Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Paul

Posted
22 minutes ago, Freezing-Point said:

I am heading up to Morpeth now.  Its where I grew up so want to see the size of the drifts they have.  Many roads have been blocked.  Will get pics

I'm thinking of heading up to the Pennines tomorrow with the kids. 

Likely to be the best drifts up there? Or should I head north of Newcastle?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Please take my advice, Mobile apps and hourly forecasts on weather sites in showery set ups are a waste of time.

If it says heavy snow between 6pm to 8pm like it has done for various locations past day of two... These are computer generated and will nor be accurate, impossible for even a forecaster to say there will be a heavy snow shower in boro at 9pm tonight.

Complete and utter tosh!!!

Any way, my garden tonight...IMAG0271.thumb.jpg.ed3c37598db5dd7d3db525cfb42cb473.jpg

Snow grains all day here and flipping freezing in that wind, still a feed of snow flurries down the east, mainly north of durham.

Posted
2 hours ago, Airedalejoe said:

Lol, I hope that you're right, it would be an indication that our climate is changing!

The chances of seeing what we've just seen in the next 3-5 years are almost nil.

So soon after '09 and '10 is a surprise. What you've just seen is exceptional, 2 day's of max temps of -3 and -4 with almost gale force winds and heavy snow showers? That's not normal UK climate.

Mmm never discount chance of severe cold any winter.. we are entering solar minimum and cold winters have often come in clusters, we could be entering a similar period to 08/09-12/13.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heatwaves and anything extreme

The good news is that following the SSW we got the high in the right place to give us an amazing few days of extreme winter weather. Now the SSW is still going to have a major impactover next few weeks, wouldn't it be great if it produced another high pressure that sets itself up to give us a southerly for Easter....anyone fancy 20c plus weather in next few weeks. Two extreme so close during March would even more memorable.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Afternoon update from the met office

This Evening and Tonight:

Remaining very cold overnight, with further scattered blustery snow showers moving in from the North Sea to give some further accumulations in places. Relative to the recent past winds will become less strong, with drifting of lying snow less prevalent. Minimum temperature -4 °C.

Saturday:

Less windy than of late, with snow flurries reducing in number and intensity. Some sunny intervals will be followed by intermittent, mostly light snow spreading northwards into the evening. Maximum temperature 1 °C.

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Less windy and less cold than of late, however there remains a risk of some further spells of rain and sleet, with snow mainly on hills, leading to icy stretches.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcwyht9w6#?date=2018-03-02

Posted
45 minutes ago, NickR said:

I'm thinking of heading up to the Pennines tomorrow with the kids. 

Likely to be the best drifts up there? Or should I head north of Newcastle?

If you do head north I can guarantee you amazing drifts even at low level areas.  Broomhill, Acklington, Warkworth to Alnmouth road unbelievable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

That was an interesting dog walk, got quite a shock when I was walking along to suddenly be up to my knees in 19 inches from a manageable 8. The dog decided it was best to slide on his belly, didn't fancy that myself. There was strange crackly noises coming from the snow as a thin layer must have formed on top which should stop much more drifting thankfully.

P80302-155930.jpg

P80302-155935.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Airedalejoe said:

The strong winds of yesterday has scoured the snow, meaning most roads and paths are clear, and the fells and fields have bankings of deep snow piled on lee slopes and against walls and hedges. I walked between Windermere and Ambleside via Troutbeck, very bleak in the stiff wind, lots of ice about, large icicles, some of the fast flowing streams have banks of ice as well, indicative of the freezing temperatures.

We've had a few snow flurries, but overall just a very grey cold winters day in Spring.. Wind is still very strong making it unpleasant. Another ice day as well - preety impressive to record 3 on the trot at this stage in the year. However, tomorrow will break the run, but still only looking at a max of 1 degree possibly 2 degrees, and under grey skies once again it will be miserable. Chance of some light snow as well from the feature to the south, but we will be in a 'rain shadow', however, may throw a surprise. Sunday also looks messy with a mix of cold sleety snowy rain. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
17 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Afternoon update from the met office

This Evening and Tonight:

Remaining very cold overnight, with further scattered blustery snow showers moving in from the North Sea to give some further accumulations in places. Relative to the recent past winds will become less strong, with drifting of lying snow less prevalent. Minimum temperature -4 °C.

