Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Paul

Posted
9 minutes ago, NL said:

This will be the culprit for continuous snow with little breaks inbetween. The train from the Baltic..!!

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 10.42.37.png

Is this the persistent stuff due from about 4pm, showing on the Met updates?

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
26 minutes ago, gordonm said:

rothbury likely to get cut off with that!!!

You might make yersell a few £ if go out in ya Range Rover and rescue those BMW drivers..!!! Mate of mine did it in his Discovery in 2010,think he was getting £25 for every motorist he pulled out..!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

haven't got it anymore, had a defender but just sold that too!! so im as stuck as anyone during this spell! lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Amber warning updated

• Durham
  • Gateshead
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
  • North Tyneside
  • Northumberland
  • South Tyneside
  • Sunderland
  • Darlington
  • Stockton-on-Tees
  • Hartlepool

Between 06:00 Wed 28th and 18:00 Thu 1st

Frequent and heavy snow showers are expected on Wednesday and Thursday leading to some significant accumulations developing. Long delays and cancellations on bus, rail and air travel could occur. Roads may become blocked by deep snow, with many stranded vehicles and passengers. Some rural communities might be cut off for several days. Long interruptions to power supplies and other services such as telephone and mobile phone networks, could occur.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Snow showers will bring variable snow cover, but parts of northeast England and Scotland are expected to see the most frequent snow showers from Wednesday morning to Thursday afternoon. During this time, 5-10 cm of snow is expected quite widely. Where showers become organised though, most likely across Scotland and over the hills of northern England, some places are likely to have an additional 15-25 cm of snow, locally as much as 40 cm. Strong winds will lead to drifting of snow and severe wind chill, while lightning could be an additional hazard, particularly near coasts. This warning has been updated to extend the area south across parts of northern England, this particularly for Wednesday and the first part of Thursday, whilst the end time has been extended to later on Thursday.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-02-28

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny

Haha I'm out of the amber by 3 miles . Duno how they work that out like . Up too 40cm on high ground wow :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
3 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Amber warning covering Wednesday/Thursday extended to cover more areas further South of the region? Stockton, Darlington included but Middlesbrough misses out. How have they worked that one out? 

I don't get that how can Stockton have a warning and not Middlesbrough or Cleveland 

Posted
1 minute ago, Stozzy said:

Haha I'm out of the amber by 3 miles . Duno how they work that out like . Up too 40cm on high ground wow :cold:

I am out of that warning by around 30 feet nooooooo. They do it to me on purpose am sure of it. :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny
2 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

I don't get that how can Stockton have a warning and not Middlesbrough or Cleveland 

Doesn't look right too me at all showers have got too get through the yellow warning before the amber lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

Which one of you lot is this? ? 

It's currently 2.2c here and judging by the drips I can see out the window the snow on my roof must be melting somewhat. We've got about 4 inches on the outside table where the snow instantly covered, maybe 3ish on the grass

FB_IMG_1519729909248.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Stozzy said:

Doesn't look right too me at all showers have got too get through the yellow warning before the amber lol

Exactly and its not as if Stockton is high ground either, baffled by that

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowmackem said:

Is this the persistent stuff due from about 4pm, showing on the Met updates?

Seems to fit within their predictions..And with pressure lowering slightly as the high edges North the flow becomes more unstable and troughs will develop along the flow..That's my reckoning anyways..!

Posted
8 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

I’m ignoring it. We’ve had just as much snow from the polar low last night as any other area. With a good thick covering on the ground already and with some good showers already this morning I think we’ll get hit just as bad as everyone else on low ground in the NE.

Posted

I didn't think there would be much meting today but it does appear to be on roofs. As expected though due to heating etc. 
As for the warnings if we get even close to another 10cm on top of what we have now then wow it will be good.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, NL said:

Seems to fit within their predictions..And with pressure lowering slightly as the high edges North the flow becomes more unstable and troughs will develop along the flow..That's my reckoning anyways..!

Cheers NL, yeah, would seem to fit, the timing looks about right if you study the sat pics animation, although they only show a small time window. I would think at that rate as a guess, increased activity would start showing up around 2 ish on the radar. Bring it on for Round 2!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Temps just high enough for a slight thaw, this wont be the case tomorrow though.

Great scenes driving to work this morning and roads pretty clear which is good

Posted
9 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

I’m ignoring it. We’ve had just as much snow from the polar low last night as any other area. With a good thick covering on the ground already and with some good showers already this morning I think we’ll get hit just as bad as everyone else on low ground in the NE.

That wasn't a Polar Low last night, it was a front that dropped down from the North East and was forecast a long way out, showing up on the models over the weekend.

A Polar Low is a rare beast indeed. It forms almost without warning in unstable Northerly airflows and have a tendency in this part of the world to run straight down the North Sea, do their damage and fill. I think typically they are only about 100 miles across max. Stand to be corrected/elaborated on by the experts, but it definitely wasn't a Polar Low as per meteorological definitions.

• Thanks 1

Posted

A slight thaw taking place but that is to be expected,  should only last to dark though, Dew point is dropping again looking forward to later when the fireworks start

Posted
1 minute ago, seabreeze86 said:

A slight thaw taking place but that is to be expected,  should only last to dark though, Dew point is dropping again looking forward to later when the fireworks start

Looking forward to our yellow snow. :D

But seriously MO are forecasting heavy snow this evening and throughout the night for Middlesbrough so God knows why they’ve missed us out from the Amber warning. 

• Like 1

Posted

If the Meto believe their own forecast for here of 46 hours of heavy snow with min of 80% chance then and temps -5 to -9 then surely must merit red warning 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
11 minutes ago, snowmackem said:

That wasn't a Polar Low last night, it was a front that dropped down from the North East and was forecast a long way out, showing up on the models over the weekend.

A Polar Low is a rare beast indeed. It forms almost without warning in unstable Northerly airflows and have a tendency in this part of the world to run straight down the North Sea, do their damage and fill. I think typically they are only about 100 miles across max. Stand to be corrected/elaborated on by the experts, but it definitely wasn't a Polar Low as per meteorological definitions.

Yes but for the purposes of this one it was referred to as a PL albeit not a true one.

Posted
10 minutes ago, P-M said:

Yes but for the purposes of this one it was referred to as a PL albeit not a true one.

Technically it wasn't a Polar Low but its characteristics were pretty similar..If the flow was Northerly it would certainly have been classed as a PL.

Here it was when it was just off the Norwegian coast.

5a9546437af29_ScreenShot2018-02-26at13_00_53.thumb.png.32f41879b757578d6fe5618536072169.png

5a95468974d27_ScreenShot2018-02-26at21_35_23.thumb.png.bc8bc09afbd96a52b63b0c073ab659fc.png

Edit..

Got BBC News on and the weather presenter just said that the low last night was a Polar low..Maybe the definition should be modified..If certain climatologists are correct and climates are shifting it would make sense to change criteria.

Edited by NL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1