Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Paul

Posted

The rabbit won't be happy if it can't stay dry, i was just thinking today a lot of half grown wild ones I've been noticing might not survive (with any luck).
It's spectacularly blizzardy here just now, have done some video, but it won't be up until late or tomorrow am. -6 with it, anyone out on roads tonight wants head examined, truly dangerous if you got stuck and tried to walk far.

Edited by 4wd
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

IMAG0261.thumb.jpg.24a07b3b1b66073607242efa06309d1c.jpg

Good covering in back garden today

• Like 1

Posted

IMAG0255.thumb.jpg.d870205bca22093003f3a53db4812682.jpg

Roads this morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
4 minutes ago, NickR said:

Seems a bit reduced to me too - good for Teeside, bit rubbish for the middle of the region, decent for Northumberland.

It seems to have reduced all over from the past couple hours.  But more concentrated north and south ATM.  Hopefully it'll pick up again soon.

Edited by P-M

Posted
1 minute ago, Bridgehill Blizzard said:

Impressive bright lightning at minute 

These...

Screenshot_20180228-201624.thumb.png.f7ee8cae2f2a1b9020f13434a1a21d4e.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, Snow, Thunder, cold crisp ice days
1 hour ago, P-M said:

Amazing view from mine right now moon and an angry orange sky! 

FB_IMG_1519845013957.jpg

I saw it too. Just as I was walking home with the dog. I got in the just in time with seconds to spare before it came down. Good picture. ?

• Thanks 1

Posted

having a decent run of snow showers in Westmoor this evening, lashing down again:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny

Drifting really bad and quite a few showers one after another . Wind really blowing . Must be extreme on north York moors . Dangerous 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Pritty impressive for this thread 90 pages in 11 days im sure that's more than the last 2 years combined ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Pritty impressive for this thread 90 pages in 11 days im sure that's more than the last 2 years combined ?

Our mysteriously deleted thread was active for a year I think and struggled to make 1 page a month at times be nice to see a few more around in the spring and summer for the thunderstorms

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

Here it's to dangerous to even walk in the garden i can't see my front door from 8ft.

Truly atrocious 

Edited by sorepaw1
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

Our mysteriously deleted thread was active for a year I think and struggled to make 1 page a month at times be nice to see a few more around in the spring and summer for the thunderstorms

Summer sun you must be the only person in here in summer are you lol. 

Posted
Just now, sorepaw1 said:

Here it's to dangerous to even walk in the garden is can see my front door from 8ft.

Truly atrocious 

And to think some in the MOD thread are hoping these conditions last until the end of March!!

If only those hoping for it could actually experience what you have I bet they'd soon wish a break in the weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Best shower in a while here now, drifts in my back garden can't believe I'm saying that really is a memorable spell this

• Like 1

Back after a long day lads. Morning was disappointing and despite every other bloody school in the county being shut, my 6th form was open- it's renowned for never closing so that was expected. Had a notice at around 10am that last period was cancelled and we were to head home at 2:40pm. Interesting for me because the teachers kept stressing to leave early and our school is known for NEVER closing due to snow. I thought that was quite fishy. I personally think the Met Office, via the council, notified the school to close early because they knew what was coming. 

At around 11am we had some heavy snow along with thunder. Again at 3pm, very heavy snow with thunder and lightning. Visibility hugely reduced and it was a struggle to drive. Arrived at the Town Moor in Newcastle to sledge with friends and couldn't see anything. Absolute whiteout, looked like thick fog. We actually couldn't find the hill it was that heavy. Eventually did, after transversing 1.5ft drifts. At the top of the hill, I've never experienced anything like it. You could see the dark shower clouds roll in from the east. Bitter winds, drifting snow, exceptionally heavy snowfall. Absolutely unbelievable. Felt like I was in the Arctic. Temperature was probably -5 and windchill must have been well below -10. I was on my phone so took my gloves off and had to nearly hang up my hands were that cold. 

Savour this lads because these low 500 thicknesses are extremely rare. An unbelievable experience for me and being 18, that was the best fall of snow I have ever seen. Trumped what I can remember of 2010 and 2013.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

And the Doc from Aycliffe lol 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Yellow warning updated for tonight

• Darlington
  • Durham
  • Gateshead
  • Hartlepool
  • Middlesbrough
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
  • North Tyneside
  • Northumberland
  • Redcar and Cleveland
  • South Tyneside
  • Stockton-on-Tees
  • Sunderland

Between 20:25 Wed 28th and 23:55 Wed 28th

Heavy snow showers are expected during today. There is the potential for travel delays on roads, with some stranded vehicles and passengers, as well as delays or cancellations to rail and air travel. Some rural communities could become cut off. Power cuts may also occur and other services, such as mobile phones, may be affected.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Snow showers will bring variable snow cover, with the potential for 10-15 cm of snow where showers are most frequent in the north, while nearby locations may see only 1 to 4 cm. Southeastern areas of England should see overnight showers ease. Strong winds will lead to drifting of snow and severe wind chill, while lightning could be an additional hazard, particularly near coasts. The warning area has been updated again, this time to include parts of southern England where snow showers may produce 1 to 3 cm this evening. Amber and Red warnings are in force for areas seeing higher impacts.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-02-28

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,wind, heat and thunderstorms
13 minutes ago, Stozzy said:

Drifting really bad and quite a few showers one after another . Wind really blowing . Must be extreme on north York moors . Dangerous 

Aye even in valley bottom (Farndale) it's a total whiteout with drifting. Expect it'll be extremely bad on Blakey Ridge. 

• Like 1

Posted

Much as I love hearing about NY and Teeside getting pasted, is there any chance this sort of activity will transfer a bit further north as the night goes on?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Well got into work for my final night shift. Thank God it's my last one I might be able to enjoy the snow after this lol

• Like 1