Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
1 minute ago, NickR said:

I agree. The same areas tend to get the streamers/biggest showers. The accumulation charts show this. The conclusion I reached a few years ago is that it must have something to do with the region's topography.

Possibly, but the sea is flat so why dont the showers build out to sea in the oncoming direction first?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The cold weather alert is currently scheduled to expire on Saturday afternoon at 3pm the last update was Monday morning

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)
6 minutes ago, Freezing-Point said:

Possibly, but the sea is flat so why dont the showers build out to sea in the oncoming direction first?

They need land to force the clouds and moisture up to give bigger falls further inland i think.

So land mass/height around the north east may give a reason to shower dustribution??

Edited by doctor32

Posted

I hear today is World book day wonder how many parents bought costumes for kids only to find their school is closed every school in Darlo is closed today after just 2 opened yesterday

Posted
Just now, doctor32 said:

They need land to force the clouds and moisture up to give bigger falls further inland i think.

Yes that right.  Thats not what I am getting at.  If you looked at the amount, size and intensity of the showers that have hit the coast line from Berwick to Whitby, you would see that the coastal area in my windward direction (Blyth - North Shields) has not had many showers.  No streamer.  Therefore, inland following that direction does not get them either. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

I hear today is World book day wonder how many parents bought costumes for kids only to find their school is closed every school in Darlo is closed today after just 2 opened yesterday

Its been moved till next Thursday

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Freezing-Point said:

Yes that right.  Thats not what I am getting at.  If you looked at the amount, size and intensity of the showers that have hit the coast line from Berwick to Whitby, you would see that the coastal area in my windward direction (Blyth - North Shields) has not had many showers.  No streamer.  Therefore, inland following that direction does not get them either. 

I think the higher ground backs the air up due to it loosing forward momentum as it gains altitude. This backing up reaches far out to sea when there is a constant wind source. This causes the showers to form out to sea in the areas that the air is being backed up. These streams obviously change their location based on the direction of the wind. 

Posted

A morning of some intense mini blizzards earlier, just the odd flake now.

Without doubt a historic event here, it is so rare to get temps several degrees below freezing, strong winds off the sea and heavy snow all at once!

2010 had more snow but this beats it for the blizzards over several day's. 2013 pales in comparison.

Coupled with the amount of ice and frost from October onwards and the 7/8 light snowfalls we've already had, winter 17/18 is right up there.

After last summers crap temperatures too, it will be interesting to see whether summer 18 is as cool!

Posted

Updated amber warning

• Darlington
  • Durham
  • Gateshead
  • Hartlepool
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
  • North Tyneside
  • Northumberland
  • South Tyneside
  • Stockton-on-Tees
  • Sunderland

Between 10:30 Thu 1st and 10:00 Fri 2nd

Frequent and often heavy snow showers are expected to continue through Thursday and overnight into Friday morning with further significant accumulations likely. Long delays and cancellations on bus, rail and air travel could occur. Roads may become blocked by deep snow, with many stranded vehicles and passengers. Some rural communities might be cut off for several days. Long interruptions to power supplies and other services such as telephone and mobile phone networks, could occur.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Snow showers will bring variable snow cover, but parts of northern England and Scotland are expected to see the most frequent snow showers. During this time, a further 5-10 cm of snow is expected quite widely. Where showers become organised though, most likely across Scotland and over the hills of northern England, some places are likely to have an additional 15-25 cm of snow. Strong winds will continue to lead to drifting of snow, and severe wind chill, while lightning could be an additional hazard, particularly near coasts. Although snow showers across northern England will ease somewhat with time, continued blowing and drifting of lying snow is likely. This warning has been updated to extend the validity period into Friday morning as well as to extend the area further south across more of northern England.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?region=ne&date=2018-03-01&regionType=area

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Amber warning update for today now extended to friday 10am and to extend area further south across northen england...

Good signs

• Thanks 1

Posted

Updated yellow warning

• Darlington
  • Durham
  • Gateshead
  • Hartlepool
  • Middlesbrough
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
  • North Tyneside
  • Northumberland
  • Redcar and Cleveland
  • South Tyneside
  • Stockton-on-Tees
  • Sunderland

Between 10:15 Thu 1st and 23:55 Thu 1st

Further snow showers are expected on Thursday, accompanied by very low temperatures. There is the possibility of travel delays on roads, stranding some vehicles and passengers, and delays or cancellations to rail and air travel. Some rural communities could become or remain cut off. Power cuts may occur and other services, such as mobile phones, may be affected.

