Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
1 minute ago, Fairweather Teessider said:

Staring at my factor 10 earlier... If it's going to get warmer, please increase from, say, 11.30pm Saturday to 9am Sunday, completely melting the slush and starting again green and lush. Daffodils getting a push, buds on the Bush, putting away my snow brush, giving the toilet a flush and being able to use my factor 10

Factor 10?  Thats like sunblock in the height of summer here

Posted

The blob is still there, just out of reach of the Netweather radar though

image.thumb.png.20b8209f5e41753d2228891201e4b7bb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

Met office have me down as 80% for heavy snow at midnight. The sky has been 'snow coloured ' for hours but we've had nothing since about 8pm. It's bloody windy out there though, temp is no longer in minus figures either

Posted
1 minute ago, lizmartin1981 said:

Met office have me down as 80% for heavy snow at midnight. The sky has been 'snow coloured ' for hours but we've had nothing since about 8pm. It's bloody windy out there though, temp is no longer in minus figures either

This must be why.  GFS from 12pm is showing a more intense ppn area. image.thumb.png.89358253c22377f5a14f1e95785a1880.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Yes the met has just given me 4 hours of heavy snow starting at 12 (prudhoe)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!
1 minute ago, Freezing-Point said:

This must be why.  GFS from 12pm is showing a more intense ppn area. image.thumb.png.89358253c22377f5a14f1e95785a1880.png

We've another snow day tomorrow so I might stay up and see if it happens. Found some mulled wine so I'm set for the night, it tastes so much better when it's snowy outside!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, Snow, Thunder, cold crisp ice days
3 minutes ago, lizmartin1981 said:

We've another snow day tomorrow so I might stay up and see if it happens. Found some mulled wine so I'm set for the night, it tastes so much better when it's snowy outside!!

? as I headed out to the local shop today an older women stopped me and said "they have ran out of milk". I replied 'not bothered about milk...as long as they still have wine". And they did. 

• Like 1

Posted

Well thats me done.  Bed.  Cant keep hoping this blob is going to suddenly appear on the radar.  Will be gutted if it does and I miss it all......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Just when I was planning for an early night lok

Posted
Just now, Fairweather Teessider said:

Staring at my factor 10 earlier... If it's going to get warmer, please increase from, say, 11.30pm Saturday to 9am Sunday, completely melting the slush and starting again green and lush. Daffodils getting a push, buds on the Bush, putting away my snow brush, giving the toilet a flush and being able to use my factor 10

Yikes!!??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, Snow, Thunder, cold crisp ice days

Yup when you run the blob on real time it's not joining the party. Hmmm back to growing my icicles. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

I’m somewhat surprised but also disappointed. We were forecast heavy snow from 14:00 to 23:00 yesterday and had nothing. I was hoping this cold snap might have ended with a bit of a bang but it perhaps wasn’t to be. 

Posted

SO nothing at all overnight... nothing in the N Sea. Anything expected today?

Posted
15 minutes ago, NickR said:

SO nothing at all overnight... nothing in the N Sea. Anything expected today?

For some reason there is still and Amber warning for snow.  This was the case yesterday and there were only a few flakes across most of the affected areas.   For me, this is making the Amber warnings seem not worthy.   Amber means be prepared and should only be given if the chances for snow are very high.  This was the case on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  Yellow warning would be more suitable for yesterday and It looks like today too.

Maybe there some addition criteria to giving the warning other than snow actually falling?

Posted

The Met Office warnings have by and large been good, but sometimes appearing at random, and too late really for action, however, yes agree the amber warning for NE Eng probably should have been downgraded to yellow yesterday evening, however, its all done on likelihood, and I am sensing some over cautiousness creeping into many of them, to the point that a bit of light rain or snow seems to warrant a yellow warning..

I think back to some of the snow storms of yesteryear - the red warning would have been used so often it would have diluted it to the point of little impact. A new category very red would have been needed.

Looking at the next 3 days, little confused, FAX charts show front after snow over the region which should produce snow, yet forecasts show quite patchy affair.. I do think further snow showers will spring up later day and through the night, and the region will be exposed to outbreaks of snow tomorrow and Sunday.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Maybe they went off the precipitation charts from the models?   The GFS for one was showing precipitation intensifying over the region overnight, but that did not happen.  However even the level of precipitation that was shown still did not warrant an Amber warning.

If they are doing it out of caution then it should be a yellow, otherwise successive Ambers without anything happening, will make people take them with a pinch of salt, leading people to travel and then be caught out when there was actually snow coming. 

Edited by Freezing-Point

Posted

Meto forecast have it down for heavy snow 9-12 and again 5-11pm today here but can’t see where heavy snow will come from

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

The problem is that the frontal systems to the south are restricting convection hundreds of miles north, this often happens and I am surprised the MetO haven't taken this into a account.

I think its over for significant north sea convection now with so many frontal systems to the south.

Happy to be proved wrong but told the wife that and she believes me after I correctly forecasted that the snow showers Tuesday and Wednesday would easily get over the Pennines due to the intensely cold air aloft.

Sometimes experience is better than computer models especially Euro4!

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Light snow flurries all morning here since waking up, still very windy and Brrrr outside :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
5 minutes ago, tynevalleysnow said:

Meto forecast have it down for heavy snow 9-12 and again 5-11pm today here but can’t see where heavy snow will come from

Its so annoying and combined with an Amber warning is ridiculous.

Do the guys in Exeter not have Radar?

Andy

• Like 1

Posted

A line of slightly intensified ppn over the region.  Light snow with the odd moderate burst.  Could this be a development? 

image.png