Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
Just now, JP1972 said:

The wind here is now a serious bone chiller. It literally feels like your skin is burning. 

I agree that windchill is horrific it literally feels like you're skin is on fire lol From cold perspective the windchill seems far worse than 2010 in my area like which is pretty remarkable as it's spring!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!
2 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

Wow what a scene that is.

It was hard to breathe, wind chill out there is horrendous, kinda enjoyed it in a way that how :)

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, P-M said:

I agree that windchill is horrific it literally feels like you're skin is on fire lol From cold perspective the windchill seems far worse than 2010 in my area like which is pretty remarkable as it's spring!

Agree windchill is a big difference to 2010. Even though 2010 was -10 or so it was calm. Whereas now -3 but wind making this  worse 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The north sea looks less active today once the light snow over the region clears through

8da72ff4-4b80-4ccb-a39a-cc176ca0c36f.png

Light snow??? Been moderate all morning here with odd heavy burst, furthe north been very heavy in places especially hilly areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
1 minute ago, doctor32 said:

Light snow??? Been moderate all morning here with odd heavy burst, furthe north been very heavy in places especially hilly areas.

Light here currently just a few flakes in the air

Posted

I'm just back from the local Lidl - I've never felt so cold in my life- glad to be back in the house

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Light here currently just a few flakes in the air

Light here too now, just you said light snow over the region. which is not the case, unless you meant for your area??

:p

• Like 1

Posted

Certainly is cold and looks like quita a bit more to come, snow wise we have only had a few flurries this morning but from the wind direction we could get more at any time. This is your SSW in full swing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
10 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The north sea looks less active today once the light snow over the region clears through

8da72ff4-4b80-4ccb-a39a-cc176ca0c36f.png

Is that wishful thinking Gav lol plenty more to come later

Posted

It's a strange one today, although the radar looks less intense it's actually snowing more than yesterday.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Is that wishful thinking Gav lol plenty more to come later

Yeah bit of a lull forecast for during the day if netweather is right the 10 to 11 hour looks a bust though

63406524-7212-48c8-bdfd-b8317acbe6f1.png

And that wind chill today :cold::cold::cold:

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Since 8 this morning it’s been 6/10-10/10 here. Worse than yesterday so far 

Posted

Seem to be getting more intense as they hit land today rather than the sea

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

For my area heavy snow/heavy snow showers from 14:00 til 23:00. To say that the radar is drying up and snow risk dissipating is disingenuous to say the least. 

Posted

Hardly anything overnight at the coast, a bit drifting due to the wind. Main roads are all completely clear today though. Suspect there won't be much further disruption here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Same story here.  Bands of showers to the South and North and a few flurries here with the odd heavier burst which lasts a few minutes at the most.  This is clear on the radar.   These are taken from this morning, but could have been taken at any time in the last 2 days to show the same pattern.  Its just not possible that a random shower distribution would work like this, so there is obviously something at play here.

I have come to the conclusion that an Easterly is not good for snow in my area.  During the last decent one in 1991 I lived to the North in Morpeth and got loads of snow, just like they have this time.  Needs to be a NE or Northerly for snow here from showers like in 2010.image.thumb.png.b74e9287911cc9e791cae32aec0cd0ee.pngimage.thumb.png.f1c53da6a6388fafc31e0f3c601b8e2f.png

Posted

Regional met office forecast

Today:

Very cold with frequent, occasionally heavy snow showers continuing giving further accumulations through the day across all parts, with strong easterly winds giving blizzard conditions, drifting and severe wind chill. A few short-lived brighter spells are likely in between showers. Maximum temperature -1 °C.

Tonight:

Snow showers are likely to continue for all areas during the evening, again with strong easterly winds giving local blizzards and drifting of lying snow. Minimum temperature -5 °C.

Friday:

Still cold with frequent snow showers continuing to drift off the North Sea, but perhaps a little less cold than recent days with winds moderating later in the afternoon. Maximum temperature 1 °C.

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

Slowly feeling less cold, but lying snow and ice likely to persist. Scattered wintry showers will continue, but fewer than of late, also with lighter winds and less wind chill.

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
3 minutes ago, Freezing-Point said:

Same story here.  Bands of showers to the South and North and a few flurries here with the odd heavier burst which lasts a few minutes at the most.  This is clear on the radar.   These are taken from this morning, but could have been taken at any time in the last 2 days to show the same pattern.  Its just not possible that a random shower distribution would work like this, so there is obviously something at play here.

I have come to the conclusion that an Easterly is not good for snow in my area.  During the last decent one in 1991 I lived to the North in Morpeth and got loads of snow, just like they have this time.  Needs to be a NE or Northerly for snow here from showers like in 2010.image.thumb.png.b74e9287911cc9e791cae32aec0cd0ee.pngimage.thumb.png.f1c53da6a6388fafc31e0f3c601b8e2f.png

I agree. The same areas tend to get the streamers/biggest showers. The accumulation charts show this. The conclusion I reached a few years ago is that it must have something to do with the region's topography.