Snow showers will bring variable snow cover, with the potential for a further 5-10 cm and possibly 15 cm of snow in places where showers are most frequent, whereas some places nearby will receive only small amounts. Strong winds will likely lead to drifting of lying snow, as well as a severe wind chill. This warning has been updated again, extending the yellow area westwards across parts of Lancashire. The warning should be viewed alongside the embedded amber warning over parts of northern England and Scotland.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?region=ne&date=2018-03-01&regionType=area

Posted

Yellow warning for Friday and Saturday

• Darlington
  • Durham
  • Gateshead
  • Hartlepool
  • Middlesbrough
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
  • North Tyneside
  • Northumberland
  • Redcar and Cleveland
  • South Tyneside
  • Stockton-on-Tees
  • Sunderland

Between 00:05 Fri 2nd and 23:55 Sat 3rd

Snow showers are expected to continue over parts of northern Britain, bringing a further risk of ice and further accumulations of snow. Further delays to travel and public transport could occur, whilst some rural communities could become or remain cut off. Further impacts to power supplies/mobile phone coverage are also possible.

Frequent snow showers are likely to continue feeding in from the North Sea on a very cold easterly wind. Due to the nature of showers, some places are expected to receive an additional 5-10 cm of snow per day, whereas other places nearby may only receive small amounts. Brisk winds will lead to some drifting of snow, as well as a severe wind chill, although these are expected to begin to ease through Friday.

Posted

How has Boro missed out on the Amber warning again? We’ve had just as much snow as anyone else in NE England excluding higher ground. Ludicrous. Anyway I’ll take that as a good sign for everyone.

Edited by Snowmaggedon

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

How has Boro missed out on the Amber warning again? We’ve had just as much snow as anyone else in NE England excluding higher ground. Ludicrous. Anyway I’ll take that as a good sign for everyone.

It is crazy isn't it. It has to be a good sign. 

How much snow will we actually have by the time Saturday is here. Crazy!

Posted
13 minutes ago, garylaverick said:

I think the higher ground backs the air up due to it loosing forward momentum as it gains altitude. This backing up reaches far out to sea when there is a constant wind source. This causes the showers to form out to sea in the areas that the air is being backed up. These streams obviously change their location based on the direction of the wind. 

That makes sense, but what does not is that the wind has been ENE, E, ESE and the shower distribution has remained relatively constant

Posted
6 minutes ago, garylaverick said:

Must be something brewing that we're not currently seeing on radar.

What makes you say that?

Posted

Looking on SAT24 satellite animation, it is clear there is a band of thicker white showing offshore that looks like it is headed Tyneside way in the next couple of hours. Quite hard to tell as the shower band is pivoting slightly ( or is it an optical illusion ?).

Whatever, there is def something thicker headed our way shortly, some kind of disturbance.

Posted
1 minute ago, Chris. said:

What makes you say that?

It's just that the radar for the South of the region looks quite depleted now, however the Met Office have extended the amber warning to 10am tomorrow and have included more of the South of the region.

Looking at the satellite loop we now have cloud moving north over the top of the clouds coming in from the east, could cause some interesting interactions.

anim_vis_uk.gif

• Like 2

Posted

Streamers setting up over the peak district heading north? Storm Emma is going to be throwing some humid air our way that'll be lifted and hit the cold air we have.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow, beast from the east

If you look from an hour ago the showers seem to be intensifying again just out at sea. Just hope more hit Whitley Bay as seem to be either to North or South of us. Im sure its to do with the Tyne Valley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

First day of Spring 10 inches of snow still well below zero currently -1.7c and that wind chill wow, that ppn moving north is extremely light that cannot be the reason why the Amber warning has been extended, I thought the winds later change to a ENE could be wrong though 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

For those people querying shower distribution, I could be wrong here and stand corrected if I am, but streamers often set up along rivers too. So being in closer proximity to rivers such as the Tyne, Wear or Tees may give people in these areas an added advantage. 

As as I say, I stand to be corrected by someone more knowledgeable than me, but in my experience of living up here, this may explain intensity and shower distribution. 

Posted

Whats the models suggesting over the next day or so?  Havent looked at the MOD thread since tuesday lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Does anyone know why the amber warning has moved down into yorkshire? Is something else brewing or are they thinking convection line will be a bit more south. Just had all the snow this morning. Ita been treacherous and stopped for now. Round corner from me:

FB_IMG_1519902936084.jpg