Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I know that there will be a lot of annoyed parents today.  Many schools still closed in my area today that probably went of the MET Amber warning.  As it turns out the roads are perfectly clear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

If you have a look at Sat24 the clouds are moving from west to east unless that's the high cloud from the fronts to the south either way it's bad news 

Posted
1 minute ago, Boro Snow said:

If you have a look at Sat24 the clouds are moving from west to east unless that's the high cloud from the fronts to the south either way it's bad news 

I noticed that yesterday.  I think it is the cloud from the fronts as you say.  Must be what destroying our convection

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Light snow grains here, wind has abated a lot. Last night the wind was howling through Wallsend and the sno grains were flying horizontally at approximately 637mph! 

Posted

Meto forecast an upgrade from earlier now with heavy snow 9am-9pm here. Just can’t see it on radar

Posted
17 minutes ago, Freezing-Point said:

I noticed that yesterday.  I think it is the cloud from the fronts as you say.  Must be what destroying our convection

It's cloud from the front, hapenned to us in the North West last night killing shower activity, it's a 100 mile in front of the systems north edge by the looks of it, expect it to kill shower activity even more today as front is expected to start getting even further north (to Cheshire-Yorkshire)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

No further snow overnight which means the grit I put down has got to work nicely and melted it

The amber warning extension for the south of the region at least was pretty pointless in the end

Posted

Have an interesting day today. 11 yr old mad keen swimming daughter due in Edinburgh tonight with Mum, her best swimming buddy and her mum, hotel for two nights to watch UK Swimming Championships, one of her Xmas pressies. She has been so excited, she is bursting.

Then...the snow. Virgin East Coast have confirmed no trains into Scotland at all today, boooo!!

So I have volunteered to drive them all up after work ( well, she is my girl and I love her to bits, she is distraught at the thought of missing it). So am I, I thought I had the tv control this weekend, and a night out with the lads tomorrow!

Trouble is, the A1 is still totally blocked in Northumberland, we are effectively cut off from Scotland, something Hadrian almost managed. Listening to the chief engineer in charge of the highways up there, they are confident of having the road clear by lunchtime, using ploughs, gritters and snow blowers. Main problem is drifting and blowing snow off the fields.. Hey ho, I'll give it a go, leave work 5.20pm, home by 6, back out by 6.15, pick friend plus mum up from Sunniside, hit the A1.( IF OPEN). Arrive Edinbugh city centre 10 ish, will be slow I guess. Drop them off, back home by 2ish, bed, after a pint lol.

Will let you all know how I get on, fingers crossed.

SM

Edited by snowmackem
spelling
  • Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, snowmackem said:

Have an interesting day today. 11 yr old mad keen swimming daughter due in Edinburgh tonight with Mum, her best swimming buddy and her mum, hotel for two nights to watch UK Swimming Championships, one of her Xmas pressies. She has been so excited, she is bursting.

Then...the snow. Virgin East Coast have confirmed no trains into Scotland at all today, boooo!!

So I have volunteered to drive them all up after work ( well, she is my girl and I love her to bits, she is distraught at the thought of missing it). So am I, I thought I had the tv control this weekend, and a night out with the lads tomorrow!

Trouble is, the A1 is still totally blocked in Northumberland, we are effectively cut off from Scotland, something Hadrian almost managed. Listening to the chief engineer in charge of the highways up there, they are confident of having the road clear by lunchtime, using ploughs, gritters and snow blowers. Main problem is drifting and blowing snow off the fields.. Hey ho, I'll give it a go, leave work 5.20pm, home by 6, back out by 6.15, pick friend plus mum up from Sunniside, hit the A1.( IF OPEN). Arrive Edinbugh city centre 10 ish, will be slow I guess. Drop them off, back home by 2ish, bed, after a pint lol.

SM

I'll look out for reports overnight of a desperate dad stranded in his car in Northumberland, mumbling something incoherent about a missed pint...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: not fussed
12 minutes ago, snowmackem said:

SM

Good luck with the journey mate, I'm supposed to be in Morpeth @8pm tonight and I'd be only  driving  from Sunderland, I'm quite reluctant to make journey out there (and back later after 11pm ish  ) considering the amber warnings and all the amount of accidents and breakdowns over the past couple of days ...

