Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Paul

Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

Recommended Posts

Sorry all, we may never get to the bottom of where the previous thread went unfortunately, but here's a fresh thread to get going with..

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange... 

Well hopefully it will be full of busy in here come next weekend :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good to see this thread back - should be a lot of action next week to report hopefully:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paul said:

Sorry all, we may never get to the bottom of where the previous thread went unfortunately, but here's a fresh thread to get going with..

Someone got a bit trigger happy with the delete button, didn't they? :p

Anyway, you guys look lined up for some good streamers of snow on current output. Enjoy it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now then folks, it looks like we could be on the cusp of something special. Finally, our region and those counties on the eastern side of the country may be in the sweet spot for snow. Born in 1992 the only really memorable winters I’m able to properly remember are 08/09 and 09/10; what’s the possibility of the forthcoming cold spell being just as memorable? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to say good night to my rock and snow buddy last week, RIP Buster at the Grand age of nearly 13.  This was him just before New Year enjoying his last real snow event.

Have to thank him for the 12 years we've both shared in snowy Dipton together.

S80218-07394079.jpg

I think he's had Words with the snow Gods though as the night he passed I'd like to think he arranged the pasting I had, alongside the one 2 days later and then 2 days after again, so I'm quite hopeful he will deliver a stonker 💞

P80206-112629.jpg

The morning after sent to cheer me up, and then 2 days later.

P80209-101629.jpg

And then again 2 days after.

P80211-013545.jpg

Thanks Buster, my snow angel ⛄😇 

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must not forget my new BFF though, Sonny, he's following in his adopted dad's pawprints, although he's still a bit daft, at 5 months and thinks he's a reindeer at times when he sees the snow ❄

P80121-160515(1).jpg

P80120-161640.jpg

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, geordiekev said:

 

Edited by geordiekev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the thread that got mysteriously deleted, someone asked for thread from the start of that notorious 2009/2010 winter. Had a few spare minutes so found it (it's a bit trickier as the names are different and they never got moved into the regional discussion forum, but it starts here)

 

Edited by Deep Snow please
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it very hard to follow what scenarios like the one on the horizon mean for us. There are frequent references to how various SE/EA parts will be "buried", as if no other parts will. Any more wide-ranging analysis of how e.g. we might be affected?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NickR said:

I find it very hard to follow what scenarios like the one on the horizon mean for us. There are frequent references to how various SE/EA parts will be "buried", as if no other parts will. Any more wide-ranging analysis of how e.g. we might be affected?

Depends entirely on wind direction and where the low heights are, on this particular chart the low heights stretch all over but a ENE wind from GFS 06Z for your region - lake effect snowfall. 

03266CF2-5E73-4CED-8352-9E5806BD617E.thumb.png.c08c1efe67fd9c7034010a35f0b746fd.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, geordiekev said:

Had to say good night to my rock and snow buddy last week, RIP Buster at the Grand age of nearly 13.  This was him just before New Year enjoying his last real snow event.

Have to thank him for the 12 years we've both shared in snowy Dipton together.

S80218-07394079.jpg

I think he's had Words with the snow Gods though as the night he passed I'd like to think he arranged the pasting I had, alongside the one 2 days later and then 2 days after again, so I'm quite hopeful he will deliver a stonker.

 

Thanks Buster, my snow angel ⛄😇 

Sorry to hear this, you can get very attached to pets. Especially as they always there no matter what and usually put a smile on your face when you down.

Least you have sonny to step in the footsteps of...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, NickR said:

I find it very hard to follow what scenarios like the one on the horizon mean for us. There are frequent references to how various SE/EA parts will be "buried", as if no other parts will. Any more wide-ranging analysis of how e.g. we might be affected?

It will be a metter of wait and see, still too far away for any detail. Although increasing support for an easterly and northern blocking, the depth of cold and wind direction and not to mention complications regarding troughs and lows developing to our east as they move in... My mind boggles.

Lets just say, cold is coming, snow chance increasing and we in a good place if things fall right for a potential decent cold spell and disruptive snow via the north sea snow machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Depends entirely on wind direction and where the low heights are, on this particular chart the low heights stretch all over but a ENE wind from GFS 06Z for your region - lake effect snowfall. 

