrow and the end of the week no signs of a real dry up anytime soon.

graphe3_1000___-1.41509433962_54.6963562753_.thumb.gif.91d9d8488c3bfc8c8a0fafa80d817a96.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Yep I agree any cold will probably come from the north which is nothing unusual for this time of the year including April, but ive easily had my snow fix for this year so looking forward to watching the storm chasing in the USA on the internet now especially Michael Phelps (not the swimmer lol) I am hoping to go next year. Then over here with the Spanish plumes and the storms it brings which I must say we have done well up here the last few years. Then it's Autumn and the run up to winter starts again with Gav Partridge excellent winter updates which I believe start on the 2nd September :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

I must admit I'll be happy with some warmth and sunshine now, as much as I truly love snow and cold weather we've got our first camping trip next month and I'd like the ground to have dried up a bit before we go. I'm no Liz grylls, I like comfortable camping lol

• Like 1

Posted

Easter is early this year, but it would be nice if things were more spinglike by then.
The easterly forecast is back at the weekend again now but it's nothing like the end of Feb,
More from the SE, if the wind is not off the sea could be quite pleasant with HP not far away.

Posted
50 minutes ago, 4wd said:

Easter is early this year, but it would be nice if things were more spinglike by then.
The easterly forecast is back at the weekend again now but it's nothing like the end of Feb,
More from the SE, if the wind is not off the sea could be quite pleasant with HP not far away.

I remember you saying with regards to the last Beast it would be mainly dry with high pressure near by.... And look how that turned out lol.

Too far away to be guessing what weather will be like as we all know slight adjustments north of high make a big difference and with -10 or lower uppers snow will be likely.

Posted
4 hours ago, lizmartin1981 said:

I must admit I'll be happy with some warmth and sunshine now, as much as I truly love snow and cold weather we've got our first camping trip next month and I'd like the ground to have dried up a bit before we go. I'm no Liz grylls, I like comfortable camping lol

Yep same here we are camping in the first week of April in the south Lakes 

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Yep same here we are camping in the first week of April in the south Lakes 

We are off to Lazonby, near Penrith. We had an absolute monsoon one night  when we were there last August so I'm hoping it's better this time weather wise. At least i know the tent is waterproof after that! You've got to love British weather, constantly keeps you on your toes lol

• Like 1

Posted

Something beautiful and eerie about a foggy night 

Posted

So round 2 of the beast looking a cert to arrive during the weekend, just the finer detail of how cold, longtivity and snow amounts to iron out.

This mornings ECM shows the most potent version for our region, plenty of snow with strong easterly turning north easterly.

Gfs way further south but still cold.

Sunday ECM...

ECM1-144.thumb.gif.a0912eec31efa2f18264f8c15e1c5482.gif

ECU0-144.thumb.gif.90d2a2f668e810ad1f5088522df9c026.gif

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

A wet old day for the region

3d3f17a2-5fa4-4338-9dc8-ac0c01592f11.thumb.png.c8b45a650567a4e466899504036a59b4.png

Been a right miserable wet day indeed, never really let up... just the far north northumberland staying dry.

Roads have lots of spray and run off water from fields especially the country roads.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Wow, here’s me thinking we were done for winter. This one has come out from nowhere hasn’t it? Beast from the East part 2?

I wouldn't say come out of nowhere, has been picked up by models for a good week now in some form but only now are we getting better cross model agreement.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
34 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Wow, here’s me thinking we were done for winter. This one has come out from nowhere hasn’t it? Beast from the East part 2?

If GFS is right it won't last too long by the 20th temps are already heading back up

192-778UK.thumb.GIF.b1659b9616bedffc975d2b3a3d7eeb0a.GIF216-778UK.thumb.GIF.5bb96088da8f024e31d06e34c10ba2f9.GIF

18th & 19th the coldest days

144-778UK.thumb.GIF.18ea0a3b36dea0f55e22a8ce5ad2d250.GIF168-778UK.thumb.GIF.75ac20b9557f543595e6d263824fb047.GIF

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Looks like we may see the wintry showers as early as saturday with at least a 4 to 5 day cold shot from the east to begin with.

As was the case with the last beast a couple of weeks ago, it appeared to be drier up here with high pressure close by but as the event neared that soon changed with strong east winds and very unstable flow with disturbances passing through...

Think this very likely to happen again looking at the models for past 48 hours or so.

After the beast high pressure may become established over or close to the uk and if this moves west or north west to greenland then a north/north easterly could well prolong the cold a bit longer.

Time will tell as they say... Summer Sun, you may have to skip spring and start thinking about summer :crazy:

Posted

Beast from the East part II coming to lamp posts near you this weekend, for a possible 5 day run can't wait :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

I must admit, snow at the weekend when not having to drive to work will be a pleasure. 

Count me in ?

Edited by JP1972

Posted

I am meant to be going to york for the day on saturday (best wrap up warm)

No escaping the Beast now...

Plenty of snow on this evenings runs and i expect a few more upgrades to come :cold:

Posted

No doubt the whole country will act surprised and come to a shutdown again. I'll personally clear the snow at the kids' school and pick the teachers up ?

Posted

Today and tomorrow look to be the driest days of this week and also the mildest, temperatures around average.

If me manage some good sunny spells if may lift temps a little higher to make it feel a little spring like.

Then the trend to a more unsettled and cold theme begins thursday with more wet weather and strong wind developing.