Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Post SSW - Will it turn cold?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

South of England in its entirety!!!!!! Not just the SE!! :p

5EF6AD8A-0B2D-41C7-BC71-513DF0844412.thumb.png.be215ab48907124471bfb78df4565a95.png

Yes karlos southern England could be in for a dumping..:cold::cold:

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

I was supposed to be going to see Paul Weller at the NEC on the 2nd of March, but looking at the current output that could put the cat among the pigeons, in terms of getting there, but then again it is 10 days away.

Posted

Nuts run - best run yet in terms of widespread snow cover but higher risk getting so close to the higher uppers to our south

ecm day day spreads on 850’s indicates this is a cluster on the eps table 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Southender said:

Bonkers run. Start to finish, locked in cold, snow showers, frontal snow & blizzards, reloads, greenie highs and the lot for all. Bank please

It's bizzare isn't it. Every run we scream "they can't get better than this" and every run there's some iteration that is better for certain people. This is probably not quite as good as last nights but it's not really any worse.

Anyway precip rates seem a bit odd - as has been pointed out above, only 8-10cm in 12 hours from that blizzard according to the precip chart, not a chance.

No chart available for the selected hour. Many charts start at 3 hours ahead, so if you have 0 hours selected try stepping forward or selecting a later hour.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Looks lije the entire polar vortex is heading for northern europe on this run

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
18 minutes ago, sarahjhd said:

How do you get to this?

Let's say the chance of getting a massive high-latitude block like currently modeled in a year are 20%, 1 in 5 (only for illustration), this is probably a requirement for all three things MIA quoted: beast from the east, channel low and polar vortex low.  This means if you take into account the correlation and not count this probability three times, you'd need to reduce the odds of the combination by about a factor 5*5 = 25. 

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Signs starting appear in the output now of a more prolonged nature to this cold spell, (should we be calling it that? Doesn’t seem to do it justice) 

worth watching he ens now for that signal in the extended range!

yet another great start to the day. I’m exhausted!

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Southender said:

Looks like the Atlantic might make it in....

By March 8th. Bless it.

Yup, seems to be making inroads at the absolute la la land end of the run, with a mild SW'ly breeze and some rain for the south coast. Probably be welcomed by many at that point!

No chart available for the selected hour. Many charts start at 3 hours ahead, so if you have 0 hours selected try stepping forward or selecting a later hour.

Posted

Slightly unexpected cluster on the ECM ensembles this morning:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018022000_192.

Cluster 2 looks a touch more northerly than easterly. Won't stop it being cold but might change the longevity of the cold pool over the UK and the volume of snow that could be achieved.

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Catacol said:

I'll hold to the claims. I think the next 2 weeks could go down in the history books as one of those special events. A ramp? Yes - but take a look at the output and the signals. All irrelevant now of course cos it hasn't happened yet - but after the event we can review. :-)

Personally I feel the above is a very fair assessment of the current situation based on the output I have seen.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD
18 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

I was supposed to be going to see Paul Weller at the NEC on the 2nd of March, but looking at the current output that could put the cat among the pigeons, in terms of getting there, but then again it is 10 days away.

You might want to go " down in the tude station at midnight" to warm up!!!

i will get my coat:hi:

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Slightly unexpected cluster on the ECM ensembles this morning:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018022000_192.

Cluster 2 looks a touch more northerly than easterly. Won't stop it being cold but might change the longevity of the cold pool over the UK and the volume of snow that could be achieved.

I'm not sure the 'really' cold air ever makes it in cluster 2 (high presumably moves West at a lower latitude across the UK, with lowest thickness kept South of the UK) - has 39% of ensemble members too. Let's hope it's reduced/gone in the 12Z run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Oh my days I got up to T231hrs on the GFS 6z and then had to do a bit of work . Finish my bit of work and I start running through the 6z again and just keeps on coming . Bloody amazing ?

IMG_1660.PNG

IMG_1661.PNG

IMG_1662.PNG

IMG_1663.PNG

IMG_1664.PNG

IMG_1665.PNG

IMG_1666.PNG

IMG_1667.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

STEP AWAY FROM THE IPAD Soaring Hawk!!! NICE AND SLOWLY NOW...

8649BD79-4CC1-42D4-8D36-88826C73D3F3.png

Edited by Soaring Hawk
Can’t with runs that include this...

Posted
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Signs starting appear in the output now of a more prolonged nature to this cold spell, (should we be calling it that? Doesn’t seem to do it justice) 

worth watching he ens now for that signal in the extended range!

yet another great start to the day. I’m exhausted!

Exeters 16/30 dayer didn’t see the cold ending before the 6th March at the earliest  so no surprise to see it extending on the modelling. 

Note a 40% cluster appearing day 8 on the eps which is a more northerly flow as clos r to yesterday’s 00z run if I recall. 

also 50/50 on the easterly arriving earlier as per gfs/ukmo 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold cold cold!!

So pretty much all the runs since end of last week have been showing an epic end to winter.

Even a slight downgrade between now and Sunday morning we would still end up with a truly epic end to winter. 

Amazing times, enjoy all!!

I hope the councils are prepared for what is coming!! 

MNR

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

It's bizzare isn't it. Every run we scream "they can't get better than this" and every run there's some iteration that is better for certain people. This is probably not quite as good as last nights but it's not really any worse.

Anyway precip rates seem a bit odd - as has been pointed out above, only 8-10cm in 12 hours from that blizzard according to the precip chart, not a chance.

A foot of snow in March !!! - Seriously??

3 minutes ago, radiohead said:

06Z GEFS mean is in agreement with op in showing a slower movement of colder air. Not a downgrade, just an issue of timing.

The cold coming in a little later wouldn't be all that bad as the timing of the cold coming in is due to the block tilting but this is the point the block starts to cut off the cold pool from the siberian pool so a little longer just means the deeper the cold could get 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Severe wintry carnage on the Gfs 6z, oh boy are we in for some fun in the next few weeks!!:cold::D:shok:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1