Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Unbelievable Jeff

Posted

Certainly a great week going out with an epic bang. I know there's many who want a 2-3 week spell, but for me personally I'd be happy with 1 great week and then back to normal.

Look at this GIF of the precipitation. Really illustrates the frontal snow heading up on Friday after a week of convective snow.

tempresult_ntk0.gif

• Like 2

Posted

Of course the track of the low is still very up in the air, a lot are thinking the models are pushing it through the deep cold far too easily so it may not end up like this, but seems good for us either way.

• Like 1

Posted

Although I think we will do very well out of this I do feel the North of the region will do better than us in the south. The wind direction on Wednesday seems to favour this. 

I maybe wrong of course am no pro lol. 

Posted
Just now, garylaverick said:

28mm accumulation by Friday morning. I've heard we can expect a conversion rate of up to 1:20 due to the depth of cold delivering dry powder snow, so that would make 56cm (22") of snow!

132-777UK.gifI read on the model thread, one of the respected posters talking about a conversion rate of 30 to 1 for snow falling at the Forecast uppers temps! That makes 84cm, although I think it must self- compact under it's own weight to a certain extent, but let's not quibble over minor details eh??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Just went outside for a fag (don't worry I only smoke 1/2 a day) the clouds are already coming in on a easterly ITS NEARLY HERE :D:yahoo:

Posted
  • Location: Llandysul, Wales SA44 SA39 550 ft work 650 ft sleep 7.5 shrivelled sheep. Never mind the borax. Spatulas/spoons from just 7 quid, chopping boards from 18 quid, boxes from 45 quid or so for a OK one, bigger stuff costs more obviously
  • Location: Llandysul, Wales SA44 SA39 550 ft work 650 ft sleep 7.5 shrivelled sheep. Never mind the borax. Spatulas/spoons from just 7 quid, chopping boards from 18 quid, boxes from 45 quid or so for a OK one, bigger stuff costs more obviously

It's freezing or just about freezing here.  A wind is blowing from the garden's most vulnerable direction.  I drove into Carmarthen earlier and saw a chap with all his stuff strapped to a sack truck, just standing there in the sun by the road not asking for anything.  Next week the sun will be gone and the wind harsher, it's going to be brutal.

Edit: Sorry I've posted wooly poetry in the wrong part of the country!

Edited by cruelwx
Idiocy
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It's ok I understand why you did it :D

Posted

To be honest I'm probably not the only one in Wales thread who wouldn't mind pretending to live in NE.  I've done a quick scan of your thread and you don't seem to have a bloke dominating the shop, telling everyone that they will be paralysed with snow every half  hour.

Though Gary posts a lot.

Edited by cruelwx
Gary
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
7 minutes ago, cruelwx said:

To be honest I'm probably not the only one in Wales thread who wouldn't mind pretending to live in NE.  I've done a quick scan of your thread and you don't seem to have a bloke dominating the shop, telling everyone that they will be paralysed with snow every half  hour.

Though Gary posts a lot.

In fairness Gavin (aka Summer Sun) tells of incoming 'milder' weather so keeps it well balanced here..!!:whistling:

Posted

I've thought about it a bit and most likely Gavin is Gary's wicked stepmother.

Posted

GFS 00z has same theme as 18z.. fronts hitting us and then we continue to get snow while milder air affects the south. ECM has 25.5 inches in weardale/teasdale by 216 hours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

For the whole week we are in very cold air with a good 120hrs of heavy snow showers and more persistant snow at times. Wind increasing too with bitter windchill, drifting snow and sub zero temperatures throughout (only briefly rising above for some)

Could not ask for anthing better for thus time of year.

Prob one of the best winters since 2010 for our region, very limited mild, wet and windy weather.

All eyes on the radar tonight!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

I think you guys are in for a suprise when you open your bedroom curtains Monday morning and see around 20cm of fresh snow blowing around.

Me too said that. my  Subaru legacy is ready to take on the Beast.:yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not warmth

Have I understood it right that currently the low is not modelled to be as progressive as on previous runs?

Posted
8 minutes ago, Dahonis said:

Have I understood it right that currently the low is not modelled to be as progressive as on previous runs?

From my amateur view I understand the GFS to be similar to previous runs. ECM looks less progressive. We would still get some frontal stuff but the Midlands and SW would get a real pasting before that.

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, NickR said:

From my amateur view I understand the GFS to be similar to previous runs. ECM looks less progressive. We would still get some frontal stuff but the Midlands and SW would get a real pasting before that.

I'd prefer we don't get affected by the low moving up from the south west as we may then get the milder air come next weekend. Keep it to the south of us and we'll continue with heavy snow blizzards off the north sea, they will compare with whatever comes from the low pressure. Less risk for still a big reward!

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, NickR said:

GFS 00z has same theme as 18z.. fronts hitting us and then we continue to get snow while milder air affects the south. ECM has 25.5 inches in weardale/teasdale by 216 hours.

Do you have the precipitation charts from over night? North East still in the firing line?

Posted

How about this for a midweek forecast.:clap:

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

Seriously cold with strong easterly winds giving significant wind chill. Snow showers becoming more widespread day on day, with the largest snowfalls across eastern Britain. Disruption is likely for many.

Updated at: 0153 on Sun 25 Feb 2018

• Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, cruelwx said:

Though Gary posts a lot.

What can I say, Saturday night TV isn't what it used to be!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not warmth
7 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Anyone expecting our yellow warnings for snow to be upgraded to amber (or even red) at any point next week? 

Red alert issued already. Wife wants to go to Beamish today......but in all seriousness, I think so. I think they will be updated fairly quickly when the showers arrive and we have a true idea of the convection issues and such like.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)
24 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Anyone expecting our yellow warnings for snow to be upgraded to amber (or even red) at any point next week? 

Warnings will be issued for thursday today, plus warnings already in place will be updated too.

I expect an amber warning being issued today if not then tomorrow for our region!

Edited by doctor32