IGNORED

SSW Related Cold Spell - It's here

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
26 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Significant snow around mid next week?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/43164159

coolest ever, but don't think the snowfest low will get this far north and west, similar track to 11th Dec 2017, SE event

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

NHS England are now preparing, I'd imagine a new alert will appear today (Friday)   https://www.england.nhs.uk/news/

First weather warning for next week#s snow out from Met OFfice, East Anglia and SE. Also Eastern Britain Tues onwards. Other areas will get snow and warnings, this will be a drip feed. 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings

2302coldwxwarn.png

2302snowMOwarn7am.png

2302snowMOwarn8am.png

Edited by Jo Farrow
adding tues east yellow warning
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Level 3 cold weather alert issued - one below a red national emergency

Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action

Issued at: 08:59 on Fri 23 Feb 2018

There is a 99% probability of severe cold weather, icy conditions and heavy snow between 0900 on Friday 23 Feb and 0800 on Thursday 01 Mar in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

Cold weather is currently established across the country with widespread overnight frosts. However colder conditions are expected to extend westwards across England during the weekend bringing a significant, and prolonged period of wintry weather. Whilst temperatures are likely to recover slightly by day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, with some sunshine, there will be a notable wind chill, especially in the southeast. During Monday and Tuesday, snow showers are expected to move into eastern areas, before spreading westwards across England. These have the potential to align into bands, bringing some significant accumulations. Not everyone will see snowfall, however 5-10cm is possible where showers do line up, with the greatest risk across eastern and southeastern counties. These will also be accompanied by bitterly cold temperatures, and a significant wind chill. These cold, wintery conditions are then expected to continue Wednesday, and likely beyond, however confidence is low regarding any details at this stage. A further updates and extension to this alert is therefore expected on Monday.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

• Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

Level 3 cold weather alert issued - one below a red national emergency

Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action

Issued at: 08:59 on Fri 23 Feb 2018

There is a 99% probability of severe cold weather, icy conditions and heavy snow between 0900 on Friday 23 Feb and 0800 on Thursday 01 Mar in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

Cold weather is currently established across the country with widespread overnight frosts. However colder conditions are expected to extend westwards across England during the weekend bringing a significant, and prolonged period of wintry weather. Whilst temperatures are likely to recover slightly by day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, with some sunshine, there will be a notable wind chill, especially in the southeast. During Monday and Tuesday, snow showers are expected to move into eastern areas, before spreading westwards across England. These have the potential to align into bands, bringing some significant accumulations. Not everyone will see snowfall, however 5-10cm is possible where showers do line up, with the greatest risk across eastern and southeastern counties. These will also be accompanied by bitterly cold temperatures, and a significant wind chill. These cold, wintery conditions are then expected to continue Wednesday, and likely beyond, however confidence is low regarding any details at this stage. A further updates and extension to this alert is therefore expected on Monday.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Wow Starting to crank up a little now. Just shows how severe this could be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I saw some people debating whether snow would melt in the day time. In prolonged sunny spells, yes, absolutely. But it will also have no problem settling in the day.

Posted

I think that the snow in the winter of 1962/63 was amplified by an Atlantic low crossing N. France, leastways that's what I thought caused the 14ft drifts in our lane in east Kent. In 1947 there were only radio forecasts and I didn't pay much attention to them but in both winters the frozen sea off Margate seems to have been the yardstick for temperatures.

Posted
5 minutes ago, ian33nw said:

Never in my 15 years on here have I seen this from the met office

Screenshot_20180223-100120.png

Can't see that when I checked online? Showing yellow warnings for south east??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds

Why hasn't BBC News even got an article on the approaching cold?!? 

Anyway a seriously & dangerously cold GFS Run! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
Just now, memories of 63 said:

Where are these amber warnings from? All I've got on my met office app is a yellow warning for Tuesday.

These are not weather warnings! These are based around contingency planning & health affects of the cold.  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
Just now, memories of 63 said:

Where are these amber warnings from? All I've got on my met office app is a yellow warning for Tuesday.

It’s not a public weather warning, it’s a met briefing for public service providers.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, MattTarrant said:

Thank God I say whenever the media over hype a cold spell it disappars!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Cold weather.
25 minutes ago, MattTarrant said:

I'd imagine they still are just waiting to be sure, nobody likes to overhype things but even though I never hype things this cold spell needs to be hyped !!! :yahoo:

If I was travelling you'd really have to consider to chances of disruption and getting stuck somewhere. Not a nice experience. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
1 minute ago, Fergie said:

I'd imagine they still are just waiting to be sure, nobody likes to overhype things but even though I never hype things this cold spell needs to be hyped !!! :yahoo:

If I was travelling you'd really have to consider to chances of disruption and getting stuck somewhere. Not a nice experience. 

They’ll still be waiting on Sunday by the sound of it!! ?

Wake Up BBC look at the charts!

Posted
5 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

They’ll still be waiting on Sunday by the sound of it!! ?

Wake Up BBC look at the charts!

First big test for Meteo Group since they replaced the Met Office on the BBC