Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Updated yellow warning for tomorrow

Between 00:05 Tue 27th and 23:55 Tue 27th

Snow showers or longer periods of snow are expected on Tuesday, accompanied by very low temperatures. This update removes much of southwest England, which now looks less likely to be affected. There is the potential for travel delays on roads, with some stranded vehicles and passengers, as well as delays or cancellations to rail and air travel. Some rural communities could become cut off. Power cuts may also occur and other services, such as mobile phones, may be affected.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Further snow showers are expected through Tuesday, with the potential for a more organised area of snow to push southwest across parts of England and Wales. Separate Amber warnings are being issued to cover those areas which currently look most likely to see impacts. There is the potential for 5-10 cm of snow in places though nearby locations may see only small accumulations of 0-2 cm. The warning area has been adjusted to take into account latest indications. Strong winds may lead to drifting of lying snow (and severe wind chill) especially over hills, with lightning perhaps an additional hazard near North Sea coasts.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-02-27

Posted

Updated cold weather alert

Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action

Issued at: 09:10 on Mon 26 Feb 2018

There is a 99% probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions/heavy snow between 0900 on Monday 26 Feb and 1500 on Saturday 03 Mar in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

General Situation: An exceptionally cold spell of weather is expected this coming week, with severe overnight frosts, daytime temperatures struggling to rise above freezing, strong winds leading to a significant wind chill and disruptive snow at times, particularly from Tuesday onwards. Various Amber and Yellow severe weather warnings for snow are in force through the period. On Monday, snow showers in eastern areas will spread westwards to central and some western areas. Overnight, snow showers will persist in eastern areas, with clear skies elsewhere. Early Tuesday, an organised band of snow will move southwestwards from northeast England to Northwest England, with scattered heavy snow showers developing elsewhere. Wednesday will see more frequent and heavy snow showers, especially in the northeast and potentially far southern parts of Cornwall and Devon. It will be bitterly cold, with daytime temperatures staying below freezing in many places. The wind will increase, and stay strong through to the end of the week, which as well as leading to a significant wind chill will also bring a risk of blowing snow and blizzard conditions. On Thursday, snow showers will be most frequent and heavy across northern parts, whilst the south may become drier for a time before a band of more persistent snow moves northwards later in the day, overnight and into Friday, with further snow showers following behind.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Updated AMBER for Wednesday into Thursday

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-02-28

Frequent and heavy snow showers are expected on Wednesday and Thursday leading to some significant accumulations developing. Long delays and cancellations on bus, rail and air travel could occur. Roads may become blocked by deep snow, with many stranded vehicles and passengers. Communities might be cut off for several days. Long interruptions to power supplies and other services such as telephone and mobile phone networks, could occur.

Snow showers will bring variable snow cover, but parts of northeast England and Scotland are expected to see the most frequent and organised snow showers from Wednesday morning to Thursday morning. During this time, 5-10 cm of snow is expected quite widely. Where showers become organised though, most likely across Scotland, areas of 15-25 cm are likely, locally as much as 40 cm. Strong winds will lead to drifting of snow and severe wind chill, while lightning could be an additional hazard, particularly near coasts. This warning has been updated to include a greater part of the Central Belt and increase the impact level based on the latest information.

Scotland set for the most snow from this warning

Edited by doctor32

Posted

Updated amber warning on Wednesday and Thursday has removed the south of the region

Durham

Gateshead

Newcastle upon Tyne

North Tyneside

Northumberland

South Tyneside

Sunderland

Between 06:00 Wed 28th and 12:00 Thu 1st

Frequent and heavy snow showers are expected on Wednesday and Thursday leading to some significant accumulations developing. Long delays and cancellations on bus, rail and air travel could occur. Roads may become blocked by deep snow, with many stranded vehicles and passengers. Communities might be cut off for several days. Long interruptions to power supplies and other services such as telephone and mobile phone networks, could occur.

Snow showers will bring variable snow cover, but parts of northeast England and Scotland are expected to see the most frequent and organised snow showers from Wednesday morning to Thursday morning. During this time, 5-10 cm of snow is expected quite widely. Where showers become organised though, most likely across Scotland, areas of 15-25 cm are likely, locally as much as 40 cm. Strong winds will lead to drifting of snow and severe wind chill, while lightning could be an additional hazard, particularly near coasts. This warning has been updated to include a greater part of the Central Belt and increase the impact level based on the latest information.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-03-01

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Freezing-Point said:

Please post link

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?region=ne&date=2018-02-27&regionType=area

Snow showers or longer periods of snow are expected on Tuesday, accompanied by very low temperatures. The heaviest, most persistent snow looks likely to cross the area during the morning - the focus has been adjusted northwards to take into account latest ideas, removing Lincolnshire but adding more of Yorkshire and areas towards Manchester, Teesside, Durham and Newcastle. There is the likelihood of travel delays on roads, with some stranded vehicles and passengers, as well as delays or cancellations to rail and air travel. Some rural communities could become cut off. Power cuts may also occur and other services, such as mobile phones, may be affected.

Posted

If you look at the GFS for Wednesday, you can see a kink in the flow passing over us, this will likely increase and intensify showers hence the metoffice amber warning maybe?

Posted
11 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Updated amber warning on Wednesday and Thursday has removed the south of the region

Durham

Gateshead

Newcastle upon Tyne

North Tyneside

Northumberland

South Tyneside

Sunderland

ESP STOCKTON

Between 06:00 Wed 28th and 12:00 Thu 1st

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-03-01

Edited this warning as it was slightly wrong. :yahoo:

Posted

Although these snow showers are pretty pants at the moment, will soon be dark and ground will be getting colder so everything that does fall out of the sky will start to settle i suppose

Posted
1 minute ago, jason6347 said:

So im in north tyneside am i still in the amber warning for wednesday?

Sure are, you will also see the showers for longer i suspect as areas to south will see these fade into thursday

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, tynevalleysnow said:

Could go red yet!

43FFC1D0-8007-40F9-9DC0-E8B1FF577FFB.png

If 40cm falls it will be a red more likely for parts of Scotland Northumberland could go red depending on the track

Posted
Just now, Summer Sun said:

If 40cm falls it will be a red more likely for parts of Scotland Northumberland could go red depending on the track

The severity is there just needs a slight more likelihood 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: not fussed

I wonder if many local schools will now decide to close tomorrow and Wednesday on the strength of those met office amber warnings ? ...it would certainly put me back in my daughter's 'good book' after my recent comments that she will be most likely having a couple of snow days :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted

Those of us in the South of the region I wouldn’t be too concerned about missing out on the Amber update. This could easily change should the showers become more favourable. 

Edited by Snowmaggedon

Posted

Out working in Blyth - fairly high broken cloud. No sign of anything sinister about to happen lol.

Only car thermometre to guage things on - inteterestingly has gone from 3 deg to 5 in last half hour - sign of more unstability? B4 u all bombard me, I know they are inaccurate, but from a relative point of view an obvious sudden uplift. Hmmm, is the Beast awakening? RRRRRROOOOOAAARRRRRRR!!!

Posted
9 minutes ago, Mercury Rising said:

I wonder if many local schools will now decide to close tomorrow and Wednesday on the strength of those met office amber warnings ? ...it would certainly put me back in my daughter's 'good book' after my recent comments that she will be most likely having a couple of snow days :yahoo:

Hi

no it’ll be morning checking-

whether staff can get in to maintain contact ratios

the site is safe

kitchen staff can offer the mandatory hot option

etc

• Thanks 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Mercury Rising said:

I work in a secondary school, we've made preparations today in case of needing to close tomorrow.

• Like 1