03266CF2-5E73-4CED-8352-9E5806BD617E.thumb.png.c08c1efe67fd9c7034010a35f0b746fd.png

Sorry peeps, I hope I didn't jinx it but told most at work on the night shift to expect a week of snow from Sunday, that was going off the gfs show charts shown on the 18z, however the snow depth charts weren't the most tantalizing in regards to depth but showed accumulations remaining for most of the region for nearly 6 days. 

As long it is not a slack flow, the North Sea will be our friend as usual. A fair few more than expected, have been quite lucky from westerlies since November, which should have been write offs, so I'm quite hopeful our need for luck will not be as strong.

People quoting sun strength etc are talking tosh for us up here, there's still a few patches remaining up here despite the milder interlude. I've had many a snowy mid March birthday over the years and without milder westerly interludes we should fair better at our latitudes. 

Thanks for your kind words also, having a hound is my excuse for getting out in the snow rather than just watching out the window and for the company for the 6 months I'm not glued to this excellent friendly forum 👏

 

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we are in for a real shock when it reaches our shores......going to be particularly busy period work wise. A1 and A19 being the usual snow traps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest MO long ranger is bloody brilliant, another upgrade! Think we could inform some very wintry scenes next week, I’m still resisting the urge to tell everyone. I know the MO continue to reference South, East and Central parts but I reckon this includes us. Let’s not forget this forecast is meant to be for the whole of the British Isles. So whereas the wintry blasts earlier on in the winter favoured the West this looks like it will indeed favour us. 

Edited by Snowmaggedon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must say i am getting a tad excited by what i am seeing in the models, especially GFS.

very cold and very snowy starting this time next week.

Detail of significant snowfall wont be known till nearer the time, but boy is there potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it wishful thinking or is there a CHANCE we could see some of the best snow totals from this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With an Easterly and living in the East i would hope we are in with a good chance as anyone for some good snow. 

P.s when is a good time to tell the kids......:rofl:

Edited by NorthEastSnow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NorthEastSnow said:

With an Easterly and living in the East i would hope we are in with a good chance as anyone for some good snow. 

P.s when is a good time to tell the kids......:rofl:

When you can actually see the snow falling!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It might still turn out a bit above freezing most days, with patchy drizzle or sleet on the coast and snow flurries inland.
The North East gets most snow when there's a long fetch North Easterly; east winds are unpredictable, so much depends on source of the air and how much it is modified  near the surface when crossing the North Sea - at 6c or whatever.
All the fuss in main model threads is because the SE has a short sea track and might actually see a few days barely above freezing.
Complications arise if a Low Pressure tries to move up into the cold flow but gets stalled - anywhere could get a significant snowfall if that happens.
 

Edited by 4wd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, 4wd said:

It might still turn out a bit above freezing most days, with patchy drizzle or sleet on the coast and snow flurries inland.
The North East gets most snow when there's a long fetch North Easterly; east winds are unpredictable, so much depends on source of the air and how much it is modified  near the surface when crossing the North Sea - at 6c or whatever.
All the fuss in main model threads is because the SE has a short sea track and might actually see a few days barely above freezing.
Complications arise if a Low Pressure tries to move up into the cold flow but gets stalled - anywhere could get a significant snowfall if that happens.
 

Think your being a little reserved with your thoughts. Surely these predicted uppers of near -14c (even if watered down a touch) would bring plenty snow showers if the flow right and pressure not too high.

Going off tonights runs, plenty for us surely mate?? :good:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, 4wd said:

It might still turn out a bit above freezing most days, with patchy drizzle or sleet on the coast and snow flurries inland.
The North East gets most snow when there's a long fetch North Easterly; east winds are unpredictable, so much depends on source of the air and how much it is modified  near the surface when crossing the North Sea - at 6c or whatever.
All the fuss in main model threads is because the SE has a short sea track and might actually see a few days barely above freezing.
Complications arise if a Low Pressure tries to move up into the cold flow but gets stalled - anywhere could get a significant snowfall if that happens.
 

Is there a word for anti-ramping?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things are looking epic . Think if we get these charts this time tmorrow I just may start too believe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×