• Thanks 1

Posted

Just cant see where these "occasional heavy snow showers" are going to come from.  The trend is for any shower activity to die away at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Yep the radar is depressing

Posted

Updated yellow warning

Northumberland only all other areas have no warnings in place

Between 11:30 Fri 2nd and 23:55 Sat 3rd

Snow showers are expected to continue over parts of northern Britain, bringing further accumulations of snow and a risk of icy stretches. Further delays to travel and public transport could occur, whilst some rural communities could become or remain cut off. Further impacts to power supplies/mobile phone coverage are also possible.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Frequent snow showers are likely to continue feeding in from the North Sea on a very cold easterly wind. Due to the nature of showers, some places are expected to receive an additional 5-10 cm of snow per day, whereas other places nearby may only receive small amounts. Strong winds will lead to severe drifting of lying snow in places, as well as a severe wind chill, although these are expected to begin to ease through Friday night. This is an update to remove much of both southwest Scotland and northeast England where snow showers have largely died out.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?region=ne&date=2018-03-02&regionType=area

Posted

Temp just about to go above 0.  So the thaw begins in lowland areas in the region.  Improving conditions today.  Any showers will be light and short-lived leading to minimal accumulations.

Edited by Freezing-Point
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

All change from Sunday

861b7a45-a57d-4926-9455-946a50bdf288.thumb.png.72d85195452e34d1452878abe2e21965.png

:yahoo:

Is this deliberate trolling?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

All change from Sunday

861b7a45-a57d-4926-9455-946a50bdf288.thumb.png.72d85195452e34d1452878abe2e21965.png

:yahoo:

4℃ and cold rain...you need to go and see a doctor, I fear your losing ya mind SS..

• Like 2

Posted

Regional met office forecast

Today:

Remaining bitterly cold with frequent, mainly light snow showers continuing to arrive off the North Sea on a strong wind, with further accumulations expected, severe drifting and severe wind chill. The winds may moderate a little later in the afternoon. Maximum temperature 1 °C.

Tonight:

Further snow showers widely and fairly strong winds, the showers perhaps tending to become less heavy with time. Winds will continue to ease-off into Saturday morning. Minimum temperature -4 °C.

Saturday:

Occasional snow showers still likely, but these are likely to fade as the day goes on with drier conditions developing later. Remaining cold though, with moderate easterly winds. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Temperatures are likely to slowly recover. Bands of rain or showers are likely to move northwards, interspersed with drier, brighter periods. Snow still possible over hills and overnight frosts likely.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcwyht9w6#?date=2018-03-06

• Thanks 1

Posted

Well the beast from the east was good while it lasted. Shame this country cant have longer spells of the stuff. 

Back to normal routine Monday then. 

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

Well the beast from the east was good while it lasted. Shame this country cant have longer spells of the stuff. 

Back to normal routine Monday then. 

Quite.

Really does underline just how great Nov/Dec 2010 was.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.
1 hour ago, NickR said:

Is this deliberate trolling?

Have you not noticed, he’s been like this for years. He seems to get some kind of perverse enjoyment out of seeing some people (not me I hasten to add) deflated by weather. He’s a bit weird to put it MILDLY, and he even has people on the MOD thread laughing at him with his bias towards certain weather types. You’ll notice that whenever cold weather arrives, he’s the only poster I’ve seen actively looking for milder weather to return ?

Posted

The radar shows the snow from Storm Emma has now split with one area over Ireland and another tracking northwards through England and eastern Wales

cdf4da8e-9277-42be-af23-ac354fe69609.thumb.png.68b17ac72c3f97339dc02c29c92fcd86.png

Some part of the region may get some further snow later in the day if it can avoid fizzling out

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, NickR said:

Quite.

Really does underline just how great Nov/Dec 2010 was.

2010 was better in some ways for some but not for others i suspect.

For my area of North Tyneside - In terms of amount of snow showers, intensity of snow showers, the amount of snow each one put down,  the final snow depth, longevity, minimum temperatures 2010 is in a different league and we may not see that again in our lifetimes.

In terms of blowing snow, drifting, upper air temperatures, then this short spell has been one of the best in the last 40 years.   In fact, my Dad who has been ploughing in his tractor, trying to keep some of the farm roads open near Morpeth, says only 1979 tops it for drifting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Comparing 2010 to this spell so far. Max snow depths 2010 97cms 2018 52 cms min temps 2010 -21.6 2018 -9.2. Length of spell 2010 5 weeks this spell 4 days so far!

Not much competition here.

Edited by tynevalleysnow
  • Like 1