Saturday:

Less windy than of late, with snow flurries reducing in number and intensity. Some sunny intervals will be followed by intermittent, mostly light snow spreading northwards into the evening. Maximum temperature 1 °C.

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Less windy and less cold than of late, however there remains a risk of some further spells of rain and sleet, with snow mainly on hills, leading to icy stretches.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcwyht9w6#?date=2018-03-02

No Snow Showers tonight not sure were that info is coming from do they look at the radar 

Posted

Some fields here are swept almost bare, minor roads still generally closed by big drifts.
Across the valley an elderly lady has been air-lifted to hospital after a fall, no road passable to that house at the moment.
Bizarrely the house next door another emergency with abdominal pains - she has got away in a Landrover ambulance.
Severe cold does stress everyone even if they aren't needing to go outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
14 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

No Snow Showers tonight not sure were that info is coming from do they look at the radar 

12z GFS shows the chance of some later on probably hit and miss though

6-574UK.GIF

9-574UK.GIF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Hopefully after the match then 

• Like 1

Posted

So, what's the reason for the lack of showers? We've still got a bitterly cold howling easterly wind crossing a relatively warm sea. What's changed since Monday/Tuesday evening? I'm not complaining as we've done very well out of this early this week. Just want to understand what key factor has killed off the showers the last two days ?. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers,cold winters with plenty of snow.

I thought we had a fair bit in Malton North Yorkshire,this was on the a68 on route to Slaley hall nr Hexham. Never seen anything like that before as we are only about 50 asl. ??????

IMG_20180302_173711_760.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
11 minutes ago, Slysi100 said:

So, what's the reason for the lack of showers? We've still got a bitterly cold howling easterly wind crossing a relatively warm sea. What's changed since Monday/Tuesday evening? I'm not complaining as we've done very well out of this early this week. Just want to understand what key factor has killed off the showers the last two days ?. 

Good question, looking at the charts you would expect heavy snow showers to continue

Posted
13 minutes ago, Slysi100 said:

The low pressures systems killing your convection, it happened to us down here yesterday.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snowdance said:

I thought we had a fair bit in Malton North Yorkshire,this was on the a68 on route to Slaley hall nr Hexham. Never seen anything like that before as we are only about 50 asl. ??????

IMG_20180302_173711_760.jpg

This was a couple of miles inland near Amble, taken yesterday. The photo doesnt do it justice yes those are trees nearly covered in snow, the drifting at some points really was 10 feet plus.

IMG_20180301_153436.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Deep Snow please said:

The low pressures systems killing your convection, it happened to us down here yesterday.

But I would have thought that the lower pressure would have helped convection. Or am I misunderstanding? I'm a bit of a novice ?. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers,cold winters with plenty of snow.
14 minutes ago, J-Man said:

This was a couple of miles inland near Amble, taken yesterday. The photo doesnt do it justice yes those are trees nearly covered in snow, the drifting at some points really was 10 feet plus.

IMG_20180301_153436.jpg

It certainly looked like that traveling up! Ive never seen anything like it,was fab to look at but sure the farmers have a different view.

Kudos to the folks who have kept the main roads open! 

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
13 minutes ago, Slysi100 said:

But I would have thought that the lower pressure would have helped convection. Or am I misunderstanding? I'm a bit of a novice ?. 

High up cirrus clouds spilling out of the Lp helped in holding back any meaningful convection.Today's parameters for convective showers was low with little CAPE and poor lapse rates..the cumulus stratus didnt help either with a continuous blanket streaming out of Denmark..

Posted

Activity in the north sea

Posted
21 minutes ago, NL said:

High up cirrus clouds spilling out of the Lp helped in holding back any meaningful convection.Today's parameters for convective showers was low with little CAPE and poor lapse rates..the cumulus stratus didnt help either with a continuous blanket streaming out of Denmark..

Thanks for the explanation ?. 

• Like 1

Posted

The Meto app has been as useful as a bmw round here going for constant heavy snow and at best it’s been 2/10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.
3 hours ago, NL said:

Is that a snowstorm or the winds whipping up the snow?

Both, it was ludicrous!