Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Liam Dutton saying the snow will be dry the wrong type for building a snowman.

Bah humbug, we'll see

S80222-13130267.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
6 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Liam Dutton saying the snow will be dry the wrong type for building a snowman

Gav it was a joke :D, yeah I know it's due to the very low dew points I believe

Edited by Boro Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not warmth
14 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

I work in the civil service would love a snow day or two next week. But supposedly in the civil service if you’re place of work is within 60 minutes waking distance you are meant to walk to work! Sod that! Do we reckon it could be as disruptive and severe as 2008/09, 2009/10?

As a civil servant the staff handbook used to state report to your nearest Police Station.....times have changed and stations are shut!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Just now, Boro Snow said:

Gav it was a joke :D, yeah I know it's due to the very low few points I believe

I know the Igloo bit was lol

Just a general pointer that the snow could be of the drier variety rather than the wet stuff

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not warmth

Our civil contingencies advisor from the Met said we are looking at disruptive snow for most of next week......in our region.

• Like 1

Posted

Gav, can I ask your view on the accumulation charts. I know they vary model from model. From experience is there any better than others and you aware of any of them factor in convective snow as the gfs shows accumulations mainly to east coast's which would seem right from looking at radars in similar historic set ups.

Thanks in advance for your Meto postings, they are appreciated.

S80222-11422088.jpg

S80222-07003926.jpg

Edited by geordiekev
Both at T240, GFS top ECM below

Posted
10 minutes ago, geordiekev said:

Gav, can I ask your view on the accumulation charts. I know they vary model from model. From experience is there any better than others and you aware of any of them factor in convective snow as the gfs shows accumulations mainly to east coast's which would seem right from looking at radars in similar historic set ups.

Thanks in advance for your Meto postings, they are appreciated.

S80222-11422088.jpg

S80222-07003926.jpg

I was told posting the GFS ones are 'ludicrous' and the Weather.us are not the best

That's why I've moved onto ICON :rofl:

Seriously though ICON has picked up some 'streamers' so I'll be keeping a close eye on this model

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Thanks 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

I was told posting the GFS ones are 'ludicrous' and the Weather.us are not the best

That's why I've moved onto ICON :rofl:

Seriously though ICON has picked up some 'streamers' so I'll be keeping a close eye on this model

Cheers Gav, I'll be keeping an eye on the GFS charts v regional reports in 10 days time I guess, but your right the ICON does appear to have a good handle on convective showers. I have to say the model had been surprisingly consistent on the run in to this spell and definitely on the bookmark list.

Posted
1 minute ago, geordiekev said:

Cheers Gav, I'll be keeping an eye on the GFS charts v regional reports in 10 days time I guess, but your right the ICON does appear to have a good handle on convective showers. I have to say the model had been surprisingly consistent on the run in to this spell and definitely on the bookmark list.

One thing to take into consideration is GFS struggles with convective stuff which is what could be produced from the north sea next week if we ended up with lake effect snow at times the totals could mount up really quickly.

A lot of if's but's and whats at the moment fascinating watching finer details could literally be 12 to 24hrs max in advance

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snowmaggedon said:

I work in the civil service would love a snow day or two next week. But supposedly in the civil service if you’re place of work is within 60 minutes waking distance you are meant to walk to work! Sod that! Do we reckon it could be as disruptive and severe as 2008/09, 2009/10?

Some of the modelled uppers are projected to be lower than 08/09/10. Could well have more snowfall. All conjecture at this point tho. If the high sets up favourably, we could well have the most severe winter weather since the 80s/90s. No way to know at this point tho. By Monday we'll know for sure where the high is positioned and we'll be able to make better predictions. For what it's worth I don't think winter will be done with us until deep into March... 

• Like 1

Posted

If I was still living in the north east I would start to feel a little excited but still cautious because of just how close the centre of the high could get to the British isles which  make quite a different centre between  convective snow and something more drier.

I'll actually be back on Tyneside from the 12th of March, just wish I booked my holiday for next week instead! However be interesting to read this thread if a convective easterly does indeed arrive.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

If I was still living in the north east I would start to feel a little excited but still cautious because of just how close the centre of the high could get to the British isles which  make quite a different centre between  convective snow and something more drier.

I'll actually be back on Tyneside from the 12th of March, just wish I booked my holiday for next week instead! However be interesting to read this thread if a convective easterly does indeed arrive.

Don't worry , I'll save some for you when you come up from Blackpool, is it. I'm off to north Wales 16th March and havnt the figgiest what state the country will be by then. I think everything is up for grabs beyond first week of March, even the pros saying could last well into March.

Edited by geordiekev

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Unbelievable Jeff upgrades upgrades upgrades :cold::cold:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

cracking charts again this evening, no let down in the depth of cold and more importantly the amount of snow looks to be increasing every run now...

This is going to rival 2010 at this rate

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny

Looking good . We could be in the sweet spot in the country . 

Posted

My daughter is off to High Borrans near windermere Monday to Wednesday next week. Hopefully it will be clear enough in the west not disrupt their outdoor activities too much. Sending her with thermals though! Will the snow get as far as Cumbria? 

Posted
8 minutes ago, paddydog said:

My daughter is off to High Borrans near windermere Monday to Wednesday next week. Hopefully it will be clear enough in the west not disrupt their outdoor activities too much. Sending her with thermals though! Will the snow get as far as Cumbria? 

Potentially yes, especially if the expected trough develops and crosses the region heading west... best keep an eye on the forecast sunday evening mate

Posted
11 minutes ago, doctor32 said:

Potentially yes, especially if the expected trough develops and crosses the region heading west... best keep an eye on the forecast sunday evening mate

I guess some snow will enhance the experience in any case. As long as they aren't snowed in... 

Posted

Only negative thing about this cold spell is the affect it will have on my business, can see jobs getting put back and trouble getting to site.

We really will be looking at over 1ft of level snow by Friday next week if the models have this nailed now. Huge amounts of lake effect snowfall. From Tuesday onwards, the mornings will be chaos by the looks of it. Enjoy the school run :rofl:

Posted
1 minute ago, ZK099 said:

We really will be looking at over 1ft of level snow by Friday next week if the models have this nailed now. Huge amounts of lake effect snowfall. From Tuesday onwards, the mornings will be chaos by the looks of it. Enjoy the school run :rofl:

Surely we would be looking at school/work closures if this came off? It just carries on upgrading, unbelievable!

Posted
18 minutes ago, doctor32 said:

Only negative thing about this cold spell is the affect it will have on my business, can see jobs getting put back and trouble getting to site.

That was for me personally, obviously this could impact many people and the elderly which is also negative... Just want to add that to my comment above :good:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny
5 minutes ago, doctor32 said:

That was for me personally, obviously this could impact many people and the elderly which is also negative... Just want to add that to my comment above :good:

Luckily for me I'll be inside plastering in the warmth . People with outside jobs and people who have too travel a bit of distance could be troublesome