Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Post SSW - Will it turn cold?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted

I think overall we are still on for an exceptionally cold hit.

I think there is more uncertainty creeping in though which is inevitable, let's be honest. Actually seeing quite a split now in evolution to 96 hrs. Hopefully one way or another we'll have more agreement on the 72 - 96hr forecast by tomorrow which will help clarify things for us later on. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

GEFS highlight the facts clearly.

Just look at the spread from 23rd!!

IMG_3347.thumb.PNG.bcf0e394b22573ba11344d0f86a4b72d.PNG

I know they can be easy to ignore but they are an important tool in deciphering the probability of the operational run, 

tight clustering = high confidence in outcome

large spread = low confidence in outcome

in laymans terms, until we see solid clustering on that cold pool smashing into the UK then nothing is guaranteed, and frankly ensemble data is the true forecast tool, taking operational runs in isolation can lead to a skewed view of probabilities and ultimately a misrepresented view of model performance.

That being said obviously we are still in with a massive chance of proper cold just that the spread on the ensembles highlight the other routes we could end up with.

• Like 1

Posted

My word we have one model on one run that doesn’t give us blizzards on day 8 and 9 and the world crashes in. 

I think we’ve been fortunate to have most of the models agreeing at 96 and some at 120 

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, chris55 said:

I know they can be easy to ignore but they are an important tool in deciphering the probability of the operational run, 

in laymans terms, until we see solid clustering on that cold pool smashing into the UK then nothing is guaranteed, and frankly ensemble data is the true forecast tool, taking operational runs in isolation can lead to a skewed view of probabilities and ultimately a misrepresented view of model performance.

That being said obviously we are still in with a massive chance of proper cold just that the spread on the ensembles highlight the other routes we could end up with.

All absolutely correct although that dispersed spread is heavily weighted towards variations on cold. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
5 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Not being picky, Chris, I would say the 24th (every day matters!) As massive scatters go, that is a scatter in the coldies favour for sure.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Banbury said:

My word we have one model on one run that doesn’t give us blizzards on day 8 and 9 and the world crashes in. 

I think we’ve been fortunate to have most of the models agreeing at 96 and some at 120 

The models don't agree at 96 hrs.

ECM

ECM1-96.GIF?18-0

GFS

gfs-0-96.png?12

That difference in the trajectory of those height rises (more north north-east on ECM) and that extra bit of energy over the top may look benign enough there - it's actually very significant with real changes at 120 + on the back of it. GFS/NAVGEM/ARPEGE/GEM/JMA - these are very similar and give us the best outcome. The others are not so great.

Plenty of time - it's going to change, hopefully it goes the way of the consortium listed. At least we'll see convergence over the next couple of runs.

Edited by The Eagle
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

Indeed. Though plenty of ‘cold’ options amongst those ensembles would be cold enough. As long as it’s cold enough for some snow and ‘proper’ winter weather for a bit, I can live without the severe. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Not sure what models the BBC World service use for their weather for the week a head. Yes cold established in most of Europe by mid week quite widely but from what I made of the graphics still had much of the British Isles in mild air mass for mid week and talk of gradually getting colder in SE by Thursday with a max of 9/c, hardly edge of the seat forecast. May be still some doubt of the extent of the cold advection west not yet shown in some of the main models. Just an observation of what I just watched. 

C

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
2 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Not sure what models the BBC World service use for their weather for the week a head. Yes cold established in most of Europe by mid week quite widely but from what I made of the graphics still had much of the British Isles in mild air mass for mid week and talk of gradually getting colder in SE by Thursday with a max of 9/c, hardly edge of the seat forecast. May be still some doubt of the extent of the cold advection west not yet shown in some of the main models. Just an observation of what I just watched. 

C

Before this speak of BBC etc gets deleted, it`s a true report C.

ECM Friday.

ECM0-120.GIF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

The EC Op does appear to be out of kilter with the rest of its suite when looking at Pressure and Z500 ensembles.

graphe_ens3.php?mode=1&x=285&y=6&run=12&graphe_ens3.php?mode=2&x=285&y=6&run=12&

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, vizzy2004 said:

The EC Op does appear to be out of kilter with the rest of its suite when looking at Pressure and Z500 ensembles.

graphe_ens3.php?mode=1&x=285&y=6&run=12&graphe_ens3.php?mode=2&x=285&y=6&run=12&

This will keep this place smiling - good news 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Very happy with the ECM ensemble mean

EDM1-240.GIF

But we've seen two op runs that highlight the risks that we face, the GFS 0z taking the High too far north, and the ECM 12z leaving the block too close to the UK so the cold air goes south.   And, of course, all the other runs that say Game on!

Should we be worried?  Not today, let's see what tomorrow's runs bring.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Ec ops clearly outside the ens window re pressure centring over us. Very little support for t216+ Synoptics 

AE695297-4541-4C38-96C4-341040CC5178.jpeg

Distorting the mean a bit as well. Quite positive.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

And the mean has something to say about the coldest air heading to Spain 

F308F465-38D6-46E6-985A-DAB16BA55A9C.thumb.png.c92567aec13a293d26682a6c2bca137b.png36F8E20B-AD51-48DF-B50C-3AE27121B9E1.thumb.png.0b46fd68a26dd461a11f2d592a3a02c8.pngF87B982C-1272-4AB9-8002-2EEE033CA778.thumb.jpeg.81666a19f9c7b8bc493d85c8dfce1e3c.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
13 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch100 said:

Well the ECM mean is fantastic so I wouldn't worry too much about the op.

It is a definite shift to the south.

EDH1-216.GIF?18-0

But only one run. With luck a bit further north tomorrow...

Posted
5 minutes ago, Banbury said:

Two models lol 

I think most give us a Similar picture at 96 

Don't think so.

GEM

gem-0-96.png?12

GFS

gfs-0-96.png?12

ICON

icon-0-96.png?18-12

UKMO

UW96-21.GIF?18-18

Crucial time period for the evolution here. The differences are fairly significant.

Edited by The Eagle
  • Like 1