Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Yep cm of fresh snow here too 

Posted

The bushes have drips on them now rather than fresh snow. What's falling is snow indeed, but the thaw is on.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Just plain old rain here now, enjoyed this cold spell but longing for some spring warmth now, wouldn't say no to a potent northerly though :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Yes we are heading to that horrible period of getting rid of the snow via a thaw, this time tomorrow morning i would expect a decent melt will have taken place.

Already melting now in Aycliffe.

This new week looking rather cloudy with periods of showers and rain, still chance of snow on higher ground and temps around average or just below.

Spring warmth looks to be little way off yet, wouldnt take much to get another cold blast but as suggested above a decent northerly blast would be better. Not seen a proper northerly for some time.

Hopefully easter may bring some spring like weather.

Edited by doctor32

Posted

Fresh snow overnight but think it's starting to melt today. 

Got a trip to Billingham later but not sure if I should go with the chance my car, instead of my daughter, ends up ice skating 

Edited by Cakie

Posted
18 hours ago, Freezing-Point said:

I have to say that this winter has been exceptional for the amount of snowfalls here, spread out from November to now March.  I have lost count.   None of them have been much depth here, with the maximum being 4" depth from Monday night.

The amount of snowfalls from westerly approaching fronts has to be a record here.  Normally we get nothing this side of the pennines, but I have been surprised about 5 times this winter

Also the amount of frosts must be up there with the most in the last 20 years.  

Not kept any of this data.  Does anyone have any? 

On 20/02/2018 at 07:09, Airedalejoe said:

Sorry 4wd but you're on your own! 

If the charts currently forecast are correct, I think we will get intense heavy snow showers and snow depths would be impressive!

The only thing missing from this winter is a severe spell, we've had more ice/frost than most winters I remember and 6+ light snow 'covers'. Because of what may be coming combined with how consistently on the cold side it's been so far could make this a stand out winter for me.

Fingers crossed!

Said the same thing almost 2 weeks ago in the build up to this now exceptional spell.

Without records but in my opinion this winter has seen the highest amount of frosts/ice in my memory, say 70's onwards. The winters with a severe 1 or 2 week spell such as 81/87/91/09/10 from memory, were just that with no great amount of frosty nights outside of the severe spells.

I've never needed to de ice the car as much!

Me and the lads have never had a winter with as many icy bike rides!

Day's with double figure temps have been very few and far between, I've known winters with barely any frost and weeks and weeks of double digit day's.

Unless my thermometer is wrong the general theme of below average temps has been going on since last June.

Surprised you only saw 4", luckily we saw around double that with canny drifting too!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The cloud bringing the light snow around 4am seems to have held us avoid a lot of Ice thankfully air temp is just above 1c and the dew point is around 0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Starting to light snow here again, surely this is the last as the band of ppn moves through in next couple of hours.

Still a slight thaw outside of snow that fell this morning

Posted

The less cold air from the south is slowly arriving any snow by late morning onwards will be confined to higher ground

b617306b-c75c-4ec5-9aff-50c096a2d501.thumb.png.ee18b29c4a7edf43bf1f600f643d3554.png

Posted

Wish the snow was this heavy all last week this is brilliant lol. 

This is 8/10 intensity just brilliant 

Edited by NorthEastSnow

Posted

Going to be touch and go here to the East of Durham. Reckon it might slip between us and the coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Snowing here again quite heavy too 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Heavy snow currently in Peterlee - large as cornflakes. Sticking to the cars, etc. I guess this will be turning to rain soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

A nice lovely scene in darlo but the thaw is on all icicles dripping profusely. Im quite pleased to be fair. This has been an excellent cold spell with the coldest 850's since the 80's but I am now firmly in spring mode and I want some sunshine.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny

Rain here , the mild air is already here and the melt is well and truly on the go :sorry::rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

I've lost count of how many days we've had snow falling this winter. As mentioned above, what has made this winter stand out is just how many snow events there have been. They've not been huge, aside from this week, but it's been far more frequent than in recent memory.

Posted

All change in the coming week whilst still a bit below normal it will be feeling a lot milder than the week just gone

856a098a-9ff5-4a6e-a6cb-2d8e53468f14.thumb.png.05b9daa3f586d4fabc304aa905665031.png

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Cakie said:

Fresh snow overnight but think it's starting to melt today. 

Got a trip to Billingham later but not sure if I should go with the chance my car, instead of my daughter, ends up ice skating 

Roads are fine in Billingham . Snow didn’t settle on roads this am

Posted

Roads weren't too bad but standing water will be a problem soon. Sleet showers turned to rain

some great icicles in Darlington unfortunately I can't upload any pictures 

Posted
1 minute ago, Cakie said:

Where's that NickR?

Gilesgate (Durham), about 45 mins ago. Nice way to end the spell.