Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Paul

Posted

I guess this chasing snow hobby is like supporting a football team. Wait 8 years for a promotion for you to be relegated every season after. 

Its a shame that it maybe another 3/4/5 years till we see snow like this again. 

Will this stop us coming in here each year? I doubt it. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
22 minutes ago, Freezing-Point said:

2010 was better in some ways for some but not for others i suspect.

For my area of North Tyneside - In terms of amount of snow showers, intensity of snow showers, the amount of snow each one put down,  the final snow depth, longevity, minimum temperatures 2010 is in a different league and we may not see that again in our lifetimes.

In terms of blowing snow, drifting, upper air temperatures, then this short spell has been one of the best in the last 40 years.   In fact, my Dad who has been ploughing in his tractor, trying to keep some of the farm roads open near Morpeth, says only 1979 tops it for drifting.

Whilst I only have 40 years of experience the drifting up near Consett is astounding. The road at Hobson had drifts inches away from top of car so I would imagine some of the fields nearby would be up to the 6ft mark. It's not a 2010 for longevity but for the amount that fell in 3 days I think is staggering.

A couple of extra cm overnight and today (day 30 of snow) since my last drive clearing, which if I'm honest I'm getting tired of so luckily I'm off till Monday and it can fall as much as it wants till then.

P80301-185440.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

We've had a bit sleety stuff falling on and off today. I hope this is right for tonight, I'm feelingsnow starved after seeing pics in wales etc ?

FB_IMG_1520000056081.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

I guess this chasing snow hobby is like supporting a football team. Wait 8 years for a promotion for you to be relegated every season after. 

Its a shame that it maybe another 3/4/5 years till we see snow like this again. 

Will this stop us coming in here each year? I doubt it. 

Lol, I hope that you're right, it would be an indication that our climate is changing!

The chances of seeing what we've just seen in the next 3-5 years are almost nil.

So soon after '09 and '10 is a surprise. What you've just seen is exceptional, 2 day's of max temps of -3 and -4 with almost gale force winds and heavy snow showers? That's not normal UK climate.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Airedalejoe said:

Lol, I hope that you're right, it would be an indication that our climate is changing!

The chances of seeing what we've just seen in the next 3-5 years are almost nil.

So soon after '09 and '10 is a surprise. What you've just seen is exceptional, 2 day's of max temps of -3 and -4 with almost gale force winds and heavy snow showers? That's not normal UK climate.

Spot on i think your right. 

We have a habit of not enjoying it when the 8 years of waiting event happens then we all sit back and wish we had. 

On to the next one when i hope we're all here to ENJOY it :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, JP1972 said:

Have you not noticed, he’s been like this for years. He seems to get some kind of perverse enjoyment out of seeing some people (not me I hasten to add) deflated by weather. He’s a bit weird to put it MILDLY, and he even has people on the MOD thread laughing at him with his bias towards certain weather types. You’ll notice that whenever cold weather arrives, he’s the only poster I’ve seen actively looking for milder weather to return ?

Ouch, that's a bit harsh and to be fair he's not the only one to have a mild winter bias.

There's another who now seems to spend most of his time in the Short range model discussion thread which means he seems to have disappeared from the MOD. Good news!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Airedalejoe said:

For what it's worth I think winter 2018/19 will be severely cold. It's just a feeling really, but the last time we had solar output this low we had Feb 2009, 2009/10, then Nov/Dec 2010. Just food for thought and nothing guaranteed as usual... 

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Airedalejoe said:

That may well be true but remember  good Northerly is long overdue and that can last 10 days. That will hopefully be for next winter and just what is normal for our climate? Seems to me even without an SSW we are in with a good chance of some type of colds spells next year,hopefully during winter rather than Spring

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.
3 minutes ago, Airedalejoe said:

Ouch, that's a bit harsh and to be fair he's not the only one to have a mild winter bias.

There's another who now seems to spend most of his time in the Short range model discussion thread which means he seems to have disappeared from the MOD. Good news!

Well he gets some stick for his mild ramping and high pressure ramping on the MOD thread, so it is noticeable to many posters on this site that he gets some kind of enjoyment from the decline of colder weather. Personally I love cold and snow and weather extremes, be it cold, icy, windy or wet, but I’m not on here all day everyday of the year searching for the weather I want. Moreover I just enjoy whatever is thrown at us and accept it for what it is and what we are given, rather than searching for a breakdown of the weather I don’t like and then celebrating it like a lunatic!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
30 minutes ago, lizmartin1981 said:

We've had a bit sleety stuff falling on and off today. I hope this is right for tonight, I'm feelingsnow starved after seeing pics in wales etc ?

FB_IMG_1520000056081.jpg

Funny you mention that chart just had a look at the hourly forecast for Darlo later

4d56cd93-02af-4c80-8b6b-7f7564843528.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
15 minutes ago, ZK099 said:

For what it's worth I think winter 2018/19 will be severely cold. It's just a feeling really, but the last time we had solar output this low we had Feb 2009, 2009/10, then Nov/Dec 2010. Just food for thought and nothing guaranteed as usual... 

Yep i agree with this we are entering or even in solar minimum at the moment its when we are coming out of solar minimum we get a better chance of a cold winter so maybe 18/19 or most probably 19/20 will hopefully be a really cold winter but as you say nothing is guaranteed

Posted
20 minutes ago, booferking said:

I give you Kilkenny Ireland records are being smashed. And still coming down endless.

sallins 2.JPG

Now that's Snow. You will top trumps. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

I have never seen drifts like the ones we got yesterday, this winter has been really good i feel not many mild days. I am now  looking forward to warmer weather.

Edited by snowgirl30
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowgirl30 said:

I have never seen drifts like the ones we got yesterday, this winter has been really good i feel not many mild days. I am now  looking forward to warmer weather.

As much as I love the cold and snow, cold without snow or any prospects of meaningful snow does always seem a tad pointless. I can’t say I’ll be sorry to feel a little bit of warmth on the back of my neck, particularly on days like today when it’s just cloudy and raw. I haven’t seen the sun since Monday afternoon, so when it does return it’ll be welcome. 

• Like 1

Posted

I drove from the east side of Newcastle to the west earlier today, taking in the A189 up to the A19. The drifts are fabulous, the snow had folded over numerous times, wish I could have stopped to take some pics. However, this is what I encountered on Wednesday morning when I attempted to drive to Consett!

A1984A8C-F0E6-4CEC-8292-89DC8CE6B1BB.mov

Posted

Dec 2010 was better personally not just the snow level but the sunshine and calmness to enjoy it. The howling wind and cloudiness with this spell has downgraded Scandinavia highs 2nd to Greenland highs for me

Posted

Light sleety/snow here now, leaden skies with no breaks as far as the eye can see...

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Is that fog out in the north sea or a lot of low cloud?

0c72834c-17c9-415c-8990-3adfedd6c751.png

Cumulus stratus and a lot of it..!!!

• Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, JP1972 said:

I drove from the east side of Newcastle to the west earlier today, taking in the A189 up to the A19. The drifts are fabulous, the snow had folded over numerous times, wish I could have stopped to take some pics. However, this is what I encountered on Wednesday morning when I attempted to drive to Consett!

A1984A8C-F0E6-4CEC-8292-89DC8CE6B1BB.mov

Is that a snowstorm or the winds whipping up the snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I am heading up to Morpeth now.  Its where I grew up so want to see the size of the drifts they have.  Many roads have been blocked.  Will get pics

• Like 3

Posted